PDA

View Full Version : "molded-in-color" body panels

Custodian
12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I could not get the response I was looking for in the motorcycle forum. I just purchased an 08 Buell Blast with white plastic body panels, not painted. I have used Meguiars 3 step, Eagle 1 nano, and Turtle T-6 (waxes, washes, and detailers) on our Colorado under different conditions, and use microfiber exclusively for washing and drying/waxing. What do I use on "molded-in-color" plastic panels? The manual states Harley Gloss and Harley Shine; I also checked out the S100 line at the dealership.

lethalxls1
12-11-2007, 12:53 AM
IMO you should be safe using Meguiars wax and car wash on it and even the quick detailer if it needs touched up. If you dont like the results I guess you could always go with the "reccomended" Harley gloss.

Bonifax
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
My black smart car also has plastic body panels, not painted, and I've used whatever product you can imagine on it, Menz polishes, XMT, Megs, and a long etc. with no problems.

Check this (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/10503-few-pics-my-first-detail.html)

TOGWT
12-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Smart car (polybutyleneterphtalate panels:
Daplen ED230HP replaces polycarbonate polybutyleneterphtalate (PCPBT) that traditionally serves in body panels, such as bumpers, side panels, tailgates, and hoods. Smart's pioneering approach to using polypropylene for full body panels is a major step forward for the automotive industry and its suppliers, Daplen ED230HP helped Smart tighten its production process while raising the environmental, aesthetic, and safety performance of its vehicle. The TPO is an in-mass colored compound: Colors are blended into the compound to provide a ready-made base coat. As a result, post-assembly painting steps are reduced with only a painted clear coat layer needed
Novus Polishes (for PCPBT) - http://www.-.com/

Bonifax
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Smart car (polybutyleneterphtalate panels:
Daplen ED230HP replaces polycarbonate polybutyleneterphtalate (PCPBT) that traditionally serves in body panels, such as bumpers, side panels, tailgates, and hoods. Smart's pioneering approach to using polypropylene for full body panels is a major step forward for the automotive industry and its suppliers, Daplen ED230HP helped Smart tighten its production process while raising the environmental, aesthetic, and safety performance of its vehicle. The TPO is an in-mass colored compound: Colors are blended into the compound to provide a ready-made base coat. As a result, post-assembly painting steps are reduced with only a painted clear coat layer needed
Novus Polishes (for PCPBT) - http://www.-.com/

Really interesting info mate, thanx. These colores body panels are really something because they are very resistant to dents.

budman3
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
So is it safe to say these panels are colored plastic that is clear coated (clear paint) so you can treat it just like any other paint with clay, polishes, cleaners and waxes.

Bonifax
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
So is it safe to say these panels are colored plastic that is clear coated (clear paint) so you can treat it just like any other paint with clay, polishes, cleaners and waxes.
Thats right, they can be scratched, they can be polished, waxed, etc. like a regular body panel, the only difference is that due to the natural flexibility of plastic they resist little bumps without denting.