PDA

View Full Version : Dyer venting

Pages : [1] 2

gr8almty1
07-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Moved into our house last August to find out that my truck was too long to fit. After 11 months of sitting outside, 3 days of hard work...the stallion is in the barn.

Is my new dryer vent exhaust over the truck ok or should I vent it down? Opinions on both please. Thanks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170712/bdf0b04491b3893f4f30eb919d16b9b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Shouldn't it vent to the outside? I wouldn't want that above my car...

gr8almty1
07-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Shouldn't it vent to the outside? I wouldn't want that above my car...

It should except we thought our brand new dryer was defective because it was not drying well. The vent original to the house went 12 ft north and 25 ft west to exit the house. Way to far and way to hard to push up so i created the shortest path.

idriveblackcars
07-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Well I know my vent has killed any trees branches that comes near it lol so yeah I wouldn't want that over the car.

It may not hurt the paint but over time who really knows.

WaxMaster1
07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Twist it 45 or 90 degrees counterclockwise

gr8almty1
07-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Twist it 45 or 90 degrees counterclockwise

Well that is brilliant.

hogie
07-12-2017, 08:49 AM
You shouldn't vent your dryer indoors. The moisture will invite mold into your garage in no time. I don't think it will hurt your paint though.

The vent in my old house had a fairly long path as well, but didn't create any issues. Have you verified that the old vent was clear? A quick hit with a leaf blower can clean them out easily enough. However, it can also blow joints apart.

vobro
07-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Besides heat there will be humidity/moisture that comes out of the vent. Also there will be lint.
In my area it's against code to vent exhaust into an attached garage and common walls between a house and garage usually are fire rated so you may want to put the 5/8" drywall back

mengelhardt
07-12-2017, 08:53 AM
bad idea. You do not want all that humid air vented into your garage constantly, which can lead to mold problems. Nor do you want this over the hood of your vehicles.
Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is against code, as it is considered an exhaust duct, and all exhaust ducts need to terminate OUTSIDE the building for various reasons. I also think this compromises that wall's fire rating. All common walls between a garage and a house needs to be a fire barrier. Unless this vent assembly is rated a fire barrier itself, I don't believe it would be up to code or pass inspection. This would probably need to be fixed if you ever sell this house.

Don M
07-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Use a K&N filter on the end of the vent pipe

SANTA3013
07-12-2017, 11:05 AM
I know that's not the best solution but sometimes you don't have a lot of choices simply because of how the house was built and where the laundry room was located.

We have the same setup in our house. Our house was built 17 years ago and we have never had a problem with mold or mildew. With that being said, we always open the garage doors when the dryer is running. I move the vehicles outside when we are drying clothes and when finished I use a blower to get rid of any reside/dust before moving cars back in.

I don't like this either but this is the house my wife wanted at the time so I have learned how to deal with it. Just as with our cars, there is no such thing as a perfect house.

fightnews
07-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Get an electric drier they have no vent.

MattPersman
07-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Maybe not for the gas line itself. But they most certainly have a vent like shown in the picture

02special
07-12-2017, 12:38 PM
just use an inline exhaust fan much like the one most have in their bathrooms. it will aid in pushing it the rest of the way outside

sportsfan
07-12-2017, 01:56 PM
:doh:

I think he means a vent less dryer unit.