PDA

View Full Version : Wheel brushes become less soft over time?

Desertnate
07-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Right now I'm using this wheel brush from Mothers to clean the faces and outer edges of wheels. I really like the shape and it has served me faithfully for many years.

Mothers Wheel Brush makes cleaning your wheels more comfortable with a rubberized grip. Clean your wheels with Mothers Car Care Products! (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wheel-brush.html)

However, this past weekend while washing a couple of my vehicles, I noticed the bristles don't feel very soft. The surface of the brush has actually become rather coarse and I don't think I want to use it on my wheels any longer. Have I been that inattentive over the years, or does the split ends of the bristles break away over time making the brush more coarse.

Looking at the images of the brush here at Autogeek, you can see two distinct colors on the bristles. The tips are whiter at the ends. Images from other sources (to include Mother's corporate site) show a more uniform color to the bristles which is how mine looks. Could there be two different generations of brushes?

I need a new brush, but it comes to looking at something different or simply getting another Mothers.

BlackMDX
07-05-2017, 08:49 AM
It's a good brush. My tips are/were lighter in color when it was new over a year ago, but they are somewhat soiled now from using it on tires and brake dust. However, my bristles are still very soft when used with warm water and Meg's Classic car wash. I religiously wash the brush in clean detergent after each use, and then I rinse it with the hose, shake out the water and hang on a hook to dry. I can't say whether or not this care makes any difference in the life and softness of the bristles, but is something to consider.

My advice is buy another one. It is a terrific wheel brush, and won't break the bank. My next one might be the long handled version.

PA DETAILER
07-05-2017, 09:48 AM
It is a good brush. It's what I use. But for sure over time it wears out. But I find them cheap enough to just replace. I always rinse mine and shake out after each use and hang dry it on a nail that fits thru the handle.

Desertnate
07-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks all. I've had the brush so long I don't remember when I bought it. Despite being rinsed out and left to air dry following use, I have a feeling it's just time for a new one.

WillSports3
07-05-2017, 10:47 AM
What I would try is to soak the brushes in some vinegar and water solution or an apc solution. It could be not just the brushes getting old but rather too much stuff being stuck on over the years.

PouncingPanzer
07-05-2017, 11:11 AM
I have never used that brush in particular, but other brushes I have noticed degradation over time. As with most of our tools. I just picked up a Chemical Guys wheel brushed and it is very soft and flexible. So far, so good, Before that I used DI wheel brushes and those held up well unless left bent in a weird position for too long, so now I always straighten them out before putting them away. I used wheel woolies for a little while, and in a very short period of time noticed those start to feel stiff and dingy. I was disappointed in the woolies, I wanted to like them a lot more then I did.

PouncingPanzer
07-05-2017, 11:12 AM
What I would try is to soak the brushes in some vinegar and water solution or an apc solution. It could be not just the brushes getting old but rather too much stuff being stuck on over the years.

Good idea, vinegar seems to work wonders on old towels and mitts, maybe brushes too.

Dmb5450
07-05-2017, 11:33 AM
I let brushes soak 5 min prior to use in my bucket. I add an ounce of waterless/rinseless wash concentrate to my wheel bucket. This seems to soften them up as well. Not sure if it's just my imagination, but I think it keeps the brushes softer longer.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

WillSports3
07-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I think the waterless/rinseless wash in your wheel bucket isn't necessarily softening them up but rather providing better dirt release. I do the same thing for my wheel bucket, or even if I use an actual 2BM wash method which I only do once a year after winter time and before the spring full detail. It's also why I soak my polishing pads in some rinseless wash solution before I use them, releases the polish residue a lot easier.

VISITOR
07-05-2017, 06:40 PM
it could be that the flagged bristles are wearing down from frequent use. like pads and microfibers, they run their course and you'll eventually have to replace them...

Dr Oldz
07-05-2017, 09:29 PM
They are great brushes and I would just consider that normal wear and tear. Toss and replace. Wheels can be nasty and I feel they hold up well considering how they get abused with wheel cleaner, brake dust etc...

Desertnate
07-06-2017, 07:57 AM
it could be that the flagged bristles are wearing down from frequent use. like pads and microfibers, they run their course and you'll eventually have to replace them...

They are great brushes and I would just consider that normal wear and tear. Toss and replace. Wheels can be nasty and I feel they hold up well considering how they get abused with wheel cleaner, brake dust etc...

Thanks. I've come to the same conclusion. I took a look at the brush again last night and it does appear the soft, flagged ends are mostly gone and I'm now down to the stiffer part of the bristles.

This was the first wheel brush of this type I've ever used and hadn't considered it eventually wearing out. For the price the brush has more than proven to be a good value due to how easy it makes cleaning wheel faces and how long it's heald up.