PDA

View Full Version : having trouble cleaning wheels

johnzm
07-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Hi,

i have something on my wheels that could be overspray, but its causing a coating on my wheels that i cannot get off

so far, i have tried..

claybar
full strength wheel brightener
DG501

nothing budges it. i can remove some of it if i scratch at it very hard with my fingernail.

id like to make the removal easy and not have to spend a whole day on a wheel. any ideas?

FUNX650
07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
i have something on my wheels that
could be overspray, but its causing a
coating on my wheels that i cannot get off

From here:
It looks like the wheel's protective film
layer of Clear-Coat is peeling/failing.

(Hope my long-distance assessment
is wrong...)

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_32162.JPG

Bob

evo77
07-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Is the finish glossy and smooth underneath this film?

If not I agree with Bob that it may be clear coat failure.

briarpatch
07-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Was about to say the same thing.....looks like clear coat failure

johnzm
07-24-2017, 02:05 PM
The finish under what's coming up is glossy like the other wheels.
I'll see if I can get a better angle on the picture

Eldorado2k
07-24-2017, 02:19 PM
That's the clear coat, no doubt. Sometimes it takes a while, like weeks even up to a month or 2 of exposure before the basecoat really begins to show its signs of being bare and uncoated and then it fades and fades. I've seen that happen with some paint on my car.

johnzm
07-24-2017, 02:35 PM
That's the clear coat, no doubt. Sometimes it takes a while, like weeks even up to a month or 2 of exposure before the basecoat really begins to show its signs of being bare and uncoated and then it fades and fades. I've seen that happen with some paint on my car.

so this is a wheel on a car with under 30k miles. i got it used so im not sure how this got on there, but under this it is very glossy. the part in the middle of the pictures has been this way for 10k miles now and is not showing any signs of further degradation.whatever is on the wheel, it feels rough when i scratch at it with my nail but once its off, it feels like normal finish under it.

Eldorado2k
07-24-2017, 02:39 PM
That pic that Bob zoomed in on looks quite suspect of clearcoat peeling off. Wheel Brightener undiluted? How many times have you gotten that aggressive with the cleaning? Lol.

johnzm
07-24-2017, 02:44 PM
That pic that Bob zoomed in on looks quite suspect of clearcoat peeling off. Wheel Brightener undiluted? How many times have you gotten that aggressive with the cleaning? Lol.

well only ever since i started working on this wheel ;)

there looks to be some refinish work on the other side of the wheel which makes me think its some sort of overspray. i think something with a little cut in it might lift it off, but i expected DG501 to be able to lift overspray and it didnt do anything to whatever this is

02special
07-24-2017, 05:48 PM
just an observation but, (judging by bobs/your pics) looks like your calipers and the wheel barrels are/were painted, possibly before you obtained the vehicle? Then my guess is this is some sort of over spray, the pros will help how to fix this becauseI am not one of those. hope this helps .

jimd@mothers
07-24-2017, 06:52 PM
I'll agree that it looks like the wheel was refinished, but it's not holding up.

392hemi
07-24-2017, 07:17 PM
What kind of car is it?

It does look they were refinished possibly. I've seen cars with low miles sold with wheels swapped from other similar cars... Or was damaged that was repaired.