PDA

View Full Version : Haze and Marring after FG400

ZL1Mike
07-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I broke out the Griots today and decided to detail my Camaro. I started out with an orange Buff and Shine pad, but it wasn't doing much. I then used a Meguiar's mf pad and it corrected the big scratches. After holding a light above the paint, I could see micro-marring and a haze in the paint. Based on what I've read, others have had luck with SF3500. What should I do?

RMarkJr
07-22-2017, 01:38 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I broke out the Griots today and decided to detail my Camaro. I started out with an orange Buff and Shine pad, but it wasn't doing much. I then used a Meguiar's mf pad and it corrected the big scratches. After holding a light above the paint, I could see micro-marring and a haze in the paint. Based on what I've read, others have had luck with SF3500. What should I do?

more than likely you are going to have some marring because of the microfiber pad. After you get everything you want out using that .. then go over everything with a foam pad and with a polish

FrankS
07-22-2017, 03:39 AM
If you have SF3500, give it a try with a polishing pad.

ZL1Mike
07-22-2017, 08:41 AM
I went ahead and ordered some last night. Hopefully SF3500 can correct this

TMQ
07-22-2017, 08:49 AM
FG400 is a heavy cut compound. So yes---you will have some marring, even more so with a microfiber pad.

When anyone does a compound---always follow up with a polish. So what you have is about right...just that you're not done yet!

Tom

RSW
07-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Try running the 400 on the orange pad till it shines through. Then wipe off the haze and go over the spot again with just the worn out 400 that's on your pad, there should be enough left to leave a lighter haze.

RSW

ZL1Mike
07-22-2017, 09:05 AM
FG400 is a heavy cut compound. So yes---you will have some marring, even more so with a microfiber pad.

When anyone does a compound---always follow up with a polish. So what you have is about right...just that you're not done yet!

Tom

I was hoping to take the easy way out!

ZL1Mike
07-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Try running the 400 on the orange pad till it shines through. Then wipe off the haze and go over the spot again with just the worn out 400 that's on your pad, there should be enough left to leave a lighter haze.

RSW

I'll try that and see how works out

TTQ B4U
07-22-2017, 09:10 AM
As others have noted, it's normal. MF pads do well as does 400 but you will have to hit it with some polish afterwards.

expdetailing
07-22-2017, 09:23 AM
On parts not compounded yet, I would give FG400 another go. It sounds as if your clear coat isn't as scratch sensitive as other clear coats if you couldn't get decent correction from a compounding foam pad, so I am thinking that maybe you are not letting the diminishing abrasives break down enough in the FG400 to not cause micro-marring. FG400 will finish LSP ready on some harder clear coats. Try working the FG400 longer if you are not doing at least 4-6 section passes and moving as slow as 1 inch per second. Shoot for working the compound until there is a very light haze of compound residue.

Kamakaz1961
07-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Tom

+1 on this. When you compound which is FG400, you will need to follow up with a Polish such as SF3500. You will need a White Pad (Lake Country Brand is all I know for colors) Polishing Pad. You micro marring will go away.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
07-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Using a microfiber cutting pad with this product will introduce a ton of micromarring.

It is a dininishing abrasive. So it actually turns into a fine polish at the end of the buffing cycle.

Use a polishing pad with the product and polish at speed 4 do 3 passes.

After the 3 passes lower the machine to speed 3 with little to no pressure just the weight of the machine.

This will help you finish it out.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)