PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sun friendly ceramic coating

Pages : [1] 2

Calendyr
07-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Ok, so I am mobile and most of my jobs are done outside.

So far I have only used 2 coatings: The discontinued Opti-Coat 2.0, and McKee's 37 Paint Coating.

Both products worked ok. No client ever called me back to complain about them so I am assuming that the products delivered on their promise so far.

My bottle of McKee's coating is about empty and I need to decide what to use next.

So have any of you guys been using coatings in the conditions I am facing, and do you have prefered products, and why?

My issue with McKee's paint coating is that because it is a spray. about half of the product doesn't make it to the pannel because of the wind. Also, it creates overspray on parts of the car that I have already coated so I am always working over myself which is a waste of time. So I am thinking a product in liquid form would be better.

ShaneB
07-06-2017, 11:28 PM
IMO, coatings require too controlled of an environment to be able to apply them outside. Switching over to the non spray type coatings will probably result in other issues like high spots that cure faster than you can level them. Are you at least doing this in the shade? I wouldn't dare try to apply a coating on a hot panel in direct sunlight.

It's an expensive test if you decide to give it a shot and it doesn't work. Lose some expensive product and time too if you end up needing to polish any high spots out.

You could always spray your applicator first rather than the panel and apply that way. No overspray that way and you could find ways to block the wind while you do it

PouncingPanzer
07-07-2017, 05:36 AM
I would be too nervous applying a coating outside. Between the wind, debris, and sunlight there are too many bad elements to contend with. I see high spots galore with the sunlight. Myself, I would use a good silica spray sealant and call it a detail. Customers who want the convenience of a mobile detail without having shelter to do so will have to understand that some services just can't easily be performed in that situation.

However, for the sake of the topic if I had to try to apply one coating outside, I would absolutely attempt to use CQuartz UK. It has a super fast working time as it is, and easy on/off would make it the fastest and safest I feel. But, I would still rather do it inside and as mentioned above, that could be an expensive experiment that I certainly wouldn't try on a customer's car first.

ronkh57
07-07-2017, 07:36 AM
My issue with McKee's paint coating is that because it is a spray. about half of the product doesn't make it to the pannel because of the wind. Also, it creates overspray on parts of the car that I have already coated so I am always working over myself which is a waste of time. So I am thinking a product in liquid form would be better.

Spray the applicator, not the car........

jkrig
07-07-2017, 07:44 AM
I've done Gloss-Coat outside a number of times with no issues, though not it direct sunlight I have a 10'x20' canopy.....this time of year (high humidity) Gloss-Coat flashes so quickly I don't worry about it...

Paul A.
07-07-2017, 08:42 AM
I use the "ShaneB/Ronkh" method with McKee's coating and that's to spray the applicator up close and shielded from the wind.

WillSports3
07-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Can I suggest polish angel? PA coatings apply like wax so it should make your life easier when coating outside.

Cruzscarwash
07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Can I suggest polish angel? PA coatings apply like wax so it should make your life easier when coating outside.

this is the route I wanted to take as well but if the OP is anything like me, cure times is an issue.

I use M37 coating in direct sunlight an di have high winds (10-20MPH daily) so turning and spraying the pad not the car is key, or spray it on the pad under the car works well to. mckees is the only one I have found that I can apply in the sun and still work with anything else to include PBL v2 was a no go as it flashed way to fast. now I have tried CanCoat and it does a pretty good job but it only last3-6 months so with that you might as well just go the sealant route

Calendyr
07-07-2017, 04:21 PM
I apply it by spraying both the pad and the pannel. I give 2 squits on the pad then 5-6 on the pannel as instructions say. I guess I could spray the pad 5-6 times and not spray the pannel, will try that the next time I use it.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into the Polish Angel product. Can you elaborate on the cure time issue?

As for working in the sun. I always try to do the coating when shade is around. Not always possible but if I am forced to work in the sun I do very small sections at a time instead of the full pannel. So far it has worked all right. I have not had to do a black car in those conditions, so that might be something impossible to do because the pannel would be too hot.

Cruzscarwash
07-07-2017, 04:27 PM
If u just use it alone it does not get 9h hardness. It's suggested to do two coats 2hrs apart

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

custmsprty
07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
I did my Rogue outside with PA Viking Coat. No issues at all.

Cruzscarwash
07-07-2017, 04:36 PM
It also has a 12 he cure time

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Calendyr
07-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Looked at the Polish Angel description. They offer 18-24 months protection, where all other coatings are 2+ years. So I would not be comfortable offering a coating that last less than 2 years. Also doing 2 coats 2 hours appart means I have to charge a lot more for the service, which is not something I am willing to do.

I think I will have to stay with McKee's or try Gloss Coat.

Cruzscarwash
07-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Mckees is only a year so polish angel would be an Improvement. Also I'm after a year or a little more your paint is ready for a re polish most the time anyhow

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sean M at ShowShine
07-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Current quality and long term coatings require controlled environments. Thats all there is to it really. If you can only work outside don't offer coatings as an option.

As far as I know all quality coatings should have 48 hours to fully cure without any moisture. That includes morning dew.