PDA

View Full Version : Tales of a rebellious man

Pages : [1] 2

TJinFL
07-23-2017, 01:56 PM
About a year ago I began my journey into the world of detailing. Car detailing that is. Now up to that point my expertise had progressed to a home grown detailing style of one bucket wash using imitation chamois's and a once a year hand application of Klasse AIO with Colinite 476s as the final topping.

My cars looked good enough in my eyes. But then I began to be drawn by some powerful yet indiscernible force to the AutoGeek website. I soon became aware of the “lacking” in my detailing efforts so far. I discovered that I was missing out on a major satisfaction in my life. Namely having my cars “groomed” to their max.

So I joined the forum at AutoGeek and began spending endless hours following threads, watching videos, and researching products and techniques.

Finally I got up my nerve and made a few posts in which I quickly discovered that my artificial chamois's were ruining my paint's finish and that I needed to invest in a machine polisher with many sets of buffer pads of various sizes and degrees of aggressiveness. Also I needed dozens of microfiber towels of varying degrees of softness. Then of course there were the chemicals. IronX, car wash formulas, waxes, polishes, compounds,sealants, coatings, Pad cleaner, and interior cleaners duplicating many of the aforementioned categories. Then there were products for maintaining the tires, glass, plastic trim, vacuums,air blowers, and on and on.

Now being a man I began to get very excited about all this. Especially honing in on the polisher and pads wars.

Soon my arsenal of detailing productshad gown to include about 15 mf towels, a polisher, about 2 dozen polishing pads, Iron X, HD Speed, McKee's 37 Coating Prep and Paint Coating, several buckets and a wash rack, McKee's 914 Rinseless Wash, WG Exterior Trim Sealant, Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner, Mequiars UQD, Meguiars UP & UC, Optimum Car Wax, Optimum NoRinse Wax & Wash, McKee's Plastic Trim Stain Remover, claybar & Nanoskin Softscrub, several sprayers for my various chemical and soon!

Now many of these products especially the one's which duplicate each other came as I moved towards coatings away from waxes.

But as my zeal for accumulating began to run into my zeal for not wanting to waste money, I began to see a pattern much like my late mother's where at one point she spent about$1000 a month on items from HSN & QVC. Many of these boxes began accumulating in the garage never being opened!

Now at the beginning of all this (last July 2016), I had gone over my car with Klasse AIO and Collinite 476s. Then I maintained the finish with first MUQD and then ONR and OCW. Which kept the finish looking very good with much water beading up until the end of the love bug season about a month ago or for about a year.

Now as the practical side of me began to take over I began to anguish over all the hundreds of dollars I had wasted (cringe, cringe) as it became apparent that contrary to popular belief at least in my case my 1 year old Toyota RAV4 had no swirls and didn't need to be IronXed. That my original routine of Klasse AOI and Collinite 476s once a year followed up with Optimum ONR & OCW when needed did a good job of keeping the car looking very good. Now I admit that switching to microfiber was a major improvement I encountered from my AutoGeek time.

So recently it became time to detail my car. What to do?? My old Klasse AIO & 476s routine which I was sorely tempted to continue due to how well it worked for me with the ONR & OCW followups or the new McKee's 37 Paint Coating? Well finally I opted for the coating with curiosity being the main driver or was it to protect my male(there's that word again) ego?

So I did the baggie test and concluded I should do the Nanoskin Softscrup fine sponge thing with ONR concentrated to about 1 in 32 as a lubricant. This took a lot longer than I thought it would and I wasn't thrilled with the way the sponge wanted to stick to the surface/paint. But I got through it in probably about and hour and a half. Not perfect but much better than before. More on that later.

Then I taped my black trim with the blue painter's tape which was not much fun and took probably an hour.

The I began to apply the McKee's 37 Paint Coating Prep. This took a long time as I wanted to be sure I covered all the areas the Coating was going on. I found it hard to see what I had done and what was uncovered as the paint is really in good condition and the solution became clear when applied and was hard to see the coverage. So there was a lot of going back forth and over and over to make sure of the coverage. Probably took an hour and a half.

Then I was running out of time. So I did one application of the coating last evening and another this morning. Probably an hour per application.

