PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Procedure

hk97f2930
06-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi all

I am new to do car caring for my second hard car. Lsat year i just use "TURTLE WAX HIGH SHINE CAR WASH".
The paint condition is indeed fair. But i want to do some car cares and would like to know if my work plan is correct.

My plan is:
1. Wash car with Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba (http://www.autogeek.net/rinseless-car-wash-with-carnauba.html)
2. Use Carpro TRIX to remove tar/brake dust
3. Meguiars clay
3. Meguiars Ultimate Compound(for only serious swirl)
4. Meguiars Ultimate polish
5. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax
6. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal (http://www.autogeek.net/spray-on-paint-sealant.html)

Please advise if my work procedure is correct.

Thanks a lot!

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Hi all

I am new to do car caring for my second hard car. Lsat year i just use "TURTLE WAX HIGH SHINE CAR WASH".
The paint condition is indeed fair. But i want to do some car cares and would like to know if my work plan is correct.

My plan is:
1. Wash car with Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba (http://www.autogeek.net/rinseless-car-wash-with-carnauba.html)
2. Use Carpro TRIX to remove tar/brake dust
3. Meguiars clay
3. Meguiars Ultimate Compound(for only serious swirl)
4. Meguiars Ultimate polish
5. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax
6. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal (http://www.autogeek.net/spray-on-paint-sealant.html)

Please advise if my work procedure is correct.

Thanks a lot!

The above is actually a pretty normal process for a complete, multiple step paint correction with one exception.

Step 6 is redundant.

You really only need one application of a wax or sealant to seal the paint.

Maybe use the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal for maintenance down the road.

:)

hk97f2930
06-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your advice
There are another questions I want to ask:
1. Do I need any pre-polisher?
2. Some people use IPA cleaner before wax? Do I need to?
3. As you mention step 6 is redundant, any other product that can seal the Car so that the wax can last longer?

Thanks

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your advice

There are another questions I want to ask:

1. Do I need any pre-polisher?

No. Anytime you compound - the compound will remove everything currently on the paint.

2. Some people use IPA cleaner before wax? Do I need to?

When it comes to that advice, a lot of people are wrong. The answer is "no" not when using car waxes and synthetic sealants.

Read this...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

3. As you mention step 6 is redundant, any other product that can seal the Car so that the wax can last longer?

Thanks

The idea is to do a GREAT job of applying this initial coat of wax and then wash the car CAREFULLY so as to not war off the wax or put swirls and scratches back into the paint.

Read this,

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103632-how-wash-coated-car-gentle-approach-washing-car-mike-phillips.html)

If you wash carefully then you can simply re-wax on a regular basis instead of trying to apply something that will somehow last forever (or a long time)

Get a routine down where you can quickly and easily slap a coat of wax on the horizontal surfaces, hood, roof and trunk lid. This will keep you car looking great while keeping it protected.

Do it every 2-3 months and you'll get better overall results than trying to apply something to seal the paint for long periods of time.

hk97f2930
06-26-2017, 09:49 AM
1. Do you think Carpro TRIX will too aggressive if i spray too much for the sake of cleaning power?
2. Wash car first? or using Carpro TRIX first? or no difference?
3. After liquid wax, is it good to apply Ultimate quik detailer?
4. Evert time i wash the car, how to i "take care" of it? just quik detailer?
5. How to make use of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal? What do you mean "Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal for maintenance down the road."?
6. How can i simply re-wax on a regular basis?

Sorry for many questions.
Thanks!!!

hk97f2930
06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Add one more:
7. After Ultimate Polish, do you have any recommendation(product) for adding shiny/glossy before waxing?

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 10:55 AM
1. Do you think Carpro TRIX will too aggressive if i spray too much for the sake of cleaning power?

No. It's a very safe and effective product.

2. Wash car first? or using Carpro TRIX first? or no difference?

Use the CarPro TRIX first using old microfiber towels or even paper towels because you're going to probably throw them away when done as tar is nasty stuff to try to wash out of a good towel.

If you don't remove the tar first you'll get it on your wash mitt and ruin your wash mitt.

3. After liquid wax, is it good to apply Ultimate quik detailer?

No, not really. Apply the wax using a thin coat. Allow it to fully dry and then carefully wipe it off. Leave the car alone now and allow whatever magic is in the wax do it' thing on the paint.

The more you "wipe" the paint after wiping the wax off the more you wipe the wax you just applied, (what was left behind on the surface), off the paint.

Stop touching the paint after wipe-off.

4. Evert time i wash the car, how to i "take care" of it? just quik detailer?

After you wash and dry the car use a spray-on wax to buzz over the horizontal panels and restore that Just-waxed-look.

This one works great and is very easy to use.

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92441-review-new-blackfire-midnight-sun-carnauba-spray-wax.html)

5. How to make use of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal? What do you mean "Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal for maintenance down the road."?

This is a spray on sealant. Since you already have it, use it instead of the Backfire spray wax I shared above. It's just you don't want to try to spray it ON TOP of the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Use one or the other but not both.

6. How can i simply re-wax on a regular basis?

Use a one-step cleaner/wax and apply using a soft foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher. That's how I do it for my truck.

7. After Ultimate Polish, do you have any recommendation(product) for adding shiny/glossy before waxing?

The Ultimate Polish IS the step that adds the shine and gloss.

hk97f2930
06-27-2017, 01:57 AM
No. It's a very safe and effective product.

Use the CarPro TRIX first using old microfiber towels or even paper towels because you're going to probably throw them away when done as tar is nasty stuff to try to wash out of a good towel.

