PDA

View Full Version : car just went in for partial paint issues

BigFloppy
12-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I finally got round to polishing the passenger's side door monday evening, to my surprise and shock, I found a serious paint anomaly... (looks like dust beneath the paint at manufacturing time) bubbled up, it's only a couple of mm round, but looking closely, I'm seeing it... so did the service advisior

So, they're definitely repainting at least some if not all of my passenger side door!! woohoo

A couple of questions come to mind...

1)What are the odds it will come back with orange-peel or not

2)Are they just going to blast the localised area down and repaint, or are they likely to repaint the whole door?

3)If it comes back with NO orange-peel in this area, am I justified in telling them they have to match the rest of my car to the current paint level?

4)They wouldn't be stupid enough to use single stage paint on this would they... if so, is there an easy way to tell single stage from clearcoated?

ehuth1
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
sounds like you had some fisheyes! My dad had those on his F-350 Dually on the bed and he got a complete re-paint, bed only. It looked great after the re-paint, and hope yours does the same.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
A couple of questions come to mind...

1)What are the odds it will come back with orange-peel or not
hard to tell without knowing the shops work

2)Are they just going to blast the localised area down and repaint, or are they likely to repaint the whole door?
I would imagine they will repaint the area in questions and will feather/blend the area with the rest of the paint,

3)If it comes back with NO orange-peel in this area, am I justified in telling them they have to match the rest of my car to the current paint level?
Nope,

4)They wouldn't be stupid enough to use single stage paint on this would they... if so, is there an easy way to tell single stage from clearcoated?
Doubt they will use SS, if paint comes off when polishing you have SS

See Comments in Blues

BigFloppy
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, just got a call from the dealer, they're repainting the whole door BUT I'm going to lose my side-stripe (it wasn't an original stripe so I'm not too worried about it)

I'm thinking as part of the deal, I might just remove all the stripes from my car and leave it pure triple black

joe.p
12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Orange peel is a certain kind of texture that may develop on painted surfaces.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner,but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

Bonifax
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Orange peel is a certain kind of texture that may develop on painted surfaces.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner,but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

Interesting, however I've noticed that a lot, and I mean a lot of new cars have this orange peel defect, even the so called premium brands have this issue sometimes.