PDA

View Full Version : Waxing (or Show Preparation) After Paint Job

MrWhite
07-09-2017, 08:55 PM
A question for the forum.

I recently had my car repainted as my canopy collapsed on top of it. It is a shame as the car was pristine to begin with, but I digress. The body shop did a very good job and the car looks great. They did things right and applied a heavier that normal clear coat, so that they had enough thickness to wet sand and polish the paint. It came out well.

In the past, my routine with the car was to use:

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (initially)
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (every two to three months)
and Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray (after every wash)

I want to enter my car in the Western Washington All British Field Meet later this month. The new paint looks good, but looks like it needs a final polish and wax. It just doesn't quite pop like it did when waxed.

I was told that I needed to wait 60 days prior to waxing the car (bummer) so that the paint can completely off-gas and cure. My understanding is that the Ultimate Liquid Wax is synthetic and more of a sealant than a wax, so I should probably avoid this for now. But, what about the polish? Is that safe to use now? And the quick detailing wax? Should I avoid that?

What would you put on a recently pained car to make it look it's best for a show?

Eldorado2k
07-09-2017, 09:03 PM
This is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html

I would avoid any quik detailers with their own "hydrophobic" properties. The standard Meguiars Quik Detailer in the maroon bottle is fine.

The Guz
07-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Look into Meguiar's M305 or Optimum Car Wax. Both are fresh paint safe and work fine.

I used both after having my car repainted last year with no ill effects.

MrWhite
07-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys.

MrWhite
07-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Well, I spent the day cleaning the car yesterday. I used the M305 with a DA polisher. It is not as good as the Ultimate Polish / Ultimate Wax routine that I normally use (but I wasn't expecting it to be). However, it looks way better than it did before. The M305 really helped to remove the swirls left by the orbital buffer used at the body shop.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm well on my way to being ready for next weekends car show.

The Guz
07-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy it. M305 surprised me as to how long it lasted.