PDA

View Full Version : Compound stays wet

Didz
07-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Hello started to compound my hood with GG6 and UC/UP and the it seems like the compound is always wet (even after working it a long time
alot more than normal) and won't flash. It is in my garage but kinda humid and about 85 degrees. Because of this oI am getting a mist of compound all over the place. I can feel it coming off DA and it shows up everywhere. Should i call it quits.....and wait for better environmental conditions???

TMQ
07-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Your environmental condition is fine.

From what you're saying---You are using way too much compound! Use only 3 - 5 dime size compound on pads.

And start and stop your polisher with pads on the car.

Tom

Didz
07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks TMQ. I have only been putting 3 pea size dots on pad. ( I use 4 dots when priming pad) I always have pad against paint when turning DA off/on. I get a light dust or flake from pad, or small wet specs whenever I use it. I make sure i start on a flat panel and even contact around pad. Also, when removing pad from paint I get a wet center. It dries but seems a bit heavier there and harder to remove. I tried to use air nozzle and brush to clean pad, but it doesn't seem overly dry to actually brush or blow out foam. I was wondering if edges are drying and center is staying wet??? I'm trying to push through this section of car so i can seal it. On a side note the paint looks awesome after UC/UP, but it takes 3-4 attempts at removing scratches and 4-6 crosshatch passes with each attempt. It just seems like I'm not aggressive enough?? Any help appreciated....

RMarkJr
07-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks TMQ. I have only been putting 3 pea size dots on pad. ( I use 4 dots when priming pad) I always have pad against paint when turning DA off/on. I get a light dust or flake from pad, or small wet specs whenever I use it. I make sure i start on a flat panel and even contact around pad. Also, when removing pad from paint I get a wet center. It dries but seems a bit heavier there and harder to remove. I tried to use air nozzle and brush to clean pad, but it doesn't seem overly dry to actually brush or blow out foam. I was wondering if edges are drying and center is staying wet??? I'm trying to push through this section of car so i can seal it. On a side note the paint looks awesome after UC/UP, but it takes 3-4 attempts at removing scratches and 4-6 crosshatch passes with each attempt. It just seems like I'm not aggressive enough?? Any help appreciated....

well really... I wouldnt worry about the staying wet. Some have longer working times than others. UC/UP have a lot of oils in them and will work longer than most. The main concern would be how it's coming out and from what you said it looks alright but jut taking awhile.

UC is not very aggressive. You could try M105 with a cutting pad like orange or yellow (depending on the brand you use for pads). If that doesnt seem fast enough then you could try M105 with a microfiber pad. When you use a compound you will need to go over it with a polish. UP might not be bad .. but it again has a lot of oils in it and doesnt have as much cut as M205. I would step it up to M105 and M205 with a more aggressive pad as it sounds like what you are doing now isnt working real fast at all.

also with the pad clogging up.. I notice the center is always way more clogged than the outside. I clean my pad pretty much after every section I do .. maybe every other one. I do use compressed air to do it. I have 150 PSI compressor and I hold it at an angle to get the pad spinning fast and then go to the center and back out a few times and this works really well.

and if it doesnt come out because its too wet you will be better off switching the pad out to another one.

Didz
07-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the input!!!! I agree with everything you said, but it seems like my centers are damp and edges dry, so i will just switch pads. I was gonna go with M105, and M205, but on the Autopia chart of polishes they a were about the

same as UC/UP on paper. I guess they really aren't. I do have 3 GG6 orange foam pads, and do clean them often with air and water and then air dry over my fan on a rack. I definitely want to get some orange Hexlogic cutting pads. I think the Griots orange foam pads are

ok, just a bit weak. I haven't being doing this long but can already see the time involved with repeating stuff if your products aren't aggressive enough. I know go less first, but after a few sections i realized i will be re[repeating a lot. I'll try a more

aggressive pad for now and use up more product until i decide to can the UC/PC and go with M105, M205. Thanks

Didz
07-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Well all done and it looks great. So i applied the Meg NXT 2.0 Tech Wax and then Meg Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste. Looks good, but have some area of patchy, foggy spots. I have read that NXT can do this. Now what? Can't add more NXT because of the carnauba on top. Will adding more carnaubu do anything? If not, how to proceed?

supercharged75
07-24-2017, 07:51 PM
I bet your pad is loading up.and getting hot. Pull the pad and feel the Velcro side of the pad. I was getting the same issue yesterday doing a 2011 Avalanche with HD Speed. Swapped pad and all better. I don't think I was blown there pad out frequently enough.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dlc95
07-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Thank you everyone for the input!!!! I agree with everything you said, but it seems like my centers are damp and edges dry, so i will just switch pads. I was gonna go with M105, and M205, but on the Autopia chart of polishes they a were about the

same as UC/UP on paper. I guess they really aren't. I do have 3 GG6 orange foam pads, and do clean them often with air and water and then air dry over my fan on a rack. I definitely want to get some orange Hexlogic cutting pads. I think the Griots orange foam pads are

ok, just a bit weak. I haven't being doing this long but can already see the time involved with repeating stuff if your products aren't aggressive enough. I know go less first, but after a few sections i realized i will be re[repeating a lot. I'll try a more

aggressive pad for now and use up more product until i decide to can the UC/PC and go with M105, M205. Thanks

The orange griot's foam, and the orange hex logic are the exact same foam formula from buff and shine - who is a pad manufacturer.

Try reducing the amount of product. Either smaller drops, or less of them. Sometimes Ultimate compound can cut so fast that it will load up the pad before it has a chance to "flash". Mine gets loaded up after about three passes, then I have to brush it out again.

Maybe consider M100 if you absolutely must switch from Ultimate Compound. It stays wetter than M105, and in my experience cuts harder.

I prefer the green polishing pad from Buff and Shine or their standard orange/black Microfiber for cutting. I actually like them way more than their Uro Fiber. They just seem to cut way more than the Uro Fiber.

Didz
07-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Going to switch to M105 I guess. Supercharged75, Ido remember it being very warm to touch. Its a Griots orange foam pad. dlc95 some have said that the Griots orange pad isn't that aggressive. Im gonna try using M105 and a different pad. It was just weird the center f the pad was white and usually damp? I got through it though and was just wanting to blow it out as i went and that was not an option. Thanks everyone for input and ideas, I'm learning a lot, and love how its looking so far!

Didz
07-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Thanks