PDA

View Full Version : Washing in the sun

Pages : [1] 2

bagged00
06-26-2017, 12:23 PM
So I'm trying to start up a mobile detail business. I already do some side work with paint corrections but I'm wanting to get more into it with just trying to wash clay wax interior etc. So my question, I live in the south east where it's generally low 90s through out the day. If I need to wash multiple vehicles in 1 day at different locations, how do I go about doing that? I generally wash my personal vehicles when the sun is going down. That's not an option if I want to wash a few in a day. Any help osngreatly apprecoated. Thanks in adavance.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Welcome to AGO! I'm assuming you're using sun-safe soaps and other products? You'll want to make sure your wash is one continuous wash, meaning, start with wheels, rinse wheels. Rinse entire vehicle, and agitate entire vehicle using sun-safe products. Do not go one panel to panel, meaning don't wash/rinse, wash/rinse... Wash the entire vehicle using sun-safe soap, then rinse entire vehicle and start with a Gold Plush Guzzler towels and dry the horizontal panels first, then side panels.
You should use a dying agent such as McKee's N914 in a waterless wash solution (spray bottle) to add lubricity to the towels and the vehicle.

It's doable, you just have to work fast and smart.

Kamakaz1961
06-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Welcome to AGO. I am wondering if you can get a portable pop up tent that could cover the vehicle. Like the types used in Swap Meets. I wish you nothing but success on your ventures!! PS: Welcome to AGO!

Cruzscarwash
06-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Rinseless is you friend, and you will need to learn to adjust all your products especially dilution ratios to your environment. I work in 💯 plus degree weather everyday and do everything from washes to full corrections in direct hot hot sunlight

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

bagged00
06-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I am new to autogeek as a poster but have always been a lerker for a few years lol. I currently use Adams car shampoo which I know is ph balanced. I've tried to wash a whole vehicle before and noticed after I dried it the soap streaks which didn't go away without polishing. I've never been one to use rinseless washnor waterless wash but that's definitely something i will look into

Cruzscarwash
06-26-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm at the point where if I want to foam I have to do it one panel at a time or use a pump foamer. Besides that I have to rinseless wash which your going to do after the foam regardless

HockeyCrazi
06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm not a professional, but I maintain my family's cars as well as my own and I have a pop up tent that I use when I'm washing during the day. It's a 10x10, doesn't cover the whole car, but I usually do about half the car, then turn it around to let the other side cool down. I have a side shade with mine so really mine is covering about 3/4 of the car, so I plan accordingly. Doing only rinseless washes. Not only will this help keep the car cool, but will help keep you cool as well so you don't get worn out too quickly. Hope this helps, good luck on your new business.

bagged00
06-26-2017, 02:40 PM
So do you guys do rinseless wash on a regular basis instead of a traditional wash? I've just never really liked idea of washing the car without soap.

HockeyCrazi
06-26-2017, 03:49 PM
So do you guys do rinseless wash on a regular basis instead of a traditional wash? I've just never really liked idea of washing the car without soap.

To my understanding, a rinseless wash is soap, it's just doesn't create suds that need to be rinsed off. You can still do the same 2-bucket method with a rinseless wash, I mostly use about 2-3 gallons of water with a grit guard in a single bucket, then transfer the water to a "wheel bucket" and do the wheels last. There's a lot of good videos out there showing a couple different techniques on rinseless washing. I'd watch some videos to see if it's something that you may benefit from. Here's a link to Autogeek's new video on rinseless washing, this is the new Griot's Garage product, I personally use Optimum No Rinse (ONR), but I'm sure if it's a product on Autogeek then it's a quality product.

HockeyCrazi
06-26-2017, 03:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkaLTk5L3g

Forgot the link

AKT
07-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Rinseless is you friend, and you will need to learn to adjust all your products especially dilution ratios to your environment. I work in [emoji817] plus degree weather everyday and do everything from washes to full corrections in direct hot hot sunlight

Hi there!

Have you experienced rinseless products drying up on the paint? I am asking because I am planning to use the following method using rinseless:
1) pre-soak if needed
2) first wipe whole vehicle with towel wet with rinseless solution
3) second wipe per panel with towel damp with rinseless solution
4) dry per panel

I am a little worried that the rinseless solution will dry up in the paint while doing step 3.

TIA

Cruzscarwash
07-11-2017, 08:58 AM
I don't see it taking you more then a few seconds to do the panel, I have had it dry but it will normally he resolved by re wiping or a qd

Mantilgh
07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
AKT,

Yes, it will most likely dry between step 2 and 3, but typically the re-wetting with step 3 will remove it.

This may depend on the product and ratio used, and the condition of the water it is mixed with.

AKT
07-11-2017, 09:26 AM
AKT,

Yes, it will most likely dry between step 2 and 3, but typically the re-wetting with step 3 will remove it.

This may depend on the product and ratio used, and the condition of the water it is mixed with.

We basically have a very high mineral content in our place (i believe it is called "hard water"). So i am planning to use 2 oz of ONR with 3 gallons of water (instead of 1.5 oz).

My 1st time order of ONR is yet to arrive so i did a little experimenting with meguiars wash and wax anywhere. It is a waterless wash but i diluted it 1:50 to use it as rinseless. There were water spots between step 2 and 3 that were removed by step 3, but needed a little elbow grease. So i am wondering if the same will happen if i use ONR.

Cruzscarwash
07-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Well we're I live my water is on the high end of the hard water scale and I don't have issues with it. You should be fine, like I said if it dries just re wet and wipe

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk