PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars synthetic sealant nr 21

Gov
06-23-2017, 03:56 PM
I have used M21 for several years without any problem. This year I can not get it right. I have polished the car 3 times incl. with a pro. This since I belive I got hologram that moved, I had never seen things act like this before.

I found out today that is not hologram, but som fatty lines from the sealant.

This is the way I do it.

After I have finished the polishing and wipe down the car with Scholl concepts wipe down and control spray it is perfect, no sign of holograms or anything else.
Adding first layer of M21( thin by hand) let it dry to haze minimum 15 min and buff off.
Wait for 30 min to one hour
add second layer and let it dry to Haze and buff off.
However it never seems to get hard, it look like there is som fatty stuff that do not dry even if you buff as crazy.
The result is that you got som moving hologram like stuff, that is grease from the sealant.

This has never happen before in 10 years, has the product changed ?

I can not see any other solution than go away from M21 to an another brand. I have done it the same way for 10 year with no problem, which leaves me clueless.

If any have had the same experience it would be great with some feedback!

FUNX650
06-23-2017, 05:33 PM
I have used M21 for several years
without any problem. This year I
can not get it right.

This is the way I do it.

After I have finished the polishing
and wipe down the car with Scholl
concepts wipe down and control spray
it is perfect, no sign of holograms or
anything else.

Adding first layer of M21( thin by
hand) let it dry to haze minimum 15
min and buff off.
Wait for 30 min to one hour
add second layer and let it dry to
Haze and buff off.
However it never seems to get
hard, it look like there is som fatty
stuff that do not dry even if you buff
as crazy.
The result is that you got som
moving hologram like stuff, that is
grease from the sealant.

This has never happen before in
10 years, has the product changed?

I can not see any other solution than
go away from M21 to an another brand.

I have done it the same way for 10 year
with no problem, which leaves me clueless.

If any have had the same experience
it would be great with some feedback!
•Are you saying that you've been using
Scholl Concepts FINISH Control Spray
(CF02) for 10 years?

•Which product do you think might
have changed---M21; or the Scholl?

•I don't use any type of panel-wipes
before applying M21.
-I have never experienced the issues
you are describing. (And, for sure:
It's never wound up being greasy.)

•I don't see any differences/changes in
the M21 that I use now, and the M21
I have used in the past.

•M21: Good Stuff.

Bob

dlc95
06-23-2017, 07:43 PM
I love M21 because it doesn't get weird on me like that.

sweatthedetails
06-23-2017, 07:55 PM
don't know about holograms, but if your put 21 on a dark color too thick then you may see some stuff that almost looks like a darker stain. It will go away but its best to put it on as thin as possible.

Gov
06-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the answer. I will see if it changes after a few washes

It is the m21 I have used for several years.

Tanks again for the feedback

FUNX650
06-23-2017, 10:46 PM
It is the m21 I have used
for several years.

Then I'll suggest to not incorporate
the Scholl Concepts CF02 panel-wipe
downs, prior to applying M21.

Bob

DBAILEY
06-24-2017, 01:57 AM
Has it been unusually humid where you live when you've been applying it? Humidity and its effects is such a big variable.

The Guz
06-24-2017, 02:11 AM
How old is the current bottle of M21 that you have?

Gov
06-24-2017, 06:06 PM
I live in Norway so the temp. will be around 13-16 degree celcius, and there is always humidity in the air. Otherwise the bottles I got is brand new. Today after it has cured more than 24 hours and I have buffed with micro fiber clothes several times during the process and I think I have got away all that seemed like a oily surface and it get slick but does not shows when you touch it with fingers( like it used to do before). In the future I will go back to use just one layer, not two. I have checked the car with a rupes inspection pen and can now not see any fat holograms ( what I call it). Earlier it has been wipe on, wait a 15 minute until it you got a dry haze and wipe off two times. It got the Haze and it wipes easy off but there would be a little oily surface. However I think it can be the humidity in the air that can be the cause. Thanks for all the answers, and I hope I have fixed it, if not I will try som other sealant. Thanks.

MarkD51
06-24-2017, 07:28 PM
The couple times I used #21, I never liked it, thought it was crap. Both bottles hit the trash can after one use.

The old #20 was a much better product IMO

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 09:53 AM
I live in Norway so the temp. will be around 13-16 degree celcius, and there is always humidity in the air.

It got the Haze and it wipes easy off but there would be a little oily surface.

However I think it can be the humidity in the air that can be the cause.

I think what you're seeing are the actual protection ingredients that have not fully set-up or dried.

Try applying an uber-thin coat and the wipe off and allow some time to go by...

See this...

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

For a new sealant, check this out...

Pictures: RUPES Detailing Class at Autogeek - 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Streetrod (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-thursday-night-detailing-classes/100595-pictures-rupes-detailing-class-autogeek-1948-chevy-fleetmaster-streetrod.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104544

:)

Gov
07-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Sorry for not given any feedback before. I have waited for strong sun light, and did som test spot with 2 products.

I have done as you suggested ( did it the Mike`s way). I used a inspection light to checked the car after the final wipe, however it took 3 days before it got the final hardness (still using Meguiars nr. 21) . I guess the long curing time is because this year the air has really been very moist and the summer temps just arrived.

To get it short. It worked out very well.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sincerely

Gov