PDA

View Full Version : Removing Lettering From Paint?

bryanviper
07-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Hello,

My friend just bought a used 2009 BMW. I will be doing some paint correction on it but first I wanted some suggestion on how to safely remove the following letters off the paint? I'm wondering if something like Carpro Trix will easily remove it?

Thanks

http://i66.tinypic.com/2n6g6t5.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/ip7h9l.jpg

schambers
07-01-2017, 03:12 PM
If it were me....I would take a hair dryer to it and soften up the adhesive and then try to peel them off....f that was successful...use what ever adhesive remover you have to remove remaining adhesive....then polish it out

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-02-2017, 07:39 AM
/\ Agreed. First heat up the stickers with a heating device. A heat gun works best. After that you can start to pull them away by hand. Get them pretty warm and the residue should pull away with the sticker itself.

For the residue itself you can use a residue remover such as Goo Gone. If you are wanting something from CarPro as you mentioned it would be Tar-X.

After you get the sticker/reside removed you will need to machine compound or polish the paint.

WAXOFF
07-02-2017, 07:56 AM
I recently just did this to a work truck. I used a heat gun and a plastic razor blade then used 3M adhesive remover and wax and tar remover to loosen the left over glure then buffer with Megs D151.

Mike Phillips
07-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Hair dryer and patience.

We shared this tip on our TV show.

Then Tar-X to remove any adhesive residue.

:)

bryanviper
07-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Thanks all will tell my friend.

ducksfan
07-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Just remember, they're telling you to use a hairdryer. If you use a heat gun instead, go slower - as in dial the heat down or hold it further back to start. A hair dryer is a DA; a heat gun is a rotary - it can damage your paint if not used properly.

gspam1
07-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Just remember, they're telling you to use a hairdryer. If you use a heat gun instead, go slower - as in dial the heat down or hold it further back to start. A hair dryer is a DA; a heat gun is a rotary - it can damage your paint if not used properly.

Agree. I have a couple of heat guns but always use a hair dryer when removing stickers from paint or plastic.

coles_paint_correction
07-02-2017, 08:43 PM
I had a bunch i had to do this weekend, my plan of attack was first removing everything and then loosing some of the adhesive and eraser
wheel to get the bulk off but be care full it's a dangerous tool if u haven't practiced with it.

2black1s
07-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Regardless of whatever method you use to remove the lettering, be prepared for the possibility of some "ghosting" left behind that can in many cases be impossible to remove.

Don M
07-03-2017, 04:44 AM
When I removed the rear bowtie from my Camaro (it's black), I let the rear of the car sit in the sun until the paint was uncomfortable to the touch (Not burning hot). Then I used a NEW plastic putty knife (they're sharper when new) and skimmed the emblem right off. About 30 seconds with Meguiar's Ult Compound and a rotary took care of what little adhesive was left.

From THIS:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Megs_FF_5_days.jpg

To THIS:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/no_bowtie.jpg

Desertnate
07-03-2017, 08:31 AM
When I removed the rear bowtie from my Camaro (it's black), I let the rear of the car sit in the sun until the paint was uncomfortable to the touch (Not burning hot). Then I used a NEW plastic putty knife (they're sharper when new) and skimmed the emblem right off. About 30 seconds with Meguiar's Ult Compound and a rotary took care of what little adhesive was left.

Sun is a good substitute for a hair dryer. I think I'd stick to dental floss or fishing line to separate a badge from the body work, but I have used the solar heating method a couple of times. Any dark color car get really hot sitting in the sun and causes the adhesive to get pretty soft. I've de-pinstriped a car with nothing but my fingers and bright overhead sun.