PDA

View Full Version : What can I top HD Speed with?

Pages : [1] 2

fotomatt1
06-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Was all set to do a two step correction yesterday on my pearl white 2017 Subaru Forester XT. Unfortunately my wife was out and my 3 year old daughter had enough playing outside by the time I washed, clayed and iron-x'd so I needed to do something quick. Did one pass with HD Speed so I was protected. Car actually looks great...white tends to show minimal defects anyway. I find that the sealant in HD Speed doesn't last that long. What, if anything can I top it with? I have PNS which I think is a no-no over anything, and I also have Colinite 845, Prima Epic and Prima Banana Gloss. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2017, 11:07 AM
HD POXY would be ideal, but the others you have(with the exception of PNS) would be fine.

idriveblackcars
06-25-2017, 11:11 AM
I think the main reason why the protection aspect of HD speed is short lived is because most people don't follow the directions. Totally not saying this is your case but it does say to move the machine very very slow.

I find most detailers blast through a car using speed well because time is money. But is the product really getting a good chance to lay down a sealant after the abrasives have desolved?

The thought process is well a two step takes too much time so let me rush through a car using speed and go as fast as possible. It's that last part the protection part that suffers imo.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I think the main reason why the protection aspect of HD speed is short lived is because most people don't follow the directions. Totally not saying this is your case but it does say to move the machine very very slow.

I find most detailers blast through a car using speed well because time is money. But is the product really getting a good chance to lay down a sealant after the abrasives have desolved?

The thought process is well a two step takes too much time so let me rushthrough a car using speed and go as fast as possible. It's that last part the protection part that suffers imo.
I respectfully disagree. Speed uses non diminishing abrasives, so they never really dissolve or break down. Even if they did break down, the protection in SPEED doesn't suddenly appear after that has happened. It's being laid down the second you start polishing. Do you move the polisher very slowly when applying a pure wax? Nope. Same idea. You move the polisher slowly for removing defects. One could argue the protection of SPEED could be longer if it's left to sit a bit before wiping off.

idriveblackcars
06-25-2017, 11:31 AM
I respectfully disagree. Speed uses non diminishing abrasives, so they never really dissolve or break down. Even if they did break down, the protection in SPEED doesn't suddenly appear after that has happened. It's being laid down the second you start polishing. Do you move the polisher very slowly when applying a pure wax? Nope. Same idea. You move the polisher slowly for removing defects. One could argue the protection of SPEED could be longer if it's left to sit a bit before wiping off.

I'm just going by the directions on the bottle. I'm no pro but some of you guys are using it wrong imo. Just ssyin

Edit: and technically your comparison isn't apples to apples.

adamgayton81
06-25-2017, 02:04 PM
I typically let Speed dwell on the car while I finish polishing the rest of it. I start with slow passes and heavier pressure (Rupes speed 3-4) to remove the defects then speed up my passes with only the weight of the Rupes (still on speed setting 3-4).

This method has proven to provide 3 months of protective beading still today (my black Sapphire Metallic BMW is the test dummy I've been watching).

By letting Speed dwell on the paint while I finish the rest of the car has been an effective method for me. It's still easily wiped off afterwards too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

custmsprty
06-25-2017, 02:20 PM
What he said ^^^^^^^

And you can top with Poxy, it's a great deal @ $14.99!!!

3D HD Poxy - Montan Wax & Sealant NEW LOOK! (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-hd-poxy.html)

Speed and Poxy:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/20150502_134735_zpstmkx1vwd.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/20150502_134735_zpstmkx1vwd.jpg.html)

fly07sti
06-25-2017, 02:37 PM
From what you have on hand, I'd prob go with Prima Banana. It may help hide any small defects that are left over. But ideally I'd say Poxy, but lately I have been using Meg's UFF and loving it.

FUNX650
06-25-2017, 02:57 PM
•Since you already have it...
I'll suggest the Prima Epic:

-Nothing hardly better than
a Synthetic Wax over top of
an AIO/Cleaner-Sealant, IMO.

Bob

AZpolisher15
06-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish would serve your needs. Easy, quick, and good durability.

silverfox
06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Leaving speed on the paint for at least 20 minutes substantially increases the longevity. Never ever wipe it right off after you finish a section.

WillSports3
06-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Rhetorical question. Couldn't you just put two dots of poxy on your pad with speed on it so after you finish, it's got both in the paint? I've put fine polishes and liquid wax/sealant on at the same time.

DetailKitty
06-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Another vote for Poxy. Speed and Poxy are made to go together and you will get the longest life out of using both.

mikejames
06-25-2017, 11:47 PM
As others have said HD Poxy after using Speed is a great combo, well worth ordering it.

Artisan Detailing
06-26-2017, 12:28 AM
The bottle says to use a medium cut foam pad and then
A second coat with a finishing pad with HD speed, so only one bottle but
A couple different pads. I've never tried that. Proxy
Works great tho, I've done that many times. Anyone tried a finishing pad with HD speed after using a cutting pad with it?