If you don't remove the tar first you'll get it on your wash mitt and ruin your wash mitt.

No, not really. Apply the wax using a thin coat. Allow it to fully dry and then carefully wipe it off. Leave the car alone now and allow whatever magic is in the wax do it' thing on the paint.

The more you "wipe" the paint after wiping the wax off the more you wipe the wax you just applied, (what was left behind on the surface), off the paint.

Stop touching the paint after wipe-off.

After you wash and dry the car use a spray-on wax to buzz over the horizontal panels and restore that Just-waxed-look.

This one works great and is very easy to use.

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92441-review-new-blackfire-midnight-sun-carnauba-spray-wax.html)

This is a spray on sealant. Since you already have it, use it instead of the Backfire spray wax I shared above. It's just you don't want to try to spray it ON TOP of the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Use one or the other but not both.

Use a one-step cleaner/wax and apply using a soft foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher. That's how I do it for my truck.

The Ultimate Polish IS the step that adds the shine and gloss.

Would you explain No.6 more? So every time after i use Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba washing my car, i have to apply the Spray Wax you mentioned then okay?

Mike Phillips
06-27-2017, 05:55 AM
Would you explain No.6 more? So every time after i use Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba washing my car, i have to apply the Spray Wax you mentioned then okay?

No, not at all.

How often you wax your car is up to you and your personal taste.

After the initial detailing session you can let her go until you decide to do it again. If you want your car to look like you just detailed it then do "something" more often.

Here's the deal... once you get your car's finish back up to polished and waxed, you know - it looks great! Then after washing and drying, it's fast and easy to "do something" because the paint is in excellent condition.

A spray-on wax will do squat for neglected paint. It won't feel good wiping on, it won't stick to the paint and it certainly won't look good.

But a spray-on wax will do something for paint in excellent condition, it will maintain the high gloss appearance - and it's fast and easy.

It's up to you and how you want your car to look.

When I drove into work this morning, looking around and the majority of the daily driver, grocery getter mundane new cars on the road, I would say that most people consider their car to be nothing more than "transportation" and don't really care how they look.

In my first how-to book in the introduction I state that most people view their car as transportation while others view their car as an extension of their personality.

People that love their car and view it as more than transportation are more likely to wash and dry their car often and then after drying it do "something" to it.

So it's up to you.

After I wash my wife's car, I hit the paint with either the PBL Detailer or the PBL Booster because

A: It's fast and easy - I already invested the time in the initial detail session to perfect the paint.

B: it maintains the coating so the car washes and drives as fast as humanly possible.

C: It maintains the super glassy look, which I like for a fairly hot car under the Mercedes marque.

That's my personal preference.

You? You can do your detail session and then down the road when the car is dirty, wash it and dry it and then stick a fork in it and call it done. It's up to you. I merely shared a spray on wax for maintenance purposes that's fast and easy to sue, makes the paint glossy and makes the paint feel slick and these are things people like for their car's paint, gloss and slickness.

I don't use the BLACKFIRE spray-on wax on the wife's car because it has a ceramic coating on it. I do use it on my truck because I use "wax" on my truck.

Hope the above helps....

hk97f2930
06-27-2017, 06:26 AM
No, not at all.

How often you wax your car is up to you and your personal taste.

After the initial detailing session you can let her go until you decide to do it again. If you want your car to look like you just detailed it then do "something" more often.

Here's the deal... once you get your car's finish back up to polished and waxed, you know - it looks great! Then after washing and drying, it's fast and easy to "do something" because the paint is in excellent condition.

A spray-on wax will do squat for neglected paint. It won't feel good wiping on, it won't stick to the paint and it certainly won't look good.

But a spray-on wax will do something for paint in excellent condition, it will maintain the high gloss appearance - and it's fast and easy.

It's up to you and how you want your car to look.

When I drove into work this morning, looking around and the majority of the daily driver, grocery getter mundane new cars on the road, I would say that most people consider their car to be nothing more than "transportation" and don't really care how they look.

In my first how-to book in the introduction I state that most people view their car as transportation while others view their car as an extension of their personality.

People that love their car and view it as more than transportation are more likely to wash and dry their car often and then after drying it do "something" to it.

So it's up to you.

After I wash my wife's car, I hit the paint with either the PBL Detailer or the PBL Booster because

A: It's fast and easy - I already invested the time in the initial detail session to perfect the paint.

B: it maintains the coating so the car washes and drives as fast as humanly possible.

C: It maintains the super glassy look, which I like for a fairly hot car under the Mercedes marque.

That's my personal preference.

You? You can do your detail session and then down the road when the car is dirty, wash it and dry it and then stick a fork in it and call it done. It's up to you. I merely shared a spray on wax for maintenance purposes that's fast and easy to sue, makes the paint glossy and makes the paint feel slick and these are things people like for their car's paint, gloss and slickness.

I don't use the BLACKFIRE spray-on wax on the wife's car because it has a ceramic coating on it. I do use it on my truck because I use "wax" on my truck.

Hope the above helps....

May i know if my understanding is correct:

1. As i do all the clay, polish ,the car paint is now in good condition. Then apply wax to protect it.
2. Every time i wash my car, i remove the dust,etc. As the car paint is still in good condition, i just need to add back the wax loosen during washing by spray wax,etc.
3. If i keep wash my car regularly and apply spray wax afterward, the car paint should be still in good condition.
4. After a period of time, if the wax is loosen, and car paint is hurt, i have to clay, polish again and apply wax.

hk97f2930
06-29-2017, 04:35 AM
One more.
If sealant/coating last much longer than usual wax, why does wax still exist and not replaced by them?