PDA

View Full Version : Now What? Cloudy Spots!

Pages : [1] 2

philipjadler
06-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Well my woefull detailing saga goes like this...

A week ago I washed, clayed by hand, and waxed the car using Meguliar's Ultimate Liquid Wax,
stepped back after a full 2 days of hard work and admired what I had done.

Took the car out on a road trip, with some rain involved and watched the drops bead off the car.
Looked great, until..

I covered the car yesterday as we were and had a number of heavy rainstorm overnight.
When I took off the cover, These spots are what I found on the hood.

Whatever the reason for being (softened the clearcoat, didn't seal before waxing, my ineptitude
on trying to obtain perfection, etc.), I'm glad the neighbors didn't hear the expletives
I let out upon this unfortunate discovery.

Any ideas on how to remedy this, with/without polishing the whole car?

Paul A.
06-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Get a hair dryer and try to blow dry the spots. My guess is moisture trapped in by the cover and a blow dry might help.

Bobby B.
06-24-2017, 12:44 PM
What kind of car cover are you using? It looks like it's not breathable and is trapping moisture.

philipjadler
06-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Bobby, yes it's breathable [as is all to a point]. I mean we've had a couple of true deluges here lately.
I will give the hairdryer a try.

Eric@CherryOnTop
06-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Yet another reason to not use car covers....

philipjadler
06-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Ok, here's what's happened over the last two hours,

Some of the hazy areas have cleared but where they were located are some areas that are heavily pitted, very tiny pits.
There is one spot, photo shows that remains hazy, also with pits, but is refusing to dry.

Oxidation?

What can I use to remove the pits that remain. Polish?

Thanks for the help!

ronkh57
06-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Some of the hazy areas have cleared but where they were located are some areas that are heavily pitted, very tiny pits.
There is one spot, photo shows that remains hazy, also with pits, but is refusing to dry.

Oxidation?

Thanks for the help!

If there are pits... The moisture might have gotten under the clear coat.

Sounds like you will need repaint soon.

philipjadler
06-24-2017, 02:32 PM
I have the Menzerna Intro Kit. If I polish the hood by hand, and then wax and seal, would that help?

ronkh57
06-24-2017, 03:01 PM
I have the Menzerna Intro Kit. If I polish the hood by hand, and then wax and seal, would that help?

The wax may buy you some time. Might also get some wax residue spots in the pits.

philipjadler
06-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Hey ronkh57, I'm looking for some constructive info on how to resolve this issue. Gloom and doom one-liners are not what is needed here. Where are all the pro's? I've gone over every single blog related to this topic.

I guess all you AutoGeek experts took off for the weekend and went to the beach!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Hey ronkh57, I'm looking for some constructive info on how to resolve this issue. Gloom and doom one-liners are not what is needed here. Where are all the pro's? I've gone over every single blog related to this topic.

I guess all you AutoGeek experts took off for the weekend and went to the beach!

Nobody is giving you "Gloom & doom one-liners". Especially Ron. That is not his style, and neither is it the style of any other serious member on here.

Being a smart ass, demanding instant answers, and suggesting that "the pros took the weekend off" is not only condescending, it will surely turn the "pros" off from answering your question.

ronkh57
06-24-2017, 07:52 PM

You're very welcome.

Have a nice evening.

If it is "pits" as you say, you're cure is a repaint (in my hack opinion)

ronkh57
06-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Nobody is giving you "Gloom & doom one-liners". Especially Ron. That is not his style, and neither is it the style of any other serious member on here.

Being a smart ass, demanding instant answers, and suggesting that "the pros took the weekend off" is not only condescending, it will surely turn the "pros" off from answering your question.

Thanks Paul

FUNX650
06-24-2017, 08:51 PM
I have the Menzerna Intro Kit.
If I polish the hood by hand,
and then wax and seal,
would that help?
I'd allow the remainder of the
moisture to evacuate the paint
system's matrix before using the
above products---Those products
will not only seal out contaminates
(including moisture), but will also,
in effect, seal in any entrapments.

•A suggestion:
-Try applying some Isopropyl Alcohol
on a soft cloth and gently wipe the
effected areas. Then..Let the areas
air dry, while the vehicle's parked
out in the Sun.

•Just a thought in passing:
-Have you taken a peek under that
front end cover/bra lately...some
moisture may also have become
trapped underneath that accessory.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_30991.JPG

Bob

fightnews
06-25-2017, 03:07 AM

Oxidation?

Thanks for the help!

That doesn't look to good? what do you mean by "trying to achieve perfection"? Did you compound and polish the living hell out of it?