PDA

View Full Version : First full job using my XFE7

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaveT435
06-27-2017, 03:18 PM
First full job using my XFE7

Not a great experience.

I detail as a hobby. When I detail other people's vehicles I collect very little over the cost of products. So when I have to pay for a panel respray because a brand new tool breaks it doesn't make me very happy.

Other than a 15-20 minute test this is the first full job I was using this machine on.

The 6" backing plate broke and I ended up gouging the paint. Knowing the 90% of the time you have these types of failure it's cut to heat the first thing I did was put my hand flat on what was left of the backing plate. It was warm, but I had no problem keeping my hand on it.

Of course I'm sure Flex isn't going to do anything and I understand that, they weren't here when it happened so there is no way they could know for sure, unless there there is a history of this problem.

Well I bought this machine and a Rupes 15 Mark II with plans to keep the one I like best. Guess I know which one I'll be selling.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Broke_BP_01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Broke_BP_02.jpg

:dunno:

Angus
06-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Whoa. That's not good. Sorry man. Seeing this makes me a little nervous using my XFE-7 now...

Kamakaz1961
06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Ouch! Sorry to see this!

DaveT435
06-27-2017, 03:45 PM
I love the machine, especially the size and how quiet it runs. But this is unacceptable. Maybe Flex has a way to determine what caused it?? I haven't been on here much to know if others have been having this problem.

B5visser
06-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Man this is rough. I have had mine for a couple months now and done about 4 full cut/polish jobs, as well as a number of "polish only" sessions. Many times the machine is around speed 4-5, sometimes as high as 6. I run a 5" BP. DaveT435, your initial review actually helped me make my decision to go XFE (and the fact that it matched my 3401 and PE14 :))

Whoa. That's not good. Sorry man. Seeing this makes me a little nervous using my XFE-7 now...

I honestly wouldn't worry about catastrophic failure. My wife drove a (reliable) Mazda 3 for about three years, when out of the blue, BOOM- piston through the engine block. The XFE is an awesome tool- its just hard to see people having problems with the first generation, and now gen 2. Seems like many of the tools are still functioning great. Love to see some more people (with more hours on these) chime in as well!

Marc08EX
06-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Ouch... Sorry to hear that David. Sucks it happened on your first use.

DaveT435
06-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Any manufactured product is going to have a percentage of defects, it's unavoidable. I assume Flex's percentage is extremely low. There is a lot I like about this machine. You don't really appreciate the quietness until you plug a Rupes in immediately after using the XFE7.

Dan K
06-27-2017, 05:12 PM
I've had my 3401 and PE14 for several years now. Because of their quality and durability I am a fan of Flex products. I have been interested in the XFE7 since last year and have been contemplating adding it to my collection since I do not own a large throw polisher. I will not be considering it anymore because of the issues with the XFE7 since it was first introduced and then reintroduced in its current inception. I would either purchase a Rupes or Griot's instead. It appears that there are issues at Flex with the XFE and also the XCE taking so long to be produced/released.

JeffM
06-27-2017, 05:16 PM
The original versions of the xfe had a defect. Lots of peoples broke, with no word on the forums for a recall on them either...

custmsprty
06-27-2017, 05:34 PM
I find it interesting that it appears their is no representative from Flex frequenting the forum.

cleanmycorolla
06-27-2017, 05:54 PM
The original versions of the xfe had a defect. Lots of peoples broke, with no word on the forums for a recall on them either...

for real? wow, thats kind of absurd....and people give the Rules dudes crap.

custmsprty
06-27-2017, 06:09 PM

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Or Griots..... remember when they came out with the BOSS system and all the hate spewed on the forum because it was made in China.
Yet Flex had to come out with a free spinning da because of Rupes and Griot's and all the other free spinning da's out there. They were missing out on that entire market.

cleanmycorolla
06-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Ugh iPhone, meant Rupes not Rules

Mike@ShineStruck
06-27-2017, 09:34 PM
reason why I won't buy the 12mm mini when it comes out..nor will i consider this again till they re release as version 3...this is pretty sad

VISITOR
06-27-2017, 09:57 PM
sorry to hear about that incident :( . i wonder why they didn't use a one bolt backing plate like the rest of the long throw DA's out ...