When I finished last evening I was pretty tired. I am an old man of 72 but then I run 4 miles 3 times a week so as you can get some idea of what kind of shape I am in. I wasn't having warm thoughts toward the whole coating thing. But as I look at the car today it does look pretty good. Probably more glassy looking than with the 476s but not enough to make a big deal with me.

So I guess any conclusions await how this finish holds up over the next 12 months and 2 love bug seasons. I am not sure how to maintain this car. Do I just do McKee's 914 washes. Or do I do the ONR and OCW? At first I will do the 914 say weekly. If the finish starts to go I could just do the coating over again. But to be honest my impression is that I suspect I will probably go back to 476s as it doesn't look to me I saved anything by doing the coating. You have to wash either way.

Getting back to my original theme. Tales of a rebellious man. I would offer these thoughts. I drive a2016 RAV4 and 1995 Toyota T100. The RAV4 is just a practical non-inspiring vehicle though very dependable. It occurs to me that it is just idiocy to get carried away with maintaining a show car finish on it. Chips, scratches, dings and perhaps much worse are lurking around the corner then what? Basically I have wasted my money on the polisher and pads as they are not needed yet except perhaps for the truck. But even as old as it is it really doesn't have much in the ways of swirls. I can polish it by my old methods and the appearance to me is pretty good and appropriate considering all the nicks and dings it has accumulated.

Now in my recent procedure/detail by AG standards I should have used a dozen polishing pads and several dozen mf towels. I used 4 pads and 3 towels. And though I have many“better” mf towels I used one's from Costco and they worked great. Say what you want the finish is the answer and I have no scratches even under a optivisor and intense LED light or sunlight for that matter!

So there you have the testimony of a rebellious man after probably 1.5 years of AG influence. Excuse my typos but I have no inclination to proof read this!

TJinFL

Kamakaz1961
07-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Way cool story! You obviously have the same disease everyone here does.....AGO open my wallet and spend and curse and still buy more disease!!

Have an awesome day! PS: I have curtailed my purchasing of many products as I still have a lot left. I only buy when I need to replenish my supplies. I have narrowed my products down to just a few....not 20 or 30 like before!..LOL

RippyD
07-23-2017, 02:28 PM
This place is perhaps not good if you want to be happy with your car. For the non-pros (like you and me) our cars no doubt look far better than ever. Despite that, all we see is the issues we haven't yet addressed and we're now aware of the smallest defect or any dirt.

wgasa84
07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
This place is perhaps not good if you want to be happy with your car. For the non-pros (like you and me) our cars no doubt look far better than ever. Despite that, all we see is the issues we haven't yet addressed and we're now aware of the smallest defect or any dirt.Isnt that the sad truth. Most people just don't see the difference!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ronkh57
07-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Where in FL are you?

TJinFL
07-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Lake Placid.

FrankS
07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
What color is your RAV4?

I have a White 2015 RAV4 that I mainly use for detailing. I like the newer style much better than the older style with the spare wheel on the back.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2783/800_IMG_3205.JPG (https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/119768/title/800-img-3205/cat/2783)

Though white doesn't show the defects as much as a darker color, I still find myself looking at it at different angles hunting for defects and swirls...a symptom of being an autogeek ;).

Polishing and coating an entire vehicle at one time can seem like a daunting task. I find it easier to break it up in sections just doing a panel or two at a time when I get some spare time. That way I can do some other things and not have to spend an entire day working on the car.

I'm amazed out how quickly it picked up chips in the paint. I've already done a couple of touch ups on the front end. Toyota paint must be getting thinner these days.

I still get satisfaction at seeing the car look its best.

ronkh57
07-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Lake Placid.

You're only about an hour from the holy grail......... YOu should go take a drive tomorrow to AG.

Klasse Act
07-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Without a doubt, N914 rinseless and waterless washes only[emoji118]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Route246
07-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Nice story. 75% of it parallels mine.

I spent a lot of money on products and buffers. I read many forum articles and watched many videos here and on Chemical Guys' YouTube channel. I read Mike Phillips' detailing book cover-to-cover a few times. I think I have a pretty good idea how to do things right and what to look for when I'm done with a task.

What I come away with is I have four vehicles that a pro would look at and probably say, "good job," at least for someone who is a non-pro hobbyist. That is more than sufficient satisfaction for me. I'm not entering car shows or trying to gain business.

I have different constraints.

