PDA

View Full Version : Audi A5

Pages : [1] 2

schambers
07-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Good day folks,

Booked my first Audi with a co-worker today that just happens to be black. It's a swirled out mess. Being budget minded the owner decided on a 1 step exterior only job. Was hoping someone could let me know if in their experience with Audi's if the paint is generally hard or soft. Here's my plan of attack on it. Please let me know if you think I should do anything different and thank you for any responses.

Paint:
Pressure wash as much dirt as I can off
Wash
IronX
Clay
Will be using a PC 7424
Using either Menzerna AIO or HD Speed
Will try a LC ThinPro white pad first but I have a feeling I will have to go with an Orange
I know I said 1 step but I will give the customer a little extra and apply either Colorlock or BF Midnight Sun

Wheels:
Will use Meguiar's non-acid wheel cleaner
Speed Master to get the barrels.
IronX

So that's pretty much it. Again, thank you for any responses.

Gene

Salmonbum
07-11-2017, 05:17 PM
I just did a 2015 dark blue A6. Guy was on a budget so we kept it simple. Looked like it was only washed with an SOS pad its entire life. Wanted paint shinedd up and wheels to be easier to clean.

Wheels: wash, iron x, then hydro2 lite.

Paint:
Wash - CG citrus wash n gloss high concentrate.
Clay - Grioits syn clay
AIO - HD Speed.
GG6 with white ccs for most panels. Front end used MF cutting pad.
Topped with Merlin's magic potion

Test spot was critical. Told me the speed of arm/ machine to use. Speed 6 med pressure slow arm 2 passes then 2 quick light passes on 3. Let set 30 min before wipe.

schambers
07-11-2017, 05:28 PM
I just did a 2015 dark blue A6. Guy was on a budget so we kept it simple. Looked like it was only washed with an SOS pad its entire life. Wanted paint shinedd up and wheels to be easier to clean.

Wheels: wash, iron x, then hydro2 lite.

Paint:
Wash - CG citrus wash n gloss high concentrate.
Clay - Grioits syn clay
AIO - HD Speed.
GG6 with white ccs for most panels. Front end used MF cutting pad.
Topped with Merlin's magic potion

Test spot was critical. Told me the speed of arm/ machine to use. Speed 6 med pressure slow arm 2 passes then 2 quick light passes on 3. Let set 30 min before wipe.

I was thinking about ordering some MF pads. Probably should just have some on-hand.

Salmonbum
07-11-2017, 05:45 PM
I was thinking about ordering some MF pads. Probably should just have some on-hand.

I was a bit nervous that MF would be a bit much but when the orange ccs wasn't doing it I gave it a go. It finished out great.

Note... above I put white ccs when I shoulda said orange. White was too light.

For the HD Speed..... No prime on foam just 4 dots them 2 thereafter. MF I did a very light prime.

All pads 5.5"

idriveblackcars
07-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Any time I ever needed to compound any scratches out in mine I alway used microfiber. Foam doesn't cut well on VW/Audi and especially BMW. But if you are not trying to get all the defects out then I guess microfiber doesn't matter.

schambers
07-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Want to get the best I can with an AIO....any preferences on MF pads? I've never used MF...

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

adamgayton81
07-11-2017, 08:02 PM
I've had great results with HD Speed combined with Uro Fiber MF pads. Don't plenty of black German vehicles and Japanese as well...all turned out excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillSports3
07-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Black Audis can be super soft, we have a member here who mentions his black Audi paint is soft enough that he can marr it if he doesn't wipe right. So don't be surprised if you get some marring with a MF cutting pad. I would suggest doing a test spot with a MF finishing pad and a MF cutting pad, and comparing the two.

ScottH
07-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Likely you will need the orange pads with an
AIO. My wife and I have A4's and the first AIO was McKees 37 360 and the white pad was not enough. The first session required orange and the maintenance sessions I use white pads. Mine is dark blue and wife's is white.

ScottH

lawrenceSA
07-12-2017, 01:40 AM
On the whole I'd say Audi's are generally harder paint, however I have definitely had a few with soft paint, so as always, instead of going into the detail with a preconceived plan of attack, rather conduct a few test spots to see how that specific paint is reacting to your various combinations, and go from there.

schambers
07-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Preciate the feedback everyone. I'll proceed forward as I always do with my test spots and see what happens.

ivygreen
07-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, but...I get good results on my Audi S5 with Speed on LC Orange. I've used microfiber on it to remove etching, but they mar and I have to come back with something else. My car is Gray, not black. Not sure if there's a hardness difference between the colors, but I doubt it.

schambers
07-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, but...I get good results on my Audi S5 with Speed on LC Orange. I've used microfiber on it to remove etching, but they mar and I have to come back with something else. My car is Gray, not black. Not sure if there's a hardness difference between the colors, but I doubt it.

thank you for the feedback...client already knows not to expect a 100% so I think I am going to go at it with the thinpro's and see what I can get...between the stuff I bought with the last 25% sale and then AG coming right behind it with the 30% microfiber sale....the old wallet is looking a bit thin...shelling out $20 a pad right now isn't doable. But down the road a little ways I'll invest in some MF...

Ancient1
07-13-2017, 05:51 PM
I would suggest using Menz HC400 with a Boss MF pad topped with a spray sealant. I doubt you will get enough cut with a AIO.

schambers
07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
I would suggest using Menz HC400 with a Boss MF pad topped with a spray sealant. I doubt you will get enough cut with a AIO.

Bit the bullet and ordered the G21 kit today... so between the creams that comes with their kit and what I already have on hand... I think I'll get that A5 looking pretty sweet....looking forward to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)