PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

jonklim
07-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Hello everyone, this is kind of a multi-part question. I used the Mothers 2.0 speed clay the other day, as instructed on the video. But, the paint didn't feel totally smooth. Am I not pressing hard enough. It also looked this is left some scratches behind or is that just residue.

I also just purchased Blackfire blackice combo kit. What is the best way to use it?

Thank you
Jon

jimd@mothers
07-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Hi, jonklim,

It is possible a little more pressure may be necessary to remove more stubborn contaminants -- this may also be true with traditional clay.

SpeedClay 2.0 is faster in general because it does not require the time-consuming kneading process, but also can be gentler under some circumstances and maybe this is one of those circumstances. More passes or more pressure would be recommended.

If you have some trails (which can appear like scratches), which can also happen with a traditional clay under some circumstances, try a cleaner wax or whatever polish/wax regimen to remove. The clay surface does not scratch, but rinsing/cleaning of the surface is required as you progress so you don't drag unwanted debris across the surface.

If you have continued concerns, please contact me directly and I'll be glad to assist.

JimD@mothers(.com)
714-891-3364 x241

jonklim
07-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Hi, jonklim,

It is possible a little more pressure may be necessary to remove more stubborn contaminants -- this may also be true with traditional clay.

SpeedClay 2.0 is faster in general because it does not require the time-consuming kneading process, but also can be gentler under some circumstances and maybe this is one of those circumstances. More passes or more pressure would be recommended.

If you have some trails (which can appear like scratches), which can also happen with a traditional clay under some circumstances, try a cleaner wax or whatever polish/wax regimen to remove. The clay surface does not scratch, but rinsing/cleaning of the surface is required as you progress so you don't drag unwanted debris across the surface.

If you have continued concerns, please contact me directly and I'll be glad to assist.

JimD@mothers(.com)
714-891-3364 x241

Jim....thank you. I am very new to the clay process but understand that it works great when done properly. I must admit, the 2.0 does feel good in your hand. It's very easy to use. I was following the instructions from the video. Basically says to wash the car, leave 2.0 in the bucket with suds. Rinse the car and then use the 2.0. Do i need another solution or suds to go on while using the 2.0? I appreciate the reply.

AZpolisher15
07-11-2017, 02:36 PM
I agree-- you need to be rinsing often. Any debris you dislodge is a potential scratch inducer. The pad itself isn't the culprit. I generally use a bare hand in coordination with the clay pad in the other. I make light swipes with my bare hand and follow with the pad throughout the entire process. Not foolproof, obviously, as they're are contaminants you can't feel. But a lot of it you can feel. It's basically a process of "feeling" the contaminants, removing with the pad, and then "checking" with the bare hand with another pass. If I feel it needs it, I make another pass with the pad. Sounds involved, but it's really not at all. Just a routine and it goes quickly.

RMarkJr
07-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone, this is kind of a multi-part question. I used the Mothers 2.0 speed clay the other day, as instructed on the video. But, the paint didn't feel totally smooth. Am I not pressing hard enough. It also looked this is left some scratches behind or is that just residue.

I also just purchased Blackfire blackice combo kit. What is the best way to use it?

Thank you
Jon

The paint will never feel totally smooth if you are using a plastic bag to feel with. Also you might need to use some chemical decontamination like Iron-X. As far as the scratches or residue cant really say without pictures.. but I would imagine that if it was residue then you would be able to wipe it up with a towel and detail spray. Could be scratches if you picked up something and slid it around on the bottom of the pad against the paint.

jonklim
07-11-2017, 04:23 PM
The paint will never feel totally smooth if you are using a plastic bag to feel with. Also you might need to use some chemical decontamination like Iron-X. As far as the scratches or residue cant really say without pictures.. but I would imagine that if it was residue then you would be able to wipe it up with a towel and detail spray. Could be scratches if you picked up something and slid it around on the bottom of the pad against the paint.

Thanks....i did watch another detail video and after the clay bar, he used iron x. Let it sit for a little then rinsed. Can you tell me what would be next? Dont have a machine. Doing it by hand.

VISITOR
07-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks....i did watch another detail video and after the clay bar, he used iron x. Let it sit for a little then rinsed. Can you tell me what would be next? Dont have a machine. Doing it by hand.

after you decontaminate the paint, depending on the defects (how little or severe) you can either go straight to your LSP or use a cleaner wax which will help not only clean the paint and remove very minor swirls, but add a little protection. do yourself a favor and buy a DA, you won't regret it. i've been recommending the GG6 for many years and still do. here's a great write-up mike did below...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/111332-here-s-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQB4wb1L0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3wePHNE3I