PDA

View Full Version : Chrome trim help

SCsailor
06-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Hey guys- this is my first post, but I've been reading the forums for some time. I have an 8. Month old Volvo XC90 with chrome trim around the windows. It has developed a patchy discoloration. Here is a picture. I've tried soap and I've tried metal polish, no dice. Any ideas??https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170627/fd897d6f585bc9dfb02ef684b058fdd4.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briarpatch
06-27-2017, 11:28 AM
If it's 8 months old....take it back to the dealer

Kamakaz1961
06-27-2017, 12:05 PM
IMO that does not look good. It might be beyond repair. Kind of like clear coat failure. That being said, you might want to try a chrome polish or at least a polish like SF4500 or equivalent.

evo77
06-27-2017, 12:10 PM
^^ I agree. Its easier to get a brand new piece from the dealer than to bother wasting time repairing it.

Its not metal its plastic with a clear coat or sometimes a clear film covering it. Its hard to really say the cause.

Could be the clear top coat failed and allowed water to penetrate underneath and erode the chromium layer. Based on the jaggedness of the chrome separation that's what it looks more like instead of something that stained the top.

My 2 cents at least...

rlmccarty2000
06-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Take it back. You shouldn't get much push back from the dealer. The car is too new to develop this type of problem.

PaulMys
06-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Take it back. You shouldn't get much push back from the dealer. The car is too new to develop this type of problem.

^^^This^^^

Yeah, that's a piece of "chrome" plated plastic that has failed. Shame on Volvo for that.

Oh, and do not tell the dealer that you used any kind of special product on it. Some shady dealers will turn it around on you, and say you caused it. Just my opinion.

briarpatch
07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
^^^This^^^

Yeah, that's a piece of "chrome" plated plastic that has failed. Shame on Volvo for that.

Oh, and do not tell the dealer that you used any kind of special product on it. Some shady dealers will turn it around on you, and say you caused it. Just my opinion.

what he said......dealers will do anything to avoid covering something under warranty

SCsailor
07-07-2017, 12:17 PM
After some minor hassle, it is being replaced under warranty. Thanks for the input guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk