PDA

View Full Version : How durable is collinite 845iw?

vindicator
12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
A few weeks ago i put Klasse AIO and SG on the car and 845iw.
The car was looking really dirty yesterday and since it was really cold in NY I decided to go to the car wash, do you think this took off the collinite 845?

Should I re wax for winter protection?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinny

Tonya
12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Vinny you should be OK..... just don't do it again :D ;) hehehe How many coats of Colinite did you apply? I would check by put some water on the car to check your beading action. If you only applied one coat and it's warm enough or you have a heated garage I would apply another. Especially, if the water does not bead. However realizing old man winter is working against you... I would at least apply some AW.

tonyspop
12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Just pour a little water on it,if it still beads your good to go:D.I'll bet that car wash added some swirly swirls though:eek:oops just saw Tonya beat me to it

Dust2Glory
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
bro 845iw is supposed to get 3-4 months. auto carwashes won't strip wax.... not different than using a pressure washer.

Tonya
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
bro 845iw is supposed to get 3-4 months. auto carwashes won't strip wax.... not different than using a pressure washer.
Dust2Glory I have a question.... I thought I have heard that some car wash soaps are very harsh and might strip your wax. So would you disagree with that? I am not questioning your post :D just trying to clairify. I have always just used water at the car wash when it is freezing.

Dust2Glory
12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Dust2Glory I have a question.... I thought I have heard that some car wash soaps are very harsh and might strip your wax. So would you disagree with that? I am not questioning your post :D just trying to clairify. I have always just used water at the car wash when it is freezing.

eeehhhh... hard to say. I know a guy that owns/owned several carwashes... in fact he gives me my water. but in my opinion, the soap would have to soak for several minutes to effectively do damage. normally, only sits for 20 seconds or so before it's washed off. some carwashes use more concentrated than others, I guess they could do a little damage. However, if you follow up with something like a quick wipe down of Aquawax, it would definately benefit you. But 845iw, from the description, is supposed to stand up to acids and what now. I love the stuff

Tonya
12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
OK thanks for your thoughts!

jesselyons2002
12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought the soaps at the touchless wash were move harsher then the one's at a smack and swirl car wash.

supercharged
12-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Since you have a coat of Klasse SG, it will be difficult to strip that...Collinite is pretty durable too...

budman3
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought the soaps at the touchless wash were move harsher then the one's at a smack and swirl car wash.

They are. Since nothing else touches the car, the soap has to be strong enough in order to strip the dirt off of the paint, bringing your LSP with it. Some of the soaps car washes use are diluted like 500:1, strong stuff.

Vindicator - You have 2 of the most durable LSPs on your vehicles and you'll be fine. However, it is always a good idea to add protection if the weather allows because you never know when you'll get that chance again. Atleast OCW or a spray wax wipedown would be a good idea.

Darren F
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
What exactly is "Durabiltiy"? What does all the hard work we put in actually protect the paint from?

Rsurfer
12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
What exactly is "Durabiltiy"? What does all the hard work we put in actually protect the paint from?It means that your LSP is protecting the cc. How durable is your wax or sealant is the question. The wax or sealant is protecting the cc from salt,UV,fall out, acid rain etc.. That's why we put in all the hard work.:D

NSXTASY
12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
What exactly is "Durabiltiy"? What does all the hard work we put in actually protect the paint from?

Durability and protection are exclusive of one another. Durability in car care terms refers to a products duration or length of time that it endures on a surface.

Protection in car care terms is the relative abilities of a product to shield a surface from the elements.

"We" hope that car care products reduce the effects of environmental factors from damaging surfaces.

All of the above are equally difficult to definitively determine.

trlblazer3
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I've used both 845 and 476s and can say that these are probably the most durable carnauba waxes on the market. To me they are more of a polymer sealant than anything. With the Klasse products underneath, you should be fine in the paint protection department.