PDA

View Full Version : What to use to top Collinite 845?

Pages : [1] 2

Scalla1384
07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone, new here. I just recently did a full detail on my car. It's a 1993 Toyota Supra in renaissance red. I did a lot of searching on here, and helped me out a lot. It was my first time using the porter cable. The car came out great.

I used

CCS Yellow pad
CCS white pad
CCS red pad
Wolfgang total swirl remover
Pinaccle paintwork cleansing lotion
Collinite 845

I did this about 2 months ago. The car still looks great, but I can tell it's losing some of its shine.

I was going to try Pinnacle crystal mist detail spray to keep the shine on the car. Has anyone tried that? Or had better luck with something else?

Also, I'm a noob still. What could I do before the Collins 845? Could I do Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant then Collinite on top of that? Or vice versa?

Thanks!

Route246
07-20-2017, 12:09 PM
I use ONRW&W Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax, no rinse car wash, rinse free car wash, optimum no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash-and-wax.html) as a quick detailer for every wash over Collinite 476S. On the horizontal surfaces I use Optimum spray wax Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html) for further topping. I clay and machine-apply 476S twice a year, use 360 AIO once a year before 476S. This seems to work for me and I am locked into these products.

Paul A.
07-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Pinnacle Crystal Mist is my absolute favorite QD type product on any hybrid LSP's or sealants. However, my question is...were you happy with the look of just Coll 845 when you applied it? If so, it takes me maybe 10-15 mins. to reapply and another 10 mins to wipe off.

My point is that if you were happy with how it looked after your detail then reapply it. If you weren't happy with the shine of 845 by all means find one you do like. WGDGPS may be better for what you want.

It sounds like the 845 may have lost it's luster after a couple of months. I find it pretty durable but maybe reapply some to a test area and see if it brightens it up again.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist is, for me anyway, a QD type product and doesn't last beyond 2 weeks. I use it after my weekly washes every time and it looks incredible. But, it doesn't replace my LSP. When the LSP has lost it's luster it gets reapplied. Or...I move on to another LSP to try.

FUNX650
07-20-2017, 12:44 PM
I was going to try Pinnacle crystal
mist detail spray to keep the shine
on the car. Has anyone tried that?

Or had better luck with something else?

Sonus Acrylic Spritz Quick Detail Spray, quick detailer, instant detailer, acrylic detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-acrylic-detail-spray.html)

^^^GOOD STUFF!^^^

Bob

Scalla1384
07-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Pinnacle Crystal Mist is my absolute favorite QD type product on any hybrid LSP's or sealants. However, my question is...were you happy with the look of just Coll 845 when you applied it? If so, it takes me maybe 10-15 mins. to reapply and another 10 mins to wipe off.

My point is that if you were happy with how it looked after your detail then reapply it. If you weren't happy with the shine of 845 by all means find one you do like. WGDGPS may be better for what you want.

It sounds like the 845 may have lost it's luster after a couple of months. I find it pretty durable but maybe reapply some to a test area and see if it brightens it up again.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist is, for me anyway, a QD type product and doesn't last beyond 2 weeks. I use it after my weekly washes every time and it looks incredible. But, it doesn't replace my LSP. When the LSP has lost it's luster it gets reapplied. Or...I move on to another LSP to try.

I was actually very impressed with the Collinite 845. My car is outside most of its time, it's not kept in a garage unfortunately.

Do do you think I could put Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant on top of the Collinite with a CCS red pad?

Im not really sure of the order to put certain things on, or what doesn't look good when product x is on top of product x.

Nix
07-20-2017, 02:51 PM
I was actually very impressed with the Collinite 845. My car is outside most of its time, it's not kept in a garage unfortunately.

Do do you think I could put Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant on top of the Collinite with a CCS red pad?

Im not really sure of the order to put certain things on, or what doesn't look good when product x is on top of product x.

Wolfgang is a sealant and 845 is a wax..i would not top 845 with wolfgang. you can do other way around..top wolfgang with 845..but to be honest wolfgang is good on its own..i like wolfgang better than 845..just my opinion..

Scalla1384
07-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Wolfgang is a sealant and 845 is a wax..i would not top 845 with wolfgang. you can do other way around..top wolfgang with 845..but to be honest wolfgang is good on its own..i like wolfgang better than 845..just my opinion..

Thanks, I was having a hard time understanding that, lol.

What would be the best way to remove the Collinite? Without taking out the pinnacle cleansing polish? I did like Collinite a lot, so I may try to put the Wolfgang deep gloss sealant on it, see how I like it and maybe re-apply Collinite.

It's only been about 2 months, Collinite is supposed to last a decent amount of time, no? Maybe I'll wash it and hit it with pinnacle crystal mist QD spray. Before I commit to taking off the Collinite for the Wolfgang sealant

rlmccarty2000
07-20-2017, 04:10 PM
More Collinite 845!

