PDA

View Full Version : Solution Finish and Wheel Wells

Pages : [1] 2

osiapstndp
07-17-2017, 11:15 PM
For fun tonight I cleaned the wheel wells on my Challenger. Power Clean at 1:3, distilled water, a few brushes and throwaway towels were used. The neat part is what a great job Solution Finish did to darken the plastic wheel well liner and splash guards. I used Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant first, and it definitely made a difference, but Solution Finish left a more noticeable change in color. I'll top the plastic with the Wolfgang product in a couple days to hopefully better protect the nice result.

Below is a 50/50 shot. The right side is clean and the left side is clean and treated.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/fcbbec804705bbbf5da06cde462fecc0.jpg

Eldorado2k
07-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Nice. How do you plan on maintaining them from here on out? I'm looking to do the same to the Kia soon, except I'll be coating it with the TW Endura Trim Coating. I'm still trying to decide on a maintenance cleaner strong enough to use but gentle enough not to strip away the coating.

osiapstndp
07-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Nice. How do you plan on maintaining them from here on out? I'm looking to do the same to the Kia soon, except I'll be coating it with the TW Endura Trim Coating. I'm still trying to decide on a maintenance cleaner strong enough to use but gentle enough not to strip away the coating.
Typically I just use car shampoo, wheel woolies and a wash mitt to dislodge whatever gunk and debris is on the wheel wells. I love using D143 and, more recently, I've thoroughly enjoyed using Power Clean on just about everything. I'd say I've used Power Clean on 90% of the wheels I've worked on since around March or so. It's great for pre-soaking the lower portion of vehicles and for nasty stains on interior vinyl.

Back on topic, I'll go with normal car shampoo and some tools to reach in all of the right spots for now. Odds are a stronger degreaser may be needed eventually. I think it took me almost as much time to jack up the car than it did to clean and treat the wheel wells, so having to redo the procedure isn't the end of the world. :)

I'd like to hear other folks' suggestions on enhancing the appearance and maintaining the finish of wheel wells. I've used Opti-Bond at 1:1 to good effect on engine bay plastic and rubber pieces and hear good things about it for wheel wells.

VISITOR
07-17-2017, 11:45 PM
as soon as you clean them with a brush and cleaner, it will scrub whatever is off. a water based dressing diluted 3:1 works well enough, i'll you do is spray and walk away and it will dry on it's own...

osiapstndp
07-17-2017, 11:47 PM
as soon as you clean them with a brush and cleaner, it will scrub whatever is off. a water based dressing diluted 3:1 works well enough, i'll you do is spray and walk away and it will dry on it's own...
I used to use Hyper Dressing at 1:4 for wheel wells and always enjoyed how quick the application process is.

Eldorado2k
07-17-2017, 11:55 PM
I use Hyper Dressing @1:1 and it works about as perfect as I could ask for... My only issue has been the chalky streaks that are left behind when I use Super Degreaser to clean them prior to reapplying... It's really no big deal since I'll be reapplying dressing, but it still bugs me so I use D101 @10:1 now [spray and rinse]

Personally, using Hyper Dressing at anything less than 1:1 leaves much to be desired. IMO it doesn't cling/work into the surface effortlessly and takes longer to reach its finished look.

VISITOR
07-17-2017, 11:58 PM
I use Hyper Dressing @1:1 and it works about as perfect as I could ask for... My only issue has been the chalky streaks that are left behind when I use Super Degreaser to clean them prior to reapplying... It's really no big deal since I'll be reapplying dressing, but it still bugs me so I use D101 @10:1 now [spray and rinse]

Personally, using Hyper Dressing at anything less than 1:1 leaves much to be desired. IMO it doesn't cling/work into the surface effortlessly and takes longer to reach its finished look.

i bought this before it was discontinued for super cheap (under $15) and use it 1:1 (or you can use it RTU per directions) for the wheel wells and it works great. it's basically throw away product that i don't have to worry about wasting...
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_164879409

Eldorado2k
07-18-2017, 12:02 AM
i bought this before it was discontinued for super cheap (under $15) and use it 1:1 (or you can use it RTU per directions) for the wheel wells and it works great. it's basically throw away product that i don't have to worry about wasting...
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_164879409

I've tried that before [at Meguiars in Irvine] I also found out that the local hand car wash near me [which I haven't gone to for almost 10yrs. now] used to use that as their tire shine.

Even @1:1 I don't go through Hyper Dressing all that fast, so the cost is never a concern.

osiapstndp
07-18-2017, 12:16 AM

I've been through quite a bit if Hyper Dressing at 1:4. When I tried it at 1:1 it seemed too glossy, or that it left too tall of a "film" on the surface. I'll give it another shot at 1:1 again in the future.

Eldorado2k
07-18-2017, 12:21 AM
I've been through quite a bit if Hyper Dressing at 1:4. When I tried it at 1:1 it seemed too glossy, or that it left too tall of a "film" on the surface. I'll give it another shot at 1:1 again in the future.

I mixed up a bottle @4:1 to use under the hood and found myself having to wipe forever just to get it to penetrate and darken to a lackluster level. Sprayed it into wheel wells and it was too runny...

osiapstndp
07-18-2017, 12:32 AM
I mixed up a bottle @4:1 to use under the hood and found myself having to wipe forever just to get it to penetrate and darken to a lackluster level. Sprayed it into wheel wells and it was too runny...
If I have time this week I'll do a visual comparison on my Challenger's rear passenger side wheel well. I didn't get to it tonight. I'll use Hyper Dressing at 1:1 and 1:4.

VISITOR
07-18-2017, 12:37 AM
IME hyper dressing used at 1:1 attracts too much dust. since using PERL i haven't looked back. like anything else, everyone has their own preference you just got to figure out what you like and keep using it...

PaulMys
07-18-2017, 07:30 PM
IME hyper dressing used at 1:1 attracts too much dust. since using PERL i haven't looked back. like anything else, everyone has their own preference you just got to figure out what you like and keep using it...

I've fallen in love with Perl. On my Ram, the black plastic wheel wells are very prominent. A 3:1 mix applied after washing makes them look great.

FUNX650
07-18-2017, 09:17 PM
I'd like to hear other folks' suggestions on
enhancing the appearance and maintaining
the finish of wheel wells.

Solution Finish left a more
noticeable change in color.
I'll top the plastic with the
Wolfgang product in a couple
days to hopefully better protect
the nice result.

Topping Solution Finish (SF) with
WETS is one way to enhance, extend,
and protect SF; topping SF with Ultima
Tire & Trim Guard (UTTG) is another.

Bob

Dr Oldz
07-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Sonus Trim and Motor Kote is the answer to under hood and plastic wheel well applications! Looks awesome and dries to the touch.