First, I am not cost-constrained because I have no profit to create and I can afford this hobby without strain to my personal finances. But I am cost-constrained to the extent I will not buy products anymore without certain, physical proof that it is an improvement over what my current toolkit has. The best example of this are my Kirkland towels. I spent a lot of money on MF towels but I always revert back to the latest Kirkland towels because I'm comfortable with them and I have not seen any detrimental effects from using them. They are cheap and safe in my opinion.

Second, I don't have a reputation or brand to maintain since my only customer is myself, considering my wife doesn't care about a detailed car.

Third, I can try things and fail without fear of that failure affecting my business and putting food on the table. This is huge. If I were a pro I would be focused mainly on dialing in good processes and never changing until something very compelling came into view.

Lastly, since I live in California where the weather is extremely mild year-round I don't need to make seasonal adjustments. I can pretty much wash and wax my car almost every week of the year unless we are having torrential rains (rarely) or temps below freezing (rarely) or above 100F (rarely).

Be happy with what you have achieved.

One funny thing is when I'm with friends in parking lots they notice I'm always looking at hoods and trunks of vehicles under the sun and ask me what I'm doing. When I explain I'm looking for swirls they shake their heads like I'm some sort of lunatic which is probably closer to the truth than not.

Aaryn NZ
07-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Very cool story indeed! :props:

I believe many here will relate to alot of what you have written. Funny because if my Wife buys things . . . like say, her antique kitchen utensils, I call her a hoarder. So I guess because I detail for a living that makes me a professional hoarder, that makes it okay huh? :props:

An enjoyable story, thank you for sharing & good luck with the addiction. Also - a couple of chips here & there on a swirl free Rav-4, still makes it a swirl free Rav-4. :dblthumb2:

QUOTE=ronkh57;1511469]You're only about an hour from the holy grail......... YOu should go take a drive tomorrow to AG.[/QUOTE]

Awh what! Jealous! I'm at least a 19 hour flight just to get to Florida! :cry:

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

TJinFL
07-24-2017, 09:40 AM
FrankS

Mine is silver sky metallic. I noticed chips also. And the paint doesn't seem very thick. But it is a nice car for my purposes.

TJinFL
07-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Route246

Thanks for your response. Actually I am a lot more like you than I let on in my little story. I probably care more about the appearance of my vehicles than I let on. And yes I find myself analyzing the finish on other vehicles especially those which appeal to my tastes. I will probably do my truck now. Should have done it first as my test vehicle. So now I can get out the polisher.

TJinFL
07-24-2017, 11:18 AM
I have a couple of last comments.

Aaryn NZ. Hello there. I was in NZ once back around 1980. Loved the place. Did the North and South Islands. Really liked the South Island. Especially Christchurch and Queenstown. Landed on a glacier on Mt Cook. Why would you want to leave NZ to go to Stuart, FL?

As to visiting the "holy grail", well I just have no desire whatsoever to go there.

On McKee's 37 Paint Coating. In 2 coats I used about 40% or more of the contents. This stuff has a smell to it as one sprays it that seems pretty scary to me. Something between the fumes of say spray paint and epoxy paints. I am not sure but the smell does seem familiar. It is hard not to inhale the fumes without using some sort of mask. Now I figured it probably not do me that much harm this one detail job. But if I did these coatings on a regular basis without some serious protection I would be worried! Whether from the fumes or not I did end up with a pretty good headache afterwards and I don't normally get headaches. I am reminded of kids inhaling spray paint fumes to get high.

As I said before unless this stuff has some serious longevity and endurance I will probably go back to using Klasse AOI or HD Speed & Collinite 476s.

Also with the McKee's 37 Paint Coating Prep there is some serious staining of black trim. Hence the use of the painter's tape. This is why I originally got the HD Speed - no black trim staining! Now to be fair these stains seem come off pretty good using Meguiar's APC. McKee's 37 Stain Remover for Plastic definitely makes quick work of the stains. Although I worry about getting it on the Paint Coating.

Don't buy The Rag Company Everest 1100 mf towels. I just don't like them. They are 2 towels sown together to get the 1100 gsm. They are too thick and don't really absorb water that good for drying. Needless to say they wouldn't work well for polishing. Only good use I can find for them is to do my washes with them, but actually even for that I like my Supreme Junior 530 mf towels better.

Paul A.
07-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Welcome into the garage, TJ, from Tampa. Glad to have you here and great intro post!