PDA

View Full Version : Detailing for Beginners

Pages : [1] 2

Rtrick87
07-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a thread to help newer weekend warriors, aspiring business owners and hobbyists to the AGO community get on the right track if they are new to detailing. Let's list products, tools and chemicals and so on that are USER FRIENDLY and can be used by beginners with no experience. :xyxthumbs:

I'll start with saying when it comes to removing swirls, I found the Porter Cable 7424 was very user friendly and as a beginner to polishing I was unsure what products to use. I did user m205 and m105 and found them to be easy to use.

What can you list for all the steps needed in detailing both interior and exterior that are user friendly and can achieve great results?

RippyD
07-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Good idea. As a beginner I would disagree with 105 - it can be too problematic for new users.

My recommendation for anybody just starting out with paint correction is go with Griot's pads and polishes. They have fewer products, good explanations for when to use them, and very clear charts show what pad to use with what polish. Compared to trying to figure our Megs polishes or Lake Country pads, Griot's is a lot more clear. And the products are excellent and can continue to be used as their skills improve. As a newbie, I wish I'd started with one brand for paint correction, and I think Griot's is probably the best place to start.

And anybody starting out would benefit from reading Mike Phillips' detailing book.

ctdave
07-19-2017, 08:40 AM
I always used Megs but just bought 2 buffers and settled on Griots 6" and their products I used their complete compound and one step sealer and best of show wax on top. Beautiful. I am about to try their poly wax on another white BMW. We will see how that turns out.

Desertnate
07-19-2017, 08:47 AM
I started out with Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound, and many years later still keep them on hand for vehicles with soft paint. They are easy to use, effective, cheap, and nearly universally available at almost every big-box store.

A good DA, Lake Country Flat Pads, Meguiars UP/UC, and a reputable budget sealant from one of the vendors here and you'll be golden.

One warning: Once you do it, it will be addictive!

RippyD
07-19-2017, 09:36 AM
I started out with Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound, and many years later still keep them on hand for vehicles with soft paint. They are easy to use, effective, cheap, and nearly universally available at almost every big-box store.

A good DA, Lake Country Flat Pads, Meguiars UP/UC, and a reputable budget sealant from one of the vendors here and you'll be golden.

One warning: Once you do it, it will be addictive!
For a newbie the LC pad options are overwhelming. Trust me on this. If you go to the LC site, which many people are likely to do, it's even more confusing. Just in the flat pads, when do I use green vs. white? Red vs. blue? Yellow vs. purple. Look beyond the flat pads and it's even more confusing. As somebody who recently went through this I can tell you it's overwhelming. And nothing wrong with Megs UC and UP. I really think or somebody just starting out using Griot's pads and compound/polish would be easier.

Part of the problem is there's too much info and too much opinion available. And most of it is good info. But for somebody new there's no point in to chasing the next thing that's going to help. Starting as simply as possible where the vendor tells you what the products do and when to use them is a big confidence booster and will help people get going and learn more quickly (imo).

Paul A.
07-19-2017, 09:49 AM
AG has spent some time putting together a bunch of "starter kits" for exactly this purpose. I am not suggesting that has made it too much easier in selecting the perfect kit for you but they are all of the highest quality. Plus the fact everybody is different.

Anybody new to this game is, in my opinion, best served by simply getting Mike P's book Guide To A Showroom Shine and self educating as comprehensively as they can. Then get a kit from AG and dive in!

TTQ B4U
07-19-2017, 10:10 AM
What can you list for all the steps needed in detailing both interior and exterior that are user friendly and can achieve great results?

Wash
Decontaminate with Iron X
Clay/clean paint with nano sponge
Compound where/when necessary, either M101 for Heavy needs, M105/Ultimate Compound for Medium
Polish M205 is awesome
Sealant would be Collinite 476
AIO I'd go HDSpeed

Pad wise, Orange, Green and White so basically a medium cut, good AIO pad and a polishing pad. Colors may vary depending on system used.

TMQ
07-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Attend competition ready class.

That'll pull it all together for you!

Tom

Mike Phillips
07-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Attend competition ready class.

That'll pull it all together for you!

Tom

Thanks Tom!

It was great to have you in the class! It's even better reading about your projects and also reading your posts the forum.

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
07-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a thread to help newer weekend warriors, aspiring business owners and hobbyists to the AGO community get on the right track if they are new to detailing.

