PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Claims Brushes "Can't scratch your vehicle"

Pages : [1] 2

royalkangaroo
06-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Entertaining story I thought I'd share. I used to use a nearby car wash with my old truck that had a drive through brush system (shame on me). Fast forward to my new purchase, a flat black GMC Sierra, I returned to this place and unfortunately let the drive through wash scratch the heck out of my truck.

No harm, no foul. A lazy Saturday with some M205 and my GG6, and we were back to black again.

My dealership right around the corner offers a "free wash" card to this place after service visits. They also have "touchless" bays, so whenever I use my card now, I opt for those.

The last time I went the "manager" tried to tell me the free wash card was only for the brush system. I explained that it scratched my vehicle and he tried to convince me for 15 minutes that it was impossible for that to happen. Even with my photo evidence, he refused to admit that the car wash could do that, but reluctantly programmed the free touchess for me.

The most ironic part is that they run a detail shop out of this car wash! Offering high priced buffing and wax services. Unreal.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/bobmarley2005/IMG_1634_zpsqcjnrdqg.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/bobmarley2005/media/IMG_1634_zpsqcjnrdqg.jpg.html)

Buster906
06-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Yep, good ole scratchless wash

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swanicyouth
06-30-2017, 07:43 PM
^ Ask to see his car & point out the scratches....

PaulMys
06-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Yup. I have one of those "sand your paint off" washes complete with the "Pro detailer" bay by me.

The "Pro's" are guys who just got to the country and want to work. Rotary buffers set face down on the concrete, then back to work. A bucket of wash "rags" in the same dirty water all day, whipping air hoses into the sides of the cars. I've seen it all.

My cousin brings his old Ford plow truck there because well, it's a plow truck. I always ask to go with him to see these "Pro's" at work. Lol

royalkangaroo
06-30-2017, 07:55 PM
^ Ask to see his car & point out the scratches....

Funny you mention that. He claimed his boss (the owner) has a dark blue truck that he runs through once a week with no issues. Really illustrates their detailing credibility... or overall IQ.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-30-2017, 08:18 PM
And that's why we call them the "tunnel of swirls and scratches". Remember, most folks don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl. :)

PaulMys
06-30-2017, 08:24 PM
And that's why we call them the "tunnel of swirls and scratches". Remember, most folks don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl. :)

^^^^Offensive to squirrels^^^^

But true, Paul.

Rsurfer
06-30-2017, 08:39 PM

Or Swirl-O-Matic

Hammer77
06-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Back in the mid 90's I took my work(beater car) to a tunnel wash, broke the drivers side mirror off the door. This manager thinks they don't scratch?

TMQ
06-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Hummm...You could go and grab the manger's door mat, quirt some water on mat and his car---Then start beating the car with the matt.
If he screeches---then point made!

Tom

TMQ
06-30-2017, 11:28 PM
And every time he goes though a tunnel wash hearing the thumping sounds---he'll remember the matt beating on his car!

That should cure a tunnel addict! "Grin"

Tom

dlc95
06-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Hilarious!

I OWNED a tunnel wash, and there were sand particles embedded in the cloth fibers on the 18" rocker panel brushes. They can't fool me on that one!

The cloth is usually a hard felt type of material.

I did polish a car recently that frequents a local was with foam material on their brushes, and that car was in surprisingly great shape. You have to consider the location too. My wash was in mud country, and the other is in the city.

The old washes back in the late 70's and early 80's had bristle brushes. Plastic extrusions that when used with insufficient lubrication would leave a deposit of the extrusion on the paint - leaving a hazy appearance.

The last operator I worked for installed some bristle rocker panel brushes, but was too cheap to run enough water on them. His black Lincoln MKX was massacred by ALL of the brushes in his wash, but those plastic ones really hated up the paint!!

dlc95
06-30-2017, 11:31 PM
Back in the mid 90's I took my work(beater car) to a tunnel wash, broke the drivers side mirror off the door. This manager thinks they don't scratch?

Ha!

Me too! July 3rd, or 5th 1996 I started working at a car wash in Rochester Hills, MI.

I'm toying with the idea of doing it again, with a detail Bay I can play in....

dcjredline
06-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Why are people getting into battles of whit with unarmed people lately on here? That "Manager" and his "pro" detailers know nothing about real detailing. WHY try and argue with them? What does it do for you? YOU and we all, know they are ignorant to what a real detail is so what does it matter? They do them and you come behind them and make money on what they mess up.

Hammer77
06-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Ha!

Me too! July 3rd, or 5th 1996 I started working at a car wash in Rochester Hills, MI.

I'm toying with the idea of doing it again, with a detail Bay I can play in....

Mine was at a Shell station on the corner of Middlebelt and Sibley, 2 miles south of Metro Airport.