PDA

View Full Version : What's the siding? Fiberglass? How to fix?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Old Girl
07-20-2017, 09:36 PM
1986 Shasta. Owned it since 1999. Always working on it and it looked great. My aunt has Alzheimer's and I've totally neglected it. Sold it a few years ago to a 79 year old guy. Early spring I washed and waxed the cab and tried to restore the oxidized junk it's become. I don't know if the siding is fiberglass ( I think so) or gel coat. Didn't know much about this or car care until a few years ago when I found this great site! :applause:I've looked at the forum for rv's etc., and online to find pics of fiberglass or gel coat rv's with not much luck.

To get to this stage I used marine 31 heavy oxidation remover, gel coat heavy cut cleaner, high gloss polish and pure wax. I used the griots 3" with an orange pad, thinking I could get "better" coverage or more even. I've got the flex which now, in hindsight, should have been the better choice.

Even though I no longer own it, it sits off the driveway and I can't help but want to bring it back. Any thoughts? I could even start over. You can see the chalkiness closer to the Shast logo far left. Thank you. Teri

Old Girl
07-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Ok. I see the pic didn't show up. I'll try again.
Still not working. Just have an iPad, no computer.

Point is that it's dull, chalky and unappealing.

Old Girl
07-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Maybe?

This pic goes with below post.

:)

Mike Phillips
07-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Hi Old Girl,

I merged your other post into this thread so everything is in one place.

Here's your picture

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/rv-motorhome-detailing/58980d1500599103-what-s-siding-fiberglass-how-fix-img0466.jpg

I don't know for sure what the coating is but my guess is an electrically deposited paint. This means it's going to be VERY THIN.

Get some 3D HD Speed, this is a one-step cleaner/wax and buzz over it with a foam cutting pad on an orbital polisher. Stick a fork in it and call it done.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3457/Prod_Detail_000.JPG

Get you some here

3D HD Speed - 32 ounce bottle (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-hd-speed-32.html)

See the pictures in this thread...

Making money doing production detailing by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-comments-competition-ready-3-day-detailing-classes-mike-phillips/110604-making-money-doing-production-detailing-mike-phillips.html)

Old Girl
07-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Mike, once again for coming to my aid! I've read yours and others posts about posting pics in a message, but my laptop is toast and so I just have an ipad��.

I also appreciate your recommendations on this rv. I have a lot of stuff going on so I will give it one more shot and "stick a fork in it"... lol. Teri

Old Girl
07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Ok, boss or b&s pads? Colors? Thank you!

BillE
07-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Looking and lookin' more and considering the age...I leaning that the siding is aluminum.

As Mike as stated, the 'paint' is gonna be super thin.

Do have any 'cleaner/wax' on hand? Take LITTLE on your finger tip and massage into the finish and see what the results are. Oh, and do this in an inconspicuous spot.

Keep us posted please.

Bill

Old Girl
07-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Thanks BillE! No cleaner/wax. I hadn't clayed it so I just went out and tried it but...nothing. I'm LMAO on your suggestion to do it in an inconspicuous spot! Heck, the whole thing is very conspicuous! Ha ha. I've had three orders in the past couple of weeks; one to arrive Tuesday so I'll have to wait a bit before I can order anything else.
Really appreciate you taking the time to look at it and then make recommendations! Thanks a lot! Teri

Old Girl
07-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Anyone on pads? B&S or Boss? The Uro-Tec's look good.

GSKR
07-25-2017, 08:21 PM
I don't know for sure what the coating is but my guess is an electrically deposited paint. This means it's going to be VERY THIN.

Agree I think you will burn through the lines or ridges.

Very thin anything aggressive will just accelerate deterioration.

Old Girl
07-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks GSKR. I'm going to go with the uro-etc pads, yellow and white. We'll see what happens.

Old Girl
07-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Ok I got my stuff ordered. Shouldn't have spent more money, but couldn't pass up a sale! :xyxthumbs:

103* yesterday and expected 102* today so I might wait until Wednesday when it'll only be 97* :surrender::surrender:

GSKR
07-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Don't expect much shine with foam pads. Your goal is just to make it better than what it is.

Old Girl
07-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks. It'll be hard to take if I can't get some shine back. It used to look pretty good even though it was old when I bought it. I'll try what I've ordered first, but do you think another type of pad would be better? It's hard to let go of it as I had many great trips in it. Shouldn't get so attached to something, I guess.

BillE
07-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Were you able to determine what the siding actually was! AL, fiberglass or whatever?

Be safe in THAT heat!

Bill