PDA

View Full Version : Mckee's aerosol trim detailer, what about the over spray?

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
06-24-2017, 09:05 AM
I played around with it last week, How do you stop the aerosol spray from getting on the paint? I was thinking of holding up a piece of cardboard to stop the over-spray from hitting the paint. What do you guys do/recommend?

vobro
06-24-2017, 09:13 AM
I just use that when I need to spruce up an area I can't reach, it has wiped off the paint very easily. Obviously apply when there's no wind

PA DETAILER
06-24-2017, 09:16 AM
That's the drawback of any aerosol product. You can tape off that area or your cardboard idea is ok. I usually keep a damp MF towel close by and wipe off any overspray. If at all possible, do it inside of a garage.

Eldorado2k
06-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Just curious, what part of the Kia are you spraying it on?

fightnews
06-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Just curious, what part of the Kia are you spraying it on?

I was thinking of spraying all the exterior trim on the lower part of the car. Under the doors and stuff. Its already in pristine condition i just wanted to see if I can give it some more pop.

I have it in the garage now

Eldorado2k
06-24-2017, 12:12 PM
I was thinking of spraying all the exterior trim on the lower part of the car. Under the doors and stuff. Its already in pristine condition i just wanted to see if I can give it some more pop.

I have it in the garage now

If I were you I'd use something like Solution Finish on that textured trim.
The only place I use an aerosol trim spray on that vehicle is for the small section of honeycomb grill underneath the front license plate.

If you use an aerosol on those rocker panels it's going to be a mess next time you go to wash the vehicle turning your mitt black with soot. Coat it and you won't have that problem + it'll be protected for the long haul.

vobro
06-24-2017, 02:39 PM
If I were you I'd use something like Solution Finish on that textured trim.
The only place I use an aerosol trim spray on that vehicle is for the small section of honeycomb grill underneath the front license plate.

If you use an aerosol on those rocker panels it's going to be a mess next time you go to wash the vehicle turning your mitt black with soot. Coat it and you won't have that problem + it'll be protected for the long haul.
I agree! The spray works well in areas that you can't get too or as Eldorado mentioned on grills. The bigger the area the harder it is to get an even look and when it starts to fail it'll look like sh!t. How much better do you think plastic will look? You state it's in pristine condition now

Rmd
06-24-2017, 03:45 PM
I haven't used that particular product but have used aerosol trim products in the past and I would spray a heavy amount on a foam of MF applicator and wipe on. Obviously that won't work if you are trying to hit an area that you can't easily cover, like a textured grill or bumper trim (which I realize is why you may be using an aerosol in the first place). For overspray on paint I agree with the damp MF towel, preferably wet with a rinseless wash solution.

rlmccarty2000
06-24-2017, 04:07 PM
I use it in the engine bay and just wipe with a dry microfiber to remove any overspray. I expected more. Truthfully there wasn't too much overspray. Around paint I prefer to use Solution Finish. It's easier to apply to specific areas.

fightnews
06-25-2017, 03:19 AM
I used solution finish a month ago I just wanted to perk it up a little. maybe I'll just use some wets or mckees plastic trim restorer. I use a whole separate bucket and sponge to wash the trim once a week. I tested the trim spray last week on the back bumper and it looks good still? Would this trim spray really look that bad when it fails?

fightnews
06-25-2017, 03:20 AM
I use it in the engine bay and just wipe with a dry microfiber to remove any overspray. I expected more. Truthfully there wasn't too much overspray. Around paint I prefer to use Solution Finish. It's easier to apply to specific areas.

ya my engines fully detailed i might just hit it with this stuff especially on the ridges.

fightnews
06-25-2017, 03:22 AM
I agree! The spray works well in areas that you can't get too or as Eldorado mentioned on grills. The bigger the area the harder it is to get an even look and when it starts to fail it'll look like sh!t. How much better do you think plastic will look? You state it's in pristine condition now

it could be better, ya it looks good but not as good as the day after i used the solution finish. im not gonna use that again after only a month its a project and it ruins towels

you shouldn't be so surprised we are all going for perfection here are we not?

Legumes
06-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Have you tried spraying it on an applicator, then applying? I'm not familiar with it, so maybe they won't work out too well if it's a product that is tacky and/or dries super fast.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2017, 11:09 AM
I stick to using aerosols in wheel wells. If I have to, honeycomb grills.

fightnews
06-25-2017, 03:05 PM
I just ended up leaving the trim as is for now as it looks good. I did use the aerosol for the engine and the plastic part at the bottom of the front windshield. It has a bunch of holes in it so the spray worked great.