PDA

View Full Version : Buffing for the beginner

Richs66
07-19-2017, 06:55 PM
If you're going to use a one-step cleaner/wax you don't normally want to use a foam cutting pad as the sharpness of the foam can leave a shadow effect which is actually micro-marring. Micro-marring is a nice way to say scratching. You can use foam cutting pads and I know some detailers do but I'm typing this article for newbies and I want to keep you safe.

So for a one-step cleaner/wax, I'd recommend getting a minimum of 5-6 foam polishing pads. And of course when using a one-step cleaner/wax you're done after the first and only step so you don't need more pads.

Caught this from another post on Detailing for Beginners, The above was from Mike P.

I'm a beginner all the way, but just wanted to clarify some things here..........I used HD Speed & Proxy, but I put it on with an orange pad...........seemed to get out 95% of my swirls.

So if I'm reading this right, I could have gotten the same results with the white polishing pad. Just wondering if you guys are getting the swirls out with the white pad vs the orange pad.

Thanks

Rich

Richs66
07-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Sorry about that, I put the Speed on with a orange pad, the proxy when on with the white one.

Rich

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Good post Rich. But in short, it all depends.......

I have found cleaner waxes to be just a bit different than AIO's. Especially HD Speed.

I would tend to agree with Mike about cutting pads and cleaner wax, but again...... each case might be different.

I tried my first test spot with HD Speed on my Ram with an LC white pad. Results were ok, but not what I wanted.

Went to the orange LC, and bingo. Turns out the CC on my Ram is on the harder side.

As for applying the Poxy, I'd go with a red LC for that. The whites have cutting ability, and you don't want that for applying wax. :)

custmsprty
07-19-2017, 07:28 PM
I've used nothing but flat orange pads for every job I've used Speed for since testing it out a few years ago and have been happy with the results, but again I always do a test spot first any way.

cleanmycorolla
07-19-2017, 07:37 PM
I dunno man. I use orange pads and AIOs all the time. Its based on the paint. Not sure about your post.

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 07:42 PM
I dunno man. I use orange pads and AIOs all the time. Its based on the paint. Not sure about your post.

I believe Rich is asking if using the white LC would be less aggressive than the orange, and if that's what he should be doing.

I don't blame him. All of this is confusing at first.

idriveblackcars
07-19-2017, 07:45 PM
With all the love HD gets around here I'm surprised no one has used their purple pad.

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 08:03 PM
With all the love HD gets around here I'm surprised no one has used their purple pad.

That's for buffing?? :laughing:

idriveblackcars
07-19-2017, 08:52 PM
That's for buffing?? :laughing:

I must have missed the joke it was so good.

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 08:55 PM
I must have missed the joke it was so good.

You didn't miss anything. I'm just an idiot. ;)

dcjredline
07-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Cleaner wax I wouldn't go any "stronger" than a white pad. AIO such as Speed, D151, McKees 360 I wouldn't go much "lighter" than a white pad. Cleaner wax is DIFFERENT than an AIO. Cleaner wax most times uses chemical cleaners to remove embedded dirt etc, AIO typically uses some form of abrasives "polish". With no abrasives in the product I see no sense in using a pad with "cut" personally.

AZpolisher15
07-19-2017, 11:23 PM
For the most, you'll not have to ever worry about micro-marring or hazing when using a white pad with an AIO. Being a polishing pad, you'll get a small amount of "correction". Could you get more correction with an orange pad? Maybe. Probably. But you also introduce a *chance* of hazing. Then you'll end up needing a "second" step, which is what you've intentionally been trying to avoid by choosing to use an AIO in the first place. Is that the end of the world? No. But you can use your time more effectively with different products if your intent is a two step. And your overall results will be better (both in correction and lsp longevity). Note: on a majority of paints, the orange will probably work just fine. But now you know what the risk is and what *might* happen.

To answer your question directly-- no, you probably wouldn't get the "same" results had you used white. You likely got better results with orange (slightly more correction). Or maybe you got the same correction but just a little more quickly. And fortunately, you didn't end up with hazing that required a second step. Had your paint been softer, you might have had problems.