PDA

View Full Version : Rupes mini or flex pe14

Pages : [1] 2

bagged00
07-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Before it's stated yes I know they are 2 totally different machines so just hear me out. I have a 3401 and wanting to add too. I like the idea of how small the mini is for tighter areas obviously. But kind of confused with pads to get. I see rupes compounding pads are falling apart. I hear about polishes that don't do well with it, stalling. So my thought on the pe14 is i can run extensions and smaller pads to get into smaller areas. Obviously it's rotary which brings concerns of holograms and how id get them out since they're in smaller areas? Wanting to buy somethijng by july4th. Opinions needed. Thanks in advanace

Valky
07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
While Mini is a great 3 inches machine, they would never be able to polish on super tight area that require 1-2 inches pad to polish, and since these area is super tiny, finishing them again with red pad and ultrafine finish could make you almost hologram free or super hard to notice any hologram on those area.

By the way, with the area that you can polish with Mini (3 inches area), it's very high posibility that hologram could be notice, depending on your skill as well. I will say you will need both machine to completely cover all the area, but if I need to pick only one I will pick PE14.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the input. The pe14 does seem like it would be more versatile. Right now I could get it for 15 percent off. I've been back and forth between the 2 for the past few days

custmsprty
07-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Do you mean PE8?

If not, you really can't compare a full size rotary to the Rupes Mini.

I have the Rupes Mini and the PE8. I never use the PE8.

I love my Rupes Mini. Also, it doesn't burn up Rupes Pads.

I recently used the new BOSS 3" pads on it too, they are excellent.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Nope talking pe14. I know they're different style machines different sizes. But I'm wanting to use 3" which will fit both and get into kind if harder to reach spots with a full size which would use the extensions on the pe14. Ever considered selling your pe8?

Also I've read quite a few threads saying the rupes mini green and blue pads couldn't take much abuse at all. I just got my menzerna in and also read it didn't play well with menzerna. Just seems a lot of things I read about rupes are that they are picky with all of their machines.

custmsprty
07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Nope talking pe14. I know they're different style machines different sizes. But I'm wanting to use 3" which will fit both and get into kind if harder to reach spots with a full size which would use the extensions on the pe14. Ever considered selling your pe8?

The PE8 is more suited to running smaller pads, 3", 2" etc. that's what it's designed for.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 12:33 PM
The pe14 is capable running 3" pads as well.

Mantilgh
07-02-2017, 01:01 PM
^But the PE8 has a RPM range more suitable for smaller diameter pads. You need a higher RPM with smaller pads.

I know it's a bit more expensive than the other two you mentioned, but have you thought about the Rupes Nano.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Think the nano is out of my price range. Thanks for the info on faster speeds on smaller pads. I've been reading a lot of reviews on the pe8 and people are basically saying get a pe14 over a pe8. With an extension there's really nothing you can't do with an 8 that you can't with a 14. This is why my choice is between a pe14 and a mini.

ducksfan
07-02-2017, 03:01 PM
I have the PE8. I'd rather have the PE14. I'd say get the Mini. From my experience, you'll get more use out of it.

With a 3" pad I don't think there's any doubt the Mini will serve you better. The downside would be 1" and 2" pads which the Mini obviously won't do. To deal with this I plan to get a Nano sometime (When there's a better price option - or not). Until then I'll just use the PE8 for small stuff.

Mantilgh
07-02-2017, 03:07 PM
I feel you on the Nano. It would a cool little tool to have though.

Not that I should be giving advice on rotarys, but the 14 should be safer rotation wise with the smaller pads. As a beginner I doubt you would need or want the max speed of the 8. I be surprised if the pros were using the higher speed settings with the 8 on a regular basis.

The only slight downside I see would be the weight difference.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. If I was to get a 3" rupes what pads are recommended?

dlc95
07-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. If I was to get a 3" rupes what pads are recommended?

I like their pads, but since you're using Menzerna, consider the Lake Country HDO pads. Engineered to work with long stroke machines, and accommodate any variety of polish.

When I use the Rupes, I'm usually sticking to their system. The HDO pads are nice when I want to use something else, even though the Meguiar's stuff I use seems to play nice with Rupes pads, well, at least the blue microfiber, and yellow foam or microfiber.

bagged00
07-02-2017, 07:00 PM
So you generally have a problem with green and blue foam?

dlc95
07-02-2017, 07:06 PM
So you generally have a problem with green and blue foam?

I don't use the green a whole lot.

I've never had a problem while using Rupes compounds with their pads.

I did notice the blue foam wearing faster than the yellow, grey, and white though - but it may have been because I was still learning the system with them.

I was going to use Menzerna with the Rupes, but once I got the hang of their system, I switched. Keramik compared to SF4000 (3500) dusts less, wipes off easier, cuts and finishes as good or better in less time - plus it plays nice with their microfiber pads.