PDA

View Full Version : Polishing alumium

jdbillin
06-29-2017, 09:57 PM
So I have a customer who wants an aluminum car trailer polished, its really not in bad shape its only a few years old. Its just bare aluminum theres no coating on it.

My question is what is a good cleaner I can use on this before I do any buffing? I've talked to a few people who have said use a product called toon-brite but I've never used it before.

I booked it for the end of next week to give me some time to research some products and buy them, I already have some pads and compounds for aluminum so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just looking for some product recommendations

Thanks
Jordan

Vegas Transplant
07-01-2017, 10:44 AM
There are tons of products ranging from acid to alkaline cleaners.
Many forum members use the Flitz brand cleaners and pre cleaners. Me myself I'm a big fan of using the degreasers mixed in with the wash bucket. And I am also a fan of mixing my own acid solutions for severely neglected aluminum but never large panels.
Regardless of which product that you choose just remember to spray or add that product to the panel starting at the bottom and working to the top. Save yourself a headache. Try to keep it wet and out of direct sunlight. Do not let it dry. Nothing like streaks in large aluminum panels even if you are going to polish afterwards afterwards.
Happy detailing.

FalconRider
12-15-2017, 02:42 AM
How can we chemically strip off the oxide from aluminium. Especially Old motorcycle engines. They are a pain to polish. If there is any acidic cleaner which can chemically strip the oxide off, it would really ease out the polishing.
Which kind of acids are safe to use on bare aluminium?

DBAILEY
12-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Flitz Industrial Strength Aluminum PreClean is a safe bet from a reputable company