PDA

View Full Version : water spots on windows

Pages : [1] 2

HiredDriver
07-16-2017, 11:24 PM
How can I remove hard water spots on side glass? I have used the best window cleaners, window microfiber towels, and newspaper. I just can't get these spots off the windows, I have heard trying 0000 steel wool, and lemon juice, but have not tried that yet... Car is a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, with 55,000 miles. Any buffing chemicals to try, I have buffers and polishers. Thanks a lot!!

Dr Oldz
07-16-2017, 11:48 PM
You can try Car Pro waterspot remover. If the spots are really etched into the glass and that doesn't work, Car Pro Ceriglass should do the trick.

AZpolisher15
07-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Duragloss Nu-Glass should take care of it. Or the McKees Glass Restorer product.

Eldorado2k
07-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Try the steel wool.

JTS
07-17-2017, 04:31 AM
Vinegar is less expensive than lemon juice.

TTQ B4U
07-17-2017, 06:39 AM
You can try Car Pro waterspot remover. If the spots are really etched into the glass and that doesn't work, Car Pro Ceriglass should do the trick.

^^ this. it's expensive but using it with a very hard LC Grey or Yellow pad dedicated for such uses makes short work of them. Just be sure to use a spray bottle of water to keep the slurry mixture working. Other tipes are to use a damp rag to remove most or all of the product before flushing it with water. I do this as I don't want remaining ceriglass getting caught in trim or other areas where it might break loose over time and get settle on the paint surface that would in-turn perhaps find its way under a sponge or towel.

Again, very important to not reuse any towels or rags with it for anything else. I don't even launder them, I toss them out as I don't want any partialss in my washer where I launder my other items.

Good luck!

Mantilgh
07-17-2017, 07:25 AM
I'd try a compound and a cutting pad first if a chemical cleaner is not working. That may do it.

If not, then I'd try Ceriglass

Mike Phillips
07-17-2017, 08:25 AM
How can I remove hard water spots on side glass? I have used the best window cleaners, window microfiber towels, and newspaper. I just can't get these spots off the windows, I have heard trying 0000 steel wool, and lemon juice, but have not tried that yet...

Steel scratches glass. I've seen experts recommend using steel wool all my life now for working on glass and all I've ever seen is scratched glass. It's easy to be an expert and make a recommendation while posting under a made-up nickname. But when something goes wrong.... then what do you do?

Car is a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, with 55,000 miles.

Any buffing chemicals to try, I have buffers and polishers.

Thanks a lot!!

As a person that detailed cars in Oregon I've buffed out a lot of water spots on glass. Here's the deal, a wool pad on a rotary buffer and any clearcoat-safe compound will usually do the trick.

When the FILM that build up on the glass takes place for years, hoping to somewhere chemically dissolve the film off the glass is a great idea but it usually won't work completely. The Optimum MDR is one glass remover I've used where after application of a film of the product onto the glass and allowing the product to dwell - you can actually see a chemical reaction taking place as the film and the perimeter rings of water spots turn white. You still have to SCRUB hard with something like terry cloth to agitate the film off.

Me?

I show all the time on the cars I buff out taking WHATEVER compound I'm already using on the paint and after compounding all the paint I simply then buff out the glass. And the chrome.

What do you have for buffers and polishers?

:)

Cruzscarwash
07-17-2017, 11:01 AM
id go with carpro waterspot remover first and even try using it as a clay lube.

if you want to go the compound route id use megs 4 as its chunkier, I think Mike told me about it, which is why I bought it but it does work

SANTA3013
07-17-2017, 11:23 AM
I've never had a problem using 0000 "brass" wool ultra fine. You could try a small test area first before doing the entire glass. YMMV

Mad Wax
07-17-2017, 02:26 PM
In over 90 percent of my situations with water spots on glass, I can never seem to remove them with just a spot remover. If it's a small area, and I don't want to bust out the polisher and pads, I just grab one of these (the yellow one) and combined with a glass polish (or any polish really) works extremely well! I have used 0000 steel wool with faster results, I just don't like the fragments it leaves behind.

HiredDriver
07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
My orbital buffer is an old Waxmaster A-100, I bought back in the mid-90's. My polisher is just a 7 inch variable speed Chicago Electric.
Appreciate all the input from everyone!! Most of the products, I use are from Adam's Polishes, Griot's and most recently Jay Leno's Garage.
Car has original paint, and the spotted side windows, is my head scratcher!! Thanks, again guys...

Mad Wax
07-18-2017, 07:21 PM
In over 90 percent of my situations with water spots on glass, I can never seem to remove them with just a spot remover. If it's a small area, and I don't want to bust out the polisher and pads, I just grab one of these (the yellow one) and combined with a glass polish (or any polish really) works extremely well! I have used 0000 steel wool with faster results, I just don't like the fragments it leaves behind.

Forgot the link! Sorry!

Flex Foam Finger Pockets (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-foam-finger-pockets.html)

ScottH
07-18-2017, 09:33 PM
I am testing McKees 37 Water Spot Remover in the coming days on glass and Paint. It's a brand new product. Check back in a few days for my review.

ScottH

HiredDriver
07-19-2017, 11:01 AM
I did try a polish on a blue pad, and buffed the window with the most spots. I used a glass cleaner afterwards, it looks a lot better. Its been overcast, out here last couple days, I need to bring it out in the sunlight, to get a better look at it. I will still like to purchase a spot remover, to get areas on windows, that I can't access with buffer.