PDA

View Full Version : Generator/Pressure Washer problems

danieledwards12
07-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Why won't my genreator pull my electric pressure washer? I have a Honda EU2000i generator. My electric Pressure washer is the Greenworks 2000. When expaining to me my issues please use lamen terms because I do not have the knowledge to understand all the terms associated in the electical word. If the pressure washer is just to much for the genreator would the smaller Greenworks 1500 pressure washer work? I don't know if it would or not because they both have the same 13.2 AMPS. Again, i don't know what that means so please don't make fun of me for being ignorant on the subject.

ducksfan
07-07-2017, 10:27 AM
The basics are you have a 2000 watt generator (And a good one. Probably the most popular 'quality' generator sold). Watts divided by voltage (2000/110) tells you that theoretically your generator can run an 18 amp load. But it doesn't work that way because of the way they rate the generator. It's rating is for short surges (Not peak) I think. So you probably looking at being able to use at most maybe 15 amps continuously (That's a guess. It could be a little less).

So, how does this pertain to you? Well, you're close to the max. Your tool actually could be pulling more power for various reasons. It's hard to say over the computer and you really need someone who knows a little more than the basics like I do. But, that's a start. How does it do when run on a 15 amp house circuit?

You might also want to describe what's happening when you try to power your pressure washer.

FrankS
07-07-2017, 01:22 PM
The rated running amps for the Honda 2000 generator is about 13 amps. So you are right at maximum capacity.

You will need a larger generator or hook up the Honda to a companion Honda generator to give you more amps.

I think that most consumer grade electric pressure washers pull about the same 13 amps.

danieledwards12
07-07-2017, 01:37 PM
You lost me at 15 amp house circuit!! Told you I was ignorant on this hahahaha. Are you talking about just a regular house outlet? If so, then it works just perfect. No issues at all...

Ok to try and describe what it is or is not doing when hooked up to the generator. It does noting at all! It doesn't bog the generator down like it is trying to work it or anythig. The over useage light (not correct term) does not come on to say it is over loaded or anyhting.

FrankS - So basically you told me what i was afraid of but was hoping i was wrong!!

Everything was going so good, and I was finally starting to get my Mobile Business up and running. This is just a little kink in the process and I am not going to let it discouage me. When i started this i prayed about it and i told God it was in his hands. I will Trust that He will give me the knowledge to resolve it. I might have to be patient and save a little more income before i can proceed.

FrankS
07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
The Greenworks are good pressure washers. Not sure how long they will last using them on a daily basis. You could always get an extended warranty just in case. Perhaps someone will chime in who has used them for mobile detailing.

Unfortunately, the Honda EU2000 won't handle it since you are at maximum capacity. It should work okay if you get the Companion Honda 2000 and hook them up together but that would be an extra expense and they're not cheap.

You could always use the customers electrical outlet and it should work fine. But if you're doing cars in parking lots then you may not have access to an outlet.

I was running into the same problem. I had a Karcher pressure washer and was using the customer's power but I wound up getting a gas pressure washer so I wouldn't have to depend on the customer's power and be more self sufficient.

The gas pressure washer I have now makes more noise but it's a good commercial grade unit that will last a while.

I have a nice commercial grade electric pressure washer that I like, nice and quiet, that I use at home. I tried to take it mobile with me but I ran into the same problem with the generator.

Firehouse Mike
07-07-2017, 02:16 PM
I've been using a Ryobi 1700psi / 1.2gpm pressure washer for a couple years now with my EU2000i. The washer is a 13 amp unit as well and I have had no issues at all with it and it's running the water pump too! The Greenworks needing a higher starting amperage maybe?

Upwardly Mobile Detailing
07-07-2017, 02:40 PM
technically the honda eu20001 is not a generator but more an inverter. Dont quote me on this but because of it being a inverter there is no surge power. You have a 2000 watt 20 amp power source. Unlike generators when you they are put to their max operating power you will here the motor running hard trying to keep up. with the honda being an inverter, it will simply shut down if it can't handle the power draw. Does the honda try and run the pressure washer?

danieledwards12
07-07-2017, 03:24 PM
No, it does not try at all. I can have everything hooked up and plug it in to the honda and it will click just like it does when i plug it in to a regualr house outlet. the little green light will come on showing it is getting power. then i turn the knob to the on position and it does nothing. the honda does not bog down or act as if it is trying to run it. i can litterly unplug from the honda and plug it straight in to the house outlet and it kicks right over.

07-07-2017, 03:38 PM
im not really good with the electrical conversions and amps and watts and stuff, but it seems like you might be under powered then. I can run my 30 amp steamer off my honda eu3000 which has blown house fuses, so im a little surprised yours cant power the pressure washer.

07-07-2017, 03:42 PM
just looked up the eu2000 and it is only 13.3 amp rated so i think you are under powered. Like i said the honda is an inverter so there is no surge charge, the built in circuit protector cuts off power to the pressure washer

Route246
07-07-2017, 06:45 PM
I have this generator and it handles a 16+ amp surge and 13+ amp sustained current. I run a Skil worm drive circular saw off of it when I'm off grid and although the saw starts up a little rough it sustains just fine. This generator is very stout and should be able to handle any load that your 15 amp house circuit runs. The startup surge is a little tough on it but it handles it OK.

danieledwards12
07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
UPDATE!!

I had come to the conclusion that I was either going to have to buy another generator, or buy a gas powered pressure washer. I didn't run out and buy either one right off the bat for a couple reasons. 1) I have the mentality that if i don't have the money to buy it then i don't 2) I wanted to do a deep reasearch and find what would be the best for the pourposes I would be using.

Well last weekend my dad stopped at a yard sale because he saw some saw horses he wanted. (I may or may not have took new ownership of the two small tables he was using as saw horses). Hey, I needed them for storage in my detail room at my house haha. Anyway, he also found an extension cord for $5. He bought it as well. The extension cord was a thicker gauged cord than the one I am currently using.

Tonight I was setting here at the house cooling off from this hot weather and I got to thinking. I wondered if that thicker guaged cord would make a differnce with my issues. I went outside and hooked everything up with my cord and still nothing (like I thought it would somehow now work where it didn't before). Anyway, I loaded up my pressure washer and generator and off to my parents house I go. I get there and unload my equipment and dad comes out and asks what I am doing. I explain and go about my business.

I hooked everything up and crossed my fingers. Long story short, Dad is now out $5 on his new extenion cord, it has a new owner (me) It worked flawlessly. To my defense I did tell him I had to go buy a new thicker cord, but he insisted I just keep that one!!!

Thankfull I have parents who are supporting me in my new business adventure, and thankfull that God took care of me and gave me a cheaper alternative to having to buy a new generator or pressure washer.

215Detailing
07-15-2017, 03:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR9tlFIkDKk