Shortspark
07-20-2017, 04:17 PM
I am surprised Bob did not mention this in his post since it was he who first talked about a method of applying 845 that I now use as a "topper". If you like the looks of 845 but just want to boost the shine now and then why not use 845 as you would a QD or Spray Wax?

After applying 845 in the traditional manner, either by hand or machine, it always looks terrific and its durability is legendary. But after a while it does need a boost, so to speak. When I think it is time I wash and dry the car. Unlike using a QD, the car should be very clean. I make sure 845 is thin and liquid which is easy here in Texas by just letting it sit in the sun for a while. Shake it up real good and then I put it in a mister bottle. NOT a spray bottle because that will discharge too much product. A small mister with a finger pump is all you need; hit each panel with a couple squirts. You can spread it with a sponge or microfiber towel and then buff it off, just like you would with a spray wax. This will rejuvenate your original application and will look slick and glossy. Obviously, there is no problem with product compatibility. I can not think of a better "topper" for 845 than 845!

FUNX650
07-20-2017, 04:43 PM
I am surprised Bob did not mention this in his post since it was he who first talked about a method of applying 845 that I now use as a "topper". If you like the looks of 845 but just want to boost the shine now and then why not use 845 as you would a QD or Spray Wax?

I started to...
but the OP's intent seemed to be on
using "toppers" from other product
lines: Wolfgang, Pinnacle, etc.

TO WIT:

I did like Collinite a lot, so I may
try to put the Wolfgang deep gloss
sealant on it, see how I like it

It's only been about 2 months,
Collinite is supposed to last a
decent amount of time, no?

Maybe I'll wash it and hit it with
pinnacle crystal mist QD spray.

Bob

Scalla1384
07-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Last time I detailed the car, I spent about 7-8 hours on it. Between washing, clay, swirl remover, polish and wax. I'd hate to have to do all that again basically only 2 months later. The Collinite is still beading pretty good, just seems like it lost a little bit of its shine. So I'd like to see if a QD would help bring it back out.

I do have Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant already, came in as part of a package when I bought my porter cable. But again.... idk if I really want to strip the Collinite, most likely polish it again, then the Wolfgang then Collinite. If I do strip the wax, I'm most likely going to use cquartz.

Scalla1384
07-20-2017, 05:00 PM

After applying 845 in the traditional manner, either by hand or machine, it always looks terrific and its durability is legendary. But after a while it does need a boost, so to speak. When I think it is time I wash and dry the car. Unlike using a QD, the car should be very clean. I make sure 845 is thin and liquid which is easy here in Texas by just letting it sit in the sun for a while. Shake it up real good and then I put it in a mister bottle. NOT a spray bottle because that will discharge too much product. A small mister with a finger pump is all you need; hit each panel with a couple squirts. You can spread it with a sponge or microfiber towel and then buff it off, just like you would with a spray wax. This will rejuvenate your original application and will look slick and glossy. Obviously, there is no problem with product compatibility. I can not think of a better "topper" for 845 than 845!

This is actually a very good idea... I didn't even think of this.

Shortspark
07-20-2017, 05:02 PM
You went a lot further than I did, Bob. When he said, "I like Collinite (845) a lot", that was all I needed to know. Sometimes people get into unnecessary trouble when they try to top a product with another product line, as you well know as I have to believe you are a chemist, by vocation or interest. Although many different products are compatible and I use bunches of them together a lot, you can never go wrong using the same brand, or better yet, the same product only in a slightly different manner. But yes of course, I agree 100% - anything Sonus (or Sonax for that matter) is great!

Nix
07-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I was having a hard time understanding that, lol.

What would be the best way to remove the Collinite? Without taking out the pinnacle cleansing polish? I did like Collinite a lot, so I may try to put the Wolfgang deep gloss sealant on it, see how I like it and maybe re-apply Collinite.

It's only been about 2 months, Collinite is supposed to last a decent amount of time, no? Maybe I'll wash it and hit it with pinnacle crystal mist QD spray. Before I commit to taking off the Collinite for the Wolfgang sealant

Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-car-wash-plus.html) (Can also be found in any pepboys or advance auto) this might remove the 845 if you dont want to take out polisher and polish..but if you like 845 keep it for now...after wash hit it with QD and you will be fine..for me 845 left too many water spots after rain so i decided it was not for me..

custmsprty
07-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Sonus Acrylic Spritz Quick Detail Spray, quick detailer, instant detailer, acrylic detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-acrylic-detail-spray.html)

^^^GOOD STUFF!^^^

Bob

:iagree:

NOTE: What I used below is the Sonus Acrylic Glanz:

http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-acrylic-glanz-sealant.html

This stuff is awesome. I had a bottle I forgot about and used it on my Rogue last weekend after a wash, it's an all too often forgotten gem.