PDA

View Full Version : Just got a TorqX and some VSS... very exited. Some questions

jdgamble
07-14-2017, 06:42 PM
So I've been wanting to get started with detailing for a long time, but it's finally here. I have a pretty seriously swirled white 09 Carrera and I'm going to start cleaning it up myself. Gently. I was planning on spending $1500 on a full paint correction, so hopefully this turns out to be a big savings and a new learning experience.

My plan is as follows:

- Wash with dawn (to strip wax... should that do it?) and two buckets
- Clay (although I've been claying bits and pieces already... the paint is pretty smooth)
- Should I do IPA? I'm not looking for perfection. Do you just poor it on a cloth and wipe down gently?
- VSS with the TorqX (watched several videos... seems pretty easy)
- I haven't decided on a wax/sealant. I currently have Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I know it's not the best but great to work with.

BIG question - Could I use the VSS on a clear bra? Mine is somewhat swirled. I would like to smooth out a little bit.

Any recommendations welcome. Again, I'm not looking for pro quality... just to clean up the swirls and take my detailing to the next level.

Thanks.

John

DaveT435
07-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Welcome to AG. I wouldn't use dawn. If your going to clay the wax will all come off then and your to polish. IPA you put in a spray bottle, spray the panel and wipe. Only use the IPA before your LSP. I haven't used VSS. I know a lot of people polish the clear bras. I would probably talk to someone who has used that product before hitting the clear bra with it.

TMQ
07-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Welcome...

You're off to a good start. Have a couple of suggestions for you...

1. Skip the dawn business---just use plain soap for autos
2. don't bother with IPA. You're not doing a coating. (this would be a wasted step.)

Wash, clay, polish and spray wax...Done...

Tom

jdgamble
07-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks for info guys. Wasn't sure on the IPA but that saves me a step.

Hey does anyone have a TorqX? The thing has zero instructions but a wrench and spare parts. Gotta do some Googling.

jdgamble
07-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Oh one more... any recommendation on the pad I should start with? I am a little hesitant to use the orange the first time. Would the white get swirls off?

custmsprty
07-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Oh one more... any recommendation on the pad I should start with? I am a little hesitant to use the orange the first time. Would the white get swirls off?

Did you buy that polisher from Autogeek? And please forgive my ignorance but what is VSS?

jdgamble
07-15-2017, 12:30 AM
I bought it from Amazon. The pads are HexLogic.

VSS is a Chemical Guys product I believe. Also an Amazon purchase.

PouncingPanzer
07-15-2017, 06:52 AM
My buddy got that exact polisher a little while back, he loves it. But, he did just use my brand new Rupers Bigfoot the other day and he is having thoughts about those now haha. The Hexlogic pads are fantastic, I really enjoy using them to finish any car. I have the white, black, and red ones.

Happy polishing!

PouncingPanzer
07-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Did you buy that polisher from Autogeek? And please forgive my ignorance but what is VSS?

VSS is a light compound from CG.

TMQ
07-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Duh...I thought it was a polish.

If it is a compound and then he is going to need a polish to finish out LSP ready.

Tom

briarpatch
07-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Welcome to AGO. Make sure you do a test spot to determine what pad to start with. I use the HexLogic (orange) pads and really like them. Do not sell the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax short, but realize it's not actually wax but a polymer-based sealant. I use it, and IMO, it's one of the better over-the-counter sealants you can buy. If you bought a kit, odds are you did not get multiples of any one pad. I'd recommend purchasing some more before you begin. Trying to do the car with one pad could be problematic.

jdgamble
07-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Yeah VSS is swirl and scratch remover. CG talks about it like it's a one step, but I picked up some Meguiars ultimate polish in case I need something to clean it up.

So thanks again. To Briar, how many pads would it usually take to do a full car? I did get a kit. I was planning on doing a section or two per session. I have three little kids so I doubt I'll ever have time to do the whole car at once.

briarpatch
07-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Yeah VSS is swirl and scratch remover. CG talks about it like it's a one step, but I picked up some Meguiars ultimate polish in case I need something to clean it up.

So thanks again. To Briar, how many pads would it usually take to do a full car? I did get a kit. I was planning on doing a section or two per session. I have three little kids so I doubt I'll ever have time to do the whole car at once.

I'm far from an expert....so hopefully others will add their opinions....but I go through 4-6 pads doing a one-step (HD Speed) on my pickup.....fewer for the HD Poxy topper. If you're going to order more, and decide to stick with HexLogic, I prefer the Quantums to the regular...less heat build up in my experience.

PaulMys
07-15-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm far from an expert....so hopefully others will add their opinions....but I go through 4-6 pads doing a one-step (HD Speed) on my pickup.....fewer for the HD Poxy topper. If you're going to order more, and decide to stick with HexLogic, I prefer the Quantums to the regular...less heat build up in my experience.

Your truck is huge, Briar. But I agree on the 4-6.

On my regular cab truck, I can do a full HD Speed with 4. No problem. I use LC flat pads. I think they work better than hex pads (IMO) and lend themselves to Mike P's "clean on the fly method" much better as well.

jdgamble
07-15-2017, 09:17 PM
So when do you know you need a new pad? What's the criteria?

Also, I assume you guys clean them right? I got pad cleaner in the kit. These aren't super disposable are they?