PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax

Rtrick87
07-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Bought a new car a month ago, threw wax on it the day I got home because I didn't have time to coat it. Now I'm going to have some time coming up. It has Chemical Guys XXX carnuba wax on it now, best way to remove it? I have CG's Clean Slate. Going to be using Mckee 37 paint coating. Thanks

Mike Phillips
07-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Bought a new car a month ago, threw wax on it the day I got home because I didn't have time to coat it. Now I'm going to have some time coming up. It has Chemical Guys XXX carnuba wax on it now, best way to remove it? I have CG's Clean Slate. Going to be using Mckee 37 paint coating. Thanks

If it were me and my car I would use a fine cut polish and machine polish the paint after normal washing, drying and claying if needed.

Do the baggie test to see if the paint needs to be clayed.

Then chemically strip the paint and apply the coating.

To chemically strip the paint you can use the McKee's Paint Prep Lotion or any of the spray-on, wipe-off chemical strippers.

I tend to use either the BLACKFIRE, Wolfgang or GYEON versions of a chemical stripper, they all work good.

:)

Rtrick87
07-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks Mike. Would is still be necessary to machine polish the paint? I have checked under direct sunlight st different angles as well as under the great gas station lighting and have not seen any type of swirls or marring. I'm hesitant with machine polishing. I'm not too great at it and don't want to leave any type of trails or haze. I was using m105,m205 on my previous car and noticed at certain angles in the sun I would see hazing. But then again I was not doing an IPA wipedown because I'm new to polishing��.

Rsurfer
07-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I would drop the 105, not the easiest compound to work with. Wolfgang, Blackfire and Menzerna have much easier compounds to work with. 205 is a good finishing polish.

Loach
07-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Check out Mckee's 37 Coating Prep Polish. This is a non abrasive paint cleanser that you can apply by hand or machine, I've enjoyed working with it and I think it's a great option for you if you don't want to use an abrasive polish.

Cruzscarwash
07-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Thanks Mike. Would is still be necessary to machine polish the paint? I have checked under direct sunlight st different angles as well as under the great gas station lighting and have not seen any type of swirls or marring. I'm hesitant with machine polishing. I'm not too great at it and don't want to leave any type of trails or haze. I was using m105,m205 on my previous car and noticed at certain angles in the sun I would see hazing. But then again I was not doing an IPA wipedown because I'm new to polishing��.

man, you must have bought that car from a member of the forums because not seeing any swirls or marring on a used car is rare. nice find man

cleanmycorolla
07-06-2017, 06:48 PM
man, you must have bought that car from a member of the forums because not seeing any swirls or marring on a used car is rare. nice find man

ha

Rtrick87
07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Lol- It's brand a new car. Not used.