PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn today?

Pages : [1] 2

RMarkJr
07-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Hello, I figured this would be a great thread to get started and hopefully one that will get many many replies and continue to grow.

I will of course start

Today I learned that using a steamer with the three hole extension with a horse hair brush can and will leave steamer lines on leather, even on a low pressure setting .... not good. However I also found that using a microfiber towel wrapped around that brush on the steamer will get rid of the marks that the tool created.

So note to self .. next time cleaning leather with the steamer always use the attachment with a towel wrapped around it to prevent the lines from happening. However it does increase heat so move faster with light pressure and dont go over the same spot too soon.

KirkH
07-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Today I learned that pressure washer foam cannons are not worth the trouble. Mine always clog, pressure lock, etc even when I clean them regularly with CLR. They are a lot of fun, but getting out the PW, hooking up the cannon, etc. It may be more trouble than its worth.

idriveblackcars
07-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Today I learned that pressure washer foam cannons are not worth the trouble. Mine always clog, pressure lock, etc even when I clean them regularly with CLR. They are a lot of fun, but getting out the PW, hooking up the cannon, etc. It may be more trouble than its worth.

After 5 years of using them I swear they don't prep the car for a two bucket wash any better than spraying the car down with just the pressure washer.

PaulMys
07-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Anything I read in one of Bob's posts........

custmsprty
07-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Foam gun and 2 buckets :autowash:

Rsurfer
07-07-2017, 07:44 PM
•In Surfactant Chemistry:
-Micelles "wraps around" dirt.

Does foam contain any micelles?

Bob

custmsprty
07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
•In Surfactant Chemistry:
-Micelles "wraps around" dirt.

Does foam contain any micelles?

Bob

Encapsulation.

In my world of cleaning chemicals we teach emulsify, suspend, remove.

Take some lip stick, put it on a mirror, spray a good "foaming glass cleaner" like Spray On and watch the experiment.

Then wipe it away and turn over the towel.

Mantilgh
07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Anything I read in one of Bob's posts........

I was just looking for my "Bob's List" of recommend products today and then I realized my Notes didn't transfer when I upgraded my phone. :(

PaulMys
07-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I was just looking for "Bob's List" of recommend products today and then I realized my Notes didn't transfer when I upgraded my phone. :(

I pray you haven't angered the Bob.

dlc95
07-07-2017, 10:52 PM
1. Don't even think about prepping a brand new wool pad indoors. Either do it outside, or use a vacuum cleaner as it spins.

2. You may one day work with someone with less years, but more cars under their belt. Stay open minded, but also, know your strengths, know your systems. You will be judged on both your process, and result.

3. You may one day reach a point where you're sought after for your specialty. This is a good thing. Just beware of what you may get yourself into. "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it" - as my old boss used to say.

RMarkJr
07-09-2017, 12:57 PM
well today I figured out that the best way for me to clean really dirty seams on panels and dashes is to either use a bristle brush or a foam painting brush that comes to an edge. But instead of letting it air dry ... i use my 150PSI compressor and blow it out while its still wet right after scrubbing.

This seems to be way better than letting it air dry and I can see the results instantly as well. When it air dries it dried back with the dirt. I guess there really wasnt a good way to get a towel in there and remove the liquid that had the dirt in there.

RippyD
07-09-2017, 02:26 PM
i use my 150PSI compressor and blow it out while its still wet right after scrubbing.
Where does all the dirt encapsulated liquid go? I assume other surface that you can then wipe off?

I learned (finally, and yesterday) that M105 is pretty terrible for newbies. Not saying it isn't good stuff, but compared to something like Boss Fast Correcting Cream it's night and day for somebody with limited experience and tools. Also learned that Boss FCC will finish amazingly well with an MF on hard paint. Not saying this is new info, but new level of understanding and appreciation for me.

RMarkJr
07-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Where does all the dirt encapsulated liquid go? I assume other surface that you can then wipe off?

I learned (finally, and yesterday) that M105 is pretty terrible for newbies. Not saying it isn't good stuff, but compared to something like Boss Fast Correcting Cream it's night and day for somebody with limited experience and tools. Also learned that Boss FCC will finish amazingly well with an MF on hard paint. Not saying this is new info, but new level of understanding and appreciation for me.
Ya it just blows out in streams. I have the towel right in front of the air stream so it catches it... Anything else I just wipe right up. It doesn't get the other areas dirty if that's what you're asking.

Richs66
07-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Real newbie here, learned you can do that "Baggie" test all day long and still feel something. LOL....Clayed my roof last month, got it real good, been using that washless & wax from Wallyworld so you know its top notch. LOL...Don"t like using soap & water on the roof because its a pain to get all the water trapped in the rear window trim out. Now the car doesn"t go out in any kind of bad weather, so I was surprised when I did the baggie deal today. Wow not good, so I tried that "Clayzilla" today, seems to work pretty good...........wanted to finish the car today but the weather is getting bad so I'm gonna try later.

Odd that the roof got that bad seeing the car doesn"t sit out much if ever. So I'm taking it I need to upgrade to something better than the Walmart brand if I don"t want to use the regular wash.

I'm old & slow, but I'm getting better at this detailing game.

Rich

PaulMys
07-10-2017, 05:33 PM
^^^Lmao!^^^