PDA

View Full Version : New to buffer detailing...not new to elbow grease

spilt milk
07-22-2017, 10:09 PM
Good Evening,

Just finished the cut and finish process Friday on my 2014 Mustang GT. Color is Oxford White. Charcoal Gray stripes accented with a 1/8th inch black pinstripe on the outer edge of either side. Colored matched Vossen 20 inch wheels.

Purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP with Meguiars 105/205 and Meguiars machine washable cut and finish pads. Been very happy with the results less all of the dust Meguiars makes.

I began by getting the feel of the 7424XP by working the hood of my 99 F150 that has been washed three times since I bought it in 2011. SO obviously I had to clay bar the hood after washing it to even begin. Hood looked great afterward so decided to start putting the effort into the 2014 GT. I expected using a buffer to take time and effort out of the job. I guess to some degree it does because if I had to have done all of the Mustang by hand I'd still be trying to finish the first step at this point. As it stands 26 hours worth of labor time later and I am almost finished with the glaze process. Once that is done I will post up some pictures.

I think I will be looking into the Blackfire products possibly next. Not sure yet. I really want something that doesn't generate as much, or better yet any dust (if there is such a product line). The car looked like it was covered in dandruff after doing a panel or two per day after completing 105 cut and 205 finish.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last I hope to find a better source of tape for masking off. Several times the tape worked loose which caused me some damage on the stripes. No big deal, I am going to remove them later this fall anyway and go to a lighter color of gray and then rematch the wheels to those. The Charcoal looks black at certain angles in direct light. I don't like the contrast. Any tips on tape brand that holds better without leaving adhesive or lifting vinyl would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on detailing vinyl stripes would also be appreciated. I currently only use detailer spray on them after a wash.

Buster906
07-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Good Evening,

Just finished the cut and finish process Friday on my 2014 Mustang GT. Color is Oxford White. Charcoal Gray stripes accented with a 1/8th inch black pinstripe on the outer edge of either side. Colored matched Vossen 20 inch wheels.

Purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP with Meguiars 105/205 and Meguiars machine washable cut and finish pads. Been very happy with the results less all of the dust Meguiars makes.

I began by getting the feel of the 7424XP by working the hood of my 99 F150 that has been washed three times since I bought it in 2011. SO obviously I had to clay bar the hood after washing it to even begin. Hood looked great afterward so decided to start putting the effort into the 2014 GT. I expected using a buffer to take time and effort out of the job. I guess to some degree it does because if I had to have done all of the Mustang by hand I'd still be trying to finish the first step at this point. As it stands 26 hours worth of labor time later and I am almost finished with the glaze process. Once that is done I will post up some pictures.

I think I will be looking into the Blackfire products possibly next. Not sure yet. I really want something that doesn't generate as much, or better yet any dust (if there is such a product line). The car looked like it was covered in dandruff after doing a panel or two per day after completing 105 cut and 205 finish.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last I hope to find a better source of tape for masking off. Several times the tape worked loose which caused me some damage on the stripes. No big deal, I am going to remove them later this fall anyway and go to a lighter color of gray and then rematch the wheels to those. The Charcoal looks black at certain angles in direct light. I don't like the contrast. Any tips on tape brand that holds better without leaving adhesive or lifting vinyl would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on detailing vinyl stripes would also be appreciated. I currently only use detailer spray on them after a wash.You should check out Jescar or the original brand Menzerna

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SNP209
07-23-2017, 06:21 AM
You should check out Jescar or the original brand Menzerna

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As mentioned above Menzerna/Jescar is a great line up. Other options would be Sonax, 3D, Griot's Garage BOSS system, etc. The Blackfire lineup you're looking into is great as well. If you want to stay in the Meguiar's family try replacing M105 with M101 or M100. There are so many choices out there that utilize high quality abrasive technology it really is hard to pick one. Personally, I would go with the Griot's Garage BOSS lineup.

Not sure which brand of tape you are using, but 3M has some decent options:

3M Masking Tape, Scotch Masking Tapes, 3M green masking tape, auto masking tape (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-masking-tapes.html)

3M Vinyl Tape - 06405 (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-vinyl-tape-06405.html)

As for your vinyl stripes, McKees 37 makes a product specifically for that which is here:

McKee’s 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant removes dirt and grime from matte finishes without adding gloss. This advanced formula also protects the (http://www.autogeek.net/matte-finish-cleaner-protectant.html)

Oh and by the way, welcome to Autogeek!

dlc95
07-23-2017, 08:20 AM
I would replace the M105 with Meguiar's D300 D/A Microfiber Correction Compound, and pick up some of their Microfiber DMC5 cutting discs, and their backing plate. That should expedite the cutting process, and give better results overall. Much, much less dust than M105/M100. Keep in mind that it was designed specifically for that application with easy wipe off, and low to no dusting. My only criticism is that it cuts so fast that the pads load up with residue very quickly. I have to brush it out after each section, and wipe it off with a Microfiber towel after about every three of four sections. If compressed air is available I'll do that instead of the towel wipe.

Follow that with M205 on a polishing pad, and you should be just fine.

spilt milk
07-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate it. I don't feel experienced enough yet to attempt changing up to more aggressive cutting at this point, but I am glad to know that there are faster methods out there once I get a better feel for detailing. You can't put it back on if you take to much off the first go-round.

As for tape, I am using 3M blue painters tape. I will try the green which I did see at a paint and body store the other day.

My stripes are not matte finish so I don;t see the MeKees being of use to me. I will see if they have products for the gloss finish vinyl as well. I;ve decided this fall to cahnge form the GT500 race stripes to the Venom single stripe layout in a gray metallic vice the current Charcoal Metallic. So I may do a it trial testing of different ideas and so forth later this season when it gets closer to when I decide to make the swap.