Let's list products, tools and chemicals and so on that are USER FRIENDLY and can be used by beginners with no experience. :xyxthumbs:

I'll start with saying when it comes to removing swirls, I found the Porter Cable 7424 was very user friendly

I used to use and promote the Porter Cable 7424XP the most when it comes to entry level polishers. Now days I'd rather see a person get the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher. It's the same type of tool but with a lot more power, better design and better warranty.

Here's a recent article I wrote showcasing the Griot's polisher.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (http://tinyurl.com/y736nudd)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Griots_Polisher.jpg
(remove the handle and throw it away)

Also, here's a very good video series to give people a great foundation to build on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJr45c1aayU&list=PLf9SO3pQlzJ-WLpwg7U4mUqaB4UuPQ91m

Great topic, thanks for starting this thread.

:)

RippyD
07-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Compound where/when necessary, either M101 for Heavy needs, M105/Ultimate Compound for Medium

I'm on a personal mission to get people to stop recommending M105 for newbies. M105 is probably the last product I would recommend. M101 also seems like too much cut for a newbie, too expensive, and only comes in large bottles. I don't think it's great as a compound to start out with.

Please consider what it's like to not know anything about how polishes or a DA works. What will work well, but is also safe in terms of not letting somebody damage their paint? What has long working time and comes off easily so they're not wondering how they got a thin layer of plaster stuck to their car and have no idea how to get it off?

Pad wise, Orange, Green and White so basically a medium cut, good AIO pad and a polishing pad. Colors may vary depending on system used.
This is a good example of why pad recommendations can be confusing to newbies. If I'd read this 9 months ago I'd be asking: White isn't always the same? What? Is the the same for all Lake Country pads? The same for some brands but not others? Is orange always more aggressive than white? How do I know? Are the pads labeled so I'll know which is which? Which one is the AIO pad? What happens if I accidentally use the compound or AIO on the wrong pad?

Your recommendation makes sense and seems clear to us. Not so much to the uninitiated. We all take our experience and understanding for granted. AG starter kit is a great idea. I recommend a kit with the Griot's 6" to start. In no way saying the PC isn't adequate and capable. Griot's is as good or better (I believe) and has a better warranty. Both seem like more than capable machines.

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Agree on the M105/101. I also would steer a newbie away from UP. It's a real bit*h to remove, and other guys have agreed with me there.

What I disagree with is the statement about LC flats. IMO, the line-up here in the AG store is clear as can be. Orange down to black/red with a great description of each.

And for newbies, I know MP now recommends the GG6, but I have had nothing but success with my PC. That said, I have never had much correction to do. Bought my truck brand new, and I'm the only one who has ever touched it.

So, if you need heavy cut, then yes, I can see the GG over the PC.

All that said, and looking back to when I was completely clueless and reading every article until my eyes were crossed at the end of the night, I can say without a doubt that if I had tried HD Speed at first, I would have been MUCH happier.

RippyD
07-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Good points, Paul. AG flat pad descriptions (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html) are pretty good. But... blue vs. black is not clear at all somebody new to this. Bigger issue for me is the smaller flat pads don't perform as well. They sling product like crazy when you take pressure off them, can be harder to control, and just don't seem to work as well for me as the 5.5" ones. Not sure why. Another complication, at least for me. Griot's pads seem to work more consistently across sizes.

My point isn't that other products aren't as good or better than Griot's. It's that they have a system that very clearly spells out what to use and how things work together. As an alternative to what I'm saying (over and over) HD Speed with some flat pads would also be a great place to start. Just starting out, I would have found the Griot's chart (https://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf/padproductref.pdf) reassuring. To be honest, a year in I still do. Would have been more helpful when I was starting.

PaulMys
07-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Good points, Paul. AG flat pad descriptions (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html) are pretty good. But... blue vs. black is not clear at all somebody new to this. Bigger issue for me is the smaller flat pads don't perform as well. They sling product like crazy when you take pressure off them, can be harder to control, and just don't seem to work as well for me as the 5.5" ones. Not sure why. Another complication, at least for me. Griot's pads seem to work more consistently across sizes.

My point isn't that other products aren't as good or better than Griot's. It's that they have a system that very clearly spells out what to use and how things work together. As an alternative to what I'm saying (over and over) HD Speed with some flat pads would also be a great place to start. Just starting out, I would have found the Griot's chart (https://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf/padproductref.pdf) reassuring. To be honest, a year in I still do. Would have been more helpful when I was starting.

Agreed.

Rtrick87
07-28-2017, 03:03 AM
What would be a better replacement for the 105 thats easier to work with for beginners?