PDA

View Full Version : Freshly repaired wheels

Y2KSVT
06-26-2017, 10:38 PM
I'm taking my wife and kids on a small trip, and when we get back I'll finally detail the car I bought last April. In preparation, I had a dent pulled that came with the car, and just today I had some rock chips in the painted wheels, repaired. There were enough chips in one wheel that they pretty much refinished the entire thing. I confirmed that regardless of spot repairs or full refinishing, they do clear coat the repaired areas.

My question to you all, is whether I can safely Iron-X and/or wheel coat those two wheels, or do I need to allow more time for them to cure?

Thanks!

Y2KSVT
06-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Any thoughts? Or maybe I'll take silence to mean I should play it safe and not spray any chemicals on the wheels or use the McKee's 37 Wheel Coating until they've had time to cure....

Paul A.
06-27-2017, 10:57 AM
My question would be what did they use for paint and clearcoat on the wheels. If it were me I would most likely want to wait a bit much like a freshly repaired and painted panel or section on the regular paint. Basically, I would want to play it safe and not close anything in that needs to yet fully cure.

I would also want to ask the repair/repaint person that did the work. They may or may not be able to provide any specific guidance and if lacking that info, I would play it safe and wait.

Y2KSVT
06-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Paul! That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if (or why) wheel painting was any different than body paint. I know I wouldn't wax/seal a freshly painted bumper, so I assumed the same for wheels, but I'm excited to use two products I've never used before and I guess just needed someone to keep me in check, so thank you!

To answer your question, I don't know what he used. A valet company over in Chicago curbed one of my wheels, two months after I bought the car. This same guy did the repair on that wheel and did an excellent job. Perfectly matched the paint and you still can't tell where the repair was done. I have all the confidence in the world that these will hold up, but I don't want to test it. I'll just plan to pull the wheels later this summer and give them a thorough cleaning and coating.

BillyJack
06-27-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm in the car business and use a few vendors that do wheel repair. Unlike a body shop doing collision repairs, where the paint is often baked, the wheel guys just air dry. We've all heard about the 30-90 day window before waxing or coating. With air-dried paints, regardless of the paint type, I'd go to the long end of that range.

Bill

Y2KSVT
06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
You're probably right. The shop closes before I'm able to get there, so he parked the car outside with my key in a locked box, where he gave me the combination. It definitely rained pretty good, but from what I can tell the paint/clear was unaffected by it. I guess I'll wait until early fall to coat them. Just in time for winter, so there IS a silver lining!

Crispy
06-27-2017, 09:09 PM
I have painted my wheels lots of times.

They are air dried, not baked (hard on tires).

I sand, compound and polish next day.

I don't seal for 30 days.

Mine are rotated summer and winter so I do in off season so no road rage.

If the wheels are on the car you are going to get dirt and brake dust,so I would move the refinished wheel to the rear of the car.

Less dirt and brake dust.

Clean with APC and do it often.

Iron X will not harm new paint if used as per directions.

After 30 days I seal and wax.

Cleaning is then ONR and regular washes.

Mike Phillips
06-28-2017, 09:01 AM
We've all heard about the 30-90 day window before waxing or coating.

With air-dried paints, regardless of the paint type, I'd go to the long end of that range.

Bill

I agree with this...

Give the paint some time to fully dry, harden and shift before spraying any chemicals onto it.

:)