PDA

View Full Version : Can anything get this off my wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

MarkF150
06-23-2017, 03:55 PM
I bought these wheels about 2 years ago. I immediately had them opti-coated after they were put on the truck, and all was well. Full disclosure, I rarely hand wash these wheels its usually just the automated washes which is how it got this bad to begin with I gather. Ive been off roading a few times and while I always pressure wash the dirt off after I think this is some dirt/brake dust thats been baked onto the finish.

This pic is after 2 rounds of Sonax Full Effect, letting it sit for about 5 minutes and then some pretty good scrubbing with a soft tooth brush. It looks like this on all the wheels but its much worse on the front wheels than the rears. I expected it to be a chore to get this stuff off but I really thought the opti coat would make it a little easier than this.

Will anything get this stuff off??

http://i64.tinypic.com/2eg5r92.jpg

custmsprty
06-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Looks like they are pitted to me.

Rsurfer
06-23-2017, 04:33 PM
What kind of wheels (painted c/c, coated aluminum)?

If Sonax didn't take it off..Meg's Wheel Brightner if it's not aluminum.

MarkF150
06-23-2017, 05:06 PM
What kind of wheels (painted c/c, coated aluminum)?

If Sonax didn't take it off..Meg's Wheel Brightner if it's not aluminum.

They are Method Roost wheels in matte black, I'm not sure what they are made of but I imagine it's an alloy wheel they weren't expensive.

Do you think wheel Brightener has a chance? Any tips on what to scrub it with or would a tooth brush be enough?

Thanks

Rsurfer
06-23-2017, 05:17 PM
They are Method Roost wheels in matte black, I'm not sure what they are made of but I imagine it's an alloy wheel they weren't expensive.

Do you think wheel Brightener has a chance? Any tips on what to scrub it with or would a tooth brush be enough?

Thanks

A tooth brush is good, but wear gloves and eye protection. W/B is an acid.

Rsurfer
06-23-2017, 05:21 PM
After again looking at the picture you posted. Why would anyone put the lead balance weights on the outer lip? The lead might turn color (green) when using WB.

MarkF150
06-23-2017, 05:23 PM
There are no weights on the outside of the wheel, thats the design of the wheel on the outer edge

Rsurfer
06-23-2017, 05:33 PM
There are no weights on the outside of the wheel, thats the design of the wheel on the outer edge

LOL, They did look like long weights.

MarkF150
06-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Yeah it's hard to tell from the pics but that part actually indents inward, not sticking out

PaulMys
06-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Looks like they are pitted to me.

I agree.

MarkF150
06-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Do you think Wheel Brightener is a waste of time then? The Sonax did make it look better than it was but not by a whole lot.

PaulMys
06-23-2017, 06:19 PM
If they are aluminum/aluminum alloy (which to me, from the pic it looks like they are, and looks like aluminum oxidation/pitting), then nothing is really gonna touch that.

GSKR
06-23-2017, 06:38 PM
I bought these wheels about 2 years ago. I immediately had them opti-coated after they were put on the truck, and all was well. Full disclosure, I rarely hand wash these wheels its usually just the automated washes which is how it got this bad to begin with I gather. Ive been off roading a few times and while I always pressure wash the dirt off after I think this is some dirt/brake dust thats been baked onto the finish.

This pic is after 2 rounds of Sonax Full Effect, letting it sit for about 5 minutes and then some pretty good scrubbing with a soft tooth brush. It looks like this on all the wheels but its much worse on the front wheels than the rears. I expected it to be a chore to get this stuff off but I really thought the opti coat would make it a little easier than this.

Will anything get this stuff off??

http://i64.tinypic.com/2eg5r92.jpgThey look like above surface deposits.My go to would be wheel brighter. Without scratching see if you can flake off a piece with your nail.If it hasn't in the barrel of the wheel work with that instead of the face of the wheel.

Crispy
06-23-2017, 06:46 PM
That looks like iron deposits above paint.

I would keep using an iron remover until gone.

FUNX650
06-23-2017, 06:59 PM
They are Method Roost wheels
in matte black, I'm not sure what
they are made of but I imagine it's
an alloy wheel they weren't expensive.

Do you think wheel Brightener
has a chance? Any tips on what
to scrub it with or would a tooth
brush be enough?

•Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener (D140) is
recommended for OEM wheels (CC'd,