PDA

View Full Version : Clay lube

Pages : [1] 2

james751993
07-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Hey guys,

I was browsing youtube earlier today and came across a video called 'how to super clean your car' or something like that on chrisfix's channel.. you may have heard of him. Some of the techniques he used were a little questionable; laying on sealant like butter on bread (thickly), not using microfibre towels properly, and stripping the car down using dawn dish soap...

Now, I realise I might have answered my own question with the above statements but Id like to hear everyones opinion. Soapy water (diluted dawn dish soap) was used as a clay lube, is this something that could affect the clay in any way or is it ok as a lube? The reason I ask is I use meguiars quik detailer as a lube, whilst it does a great job, it's just so expensive here is Australia l.. around $18 a bottle. Could I subsitute it with soapy water or not?

If any one wants to have a look at the video here's the link; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXfSBR5Q9w

James

Bruno Soares
07-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Can you get ONR there? A 32oz bottle of ONR is around $18 and makes 16 gallons of Clay Lube.

Buster906
07-14-2017, 09:22 AM
I would never use dish soap as a clay lube. Do you have access to ONR?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
07-14-2017, 09:24 AM
I don't use it, but any car wash soap mixed at normal wash dilution would be a better choice than dish soap.

PouncingPanzer
07-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Optimum No Rinse for the clay lube if using actual clay. If using a clay pad/wash mitt, car wash at normal dilution ratio works great, or Optimum No Rinse. ONR is thee most economical and tbh the best clay lube I've ever encountered.

As for dish soap, it stays in the bloody kitchen!!!!!! Talk about nails down a chalkboard reading that every time.

Desertnate
07-14-2017, 09:59 AM
I don't use it, but any car wash soap mixed at normal wash dilution would be a better choice than dish soap.

Agree.

The last two times I've clayed one of my cars, I've used my car shampoo as lube and it worked really well.

Here is my process (note, I do this with a 2 bucket method to ensure my mitt is always clean):

- Wash panel with quality car shampoo and rinse it off like normal.
- Take wet, soapy mit and cover the panel/area with wash solution
- Run clay bar over the panel
- Rinse soap off the panel
- Move to the next panel

If I get any hint of the clay dragging, I add more soapy solution, but this is a VERY rare occurance.

kevin_1981
07-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Agree.

The last two times I've clayed one of my cars, I've used my car shampoo as lube and it worked really well.

Here is my process (note, I do this with a 2 bucket method to ensure my mitt is always clean):

- Move to the next panel

If I get any hint of the clay dragging, I add more soapy solution, but this is a VERY rare occurance.

EXACTLY. Or if i use my foam cannon... foam cannon the car.

Route246
07-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Any rinseless wash, quick detailer, diluted car soap or dedicated clay lube should be fine.

2wookies
07-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Love ONR for clay lube, and its so cheap!!!!

jps832
07-14-2017, 04:54 PM
2 ounces of Blackfire Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash, diluted in a 32 ounce spray bottle, worked great with a Nanoskin clay mitt this past weekend! Haven't tried it with a traditional clay bar, but think it would work just fine.

KirkH
07-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Agree.

- Move to the next panel

This is the perfect scenario for a nanoskin mitt.

FUNX650
07-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Soapy water (diluted dawn dish soap)
was used as a clay lube, is this some-
thing that could affect the clay in any
way or is it ok as a lube?

The reason I ask is I use meguiars quik
detailer as a lube, whilst it does a great
job, it's just so expensive here is Australia
l.. around $18 a bottle.

Could I subsitute it with soapy water or not?

•If you would elect to go with
Bilt Hamber's clay offerings...
you could then put to rest all
of the above indecisiveness
regarding "clay lubes":

Water is the recommended "lube"
for B-H's automotive clays. :xyxthumbs:

james751993
07-14-2017, 07:29 PM
After doing a quick search on google, it turns out there is a distributor for ONR! Its $27.99 which is cheap as chips compared to the amounts Im spending now :) Are you guys refering to ONR wash & shine or ONR wash & wax? Is there any difference in lubricity? Thank you! :)

James

ducksfan
07-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Either will work. But, they're typically referring to the wash and shine (Blue).

Buster906
07-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Either will work. But, they're typically referring to the wash and shine (Blue).Give this man a cigar. ONR BLUE

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk