PDA

View Full Version : Intro, Background, Waterspots

echardcore
07-22-2017, 11:51 PM
TLDR - Water spots appeared after wash, clay, compound, sealant, and wax. Why?

Hey folks. I love detailing.

I purchased a 2003 S-10 with low mileage in black. It seemed really clean when I bought it but I planned on a full detail anyway. The paint looked super oxidized after some rain and washes. I have never buffed a car b4 but I now own a Griots Garage random orbital buffer. I washed with a soap of stripping strength, clayed, and then began to learn how to use the RO. I applied Meguiar's Ultimate Compound lightly to the pad and spread it gently on the paint on setting 1. Then I buffed and removed at setting 4-5 in a snake pattern up and down and back and forth twice each panel. THe difference was night and day. Convinced I had done my job I went ahead and applied my favorite Wolfgang's Paint Sealant. After curing for 12 hours in the garage, I applied another coat and let it cure. Then I put a top coat of Collinite paste fleetwax. I was impressed with my work.

I took the car out the next day and was splashed by an 18-wheeler driving in the shoulder with dirty water. I didnt care that much because this work isn't done for the short term affects.

The hood and roof mainly were completely covered in water spots. I really havent experienced this before. Shouldn't the treatments applied have protected it from that?

I am now in the process of rebuffing. Again, it looks stellar.

What could have happened here?

TTQ B4U
07-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Not sure. I would however skip the collinite and see how it performs. If you're going to top it with Collinite, wait a month or so then do it.

echardcore
07-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the reply. I agree. I think the Collinite may have reacted with the Wolfgang's.
BTW I should have mentioned that the pic I posted was a before and after of the original condition of the, not the waterspots.