PDA

View Full Version : Leather cleaner and conditioner -- Routine Maintenance Favorites

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
06-28-2017, 08:19 PM
What are your "go to" leather product favorites for routine cleaning and maintenance? I am looking for something I can use monthly or as needed to keep things good and clean (not deep cleaning like you would do with a full detail)?

I bought some D181 leather cleaner to try after having good experience with the megs interior cleaner/detalier.

Have previously used leather masters for deep cleaning cleaning and conditioning with good results.

Thanks,

David

Dr Oldz
06-28-2017, 08:25 PM
I always liked Optimum Protectant Plus for those occasions. Has some light cleaners In it and and leaves the leather with a nice non greasy feel.

mwoywod
06-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Einszett Cockpit is AMAZING!

I'm also testing Mckee's Fast Interior Detailer and it's pretty good too. That said, it seems an awful lot like it's primarily Distilled water and Fragrance where Cockpit is a thicker emulsion that despite still drying completely matte, it does enhance the finish a bit more than the Mckee's product. I am definitely not dismissing the Mckee's product, I just don't have anyway of knowing that it's actually cleaning more than water and it's actually providing UV protection.

Optimum Protectant plus is great but a bit too satin for me so I always have to go back over it with a damp microfiber to try and knock it down some. I wonder if it's dilutable? I might try that. I typically use it on my customers cars rather than my own. It's the best I've found at hiding scuffs and scratches on dark interior plastic panels and it seems to provide the most UV protection of all the interior detailers/protectants I've tried

DSVETS7R
06-28-2017, 09:23 PM
I'll second Cockpit Premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dcjredline
06-28-2017, 09:44 PM
I too like the Meg's 181 or 180 but since receiving a sample of Griots Leather Care Spray I am addicted to the way it turns around slightly dirty leather (haven't tried it on anything bad cause haven't had any in that were trashed) I have had specific comments from 2 of the 3 cars I've touched up the leather on since using GGs awesome spray. AG doesn't carry it at least anymore but I wish they did!

ShaneB
06-29-2017, 12:39 AM
I've come to love poorboys leather stuff. Mostly because it has a very pleasant leather scent. It does seem to help soften up stiff leather as well. My current go to on every job I do that has leather

Desertnate
06-29-2017, 07:47 AM
Right now I'm really liking McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion. I like the fact it cleans and conditions in one step.

DSVETS7R
06-29-2017, 08:52 AM
I also use griots Leather 3-in-1 on my Golf R's Leather seats. The R's seats have a black firm matte finish to them and griots works well with them. Griots Leaves a nice pleasant leather smell which compliments their car fragrance Fine leather.

jkrig
06-29-2017, 10:41 AM
+1 For GG 3-in-1....works great for maintenance cleaning/conditioning and smells good to boot.....

DSVETS7R
06-29-2017, 10:47 AM
There's also leather masters strong cleaner and leather master cream. I plan on trying it on my seats in the near future.

Tempest45
06-29-2017, 01:24 PM
CG leather serum as a primary protectant and maintained with Opticlean.

rouxster
06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Right now I'm really liking McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion. I like the fact it cleans and conditions in one step.

:iagree: I love the leather smell also.

FUNX650
06-29-2017, 02:41 PM
What are your "go to" leather product favorites
for routine cleaning and maintenance?

Have previously used leather masters for
deep cleaning cleaning and conditioning
with good results.

There's also leather masters strong
cleaner and leather master cream.
I plan on trying it on my seats in the
near future.

I still use the Leather Master's line-up
for cleaning and protection of leather.

That way:
My in-between "the deeper cleanings"
basically consist of wipe-downs using
a slightly dampened white cloth.

•Speaking of conditioners:
-I may be wrong, but I don't think Leather
Master's offers any leather conditioners in
their product portfolio (at least I've never
seen any... :dunno: )

-Use of any leather conditioners isn't
part of my detailing leather processes.

Bob

SabbyNJ
06-29-2017, 02:50 PM
McKees Total Interior Cleaner is a solid, easy cleaner.

But for the best, Leatherique.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

RippyD
07-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Another area of detailing where there is a ton of conflicting information. I've tried about 8 different leather products and have a hard time seeing much difference. Even when there is a difference, it doesn't seem to last more than a few weeks. Recently tried Leatherique - meh. Seems line a lot of other products, but is far more time consuming. The seat feels a little softer and sort of waxy (not sticky at all). I get similar results with DG Leather Conditioner and probably any other oil-based conditioning product. Leatherique is described in the MSDS as "inedible animal fat." It's almost certainly mink oil, similar to a lot of other leather products.

Side by side (which I just did), I really can't tell the difference between any of the oil-based products provided that I let them all stay on the leather for a similar amounts of time. And in a couple of weeks I likely won't see any difference between the leather I treated for 8 hours and covered with Saran wrap and the one I where I just use a conditioner/cleaner. Can report back and let people know.

Biggest factor seems to be keeping the leather clean regularly.