PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating question

chadcj7
06-22-2017, 06:04 AM
I just recently got some of the Hydro Blue and I used it on my wheels. Man does the water bead up quickly after just a spray and wash!!!!

So while I was freshly claying and waxing my truck last week it got me thinking. on my next wash can I just spray the Hydro Blue on each panel as directed, and add ore protection on top of the Ultimate wax I just put on. Is this possible or am I just wasting product?

Thanks in advance

Buster906
06-22-2017, 06:10 AM
From my understanding, Hydro Blue has to be applied to a bare surface to ensure proper bonding

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nick McKees37
06-22-2017, 06:15 AM
I just recently got some of the Hydro Blue and I used it on my wheels. Man does the water bead up quickly after just a spray and wash!!!!

So while I was freshly claying and waxing my truck last week it got me thinking. on my next wash can I just spray the Hydro Blue on each panel as directed, and add ore protection on top of the Ultimate wax I just put on. Is this possible or am I just wasting product?

Thanks in advance

From my understanding, Hydro Blue has to be applied to a bare surface to ensure proper bonding

Hydro Blue can be used in many ways...

1. Stand alone LSP
2. Maintenance product for a coated surface
3. Maintenance product for a sealed surface
4. Maintenance product for a waxed surface

If you use it for application 4, wait a few weeks AFTER waxing before applying Hydro Blue. Most waxes contain oils (natural, not 10W30 :) )and other "stuff" that "wets" the finish. These natural oils can promote streaking with Hydro Blue (and any other spray wax, for that matter). The reason I recommend to wait a few weeks is because the oils wear off pretty quickly.

Sometimes less is more.

:dblthumb2:

Just in case you haven't seen this video yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtiRQDUUxc

Buster906
06-22-2017, 06:19 AM
So am I correct in saying Hydro Blue should be applied to a bare surface or a surface lacking an detailing oils as in step 4

chadcj7
06-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Hydro Blue can be used in many ways...

1. Stand alone LSP
2. Maintenance product for a coated surface
3. Maintenance product for a sealed surface
4. Maintenance product for a waxed surface

If you use it for application 4, wait a few weeks AFTER waxing before applying Hydro Blue. Most waxes contain oils (natural, not 10W30 :) )and other "stuff" that "wets" the finish. These natural oils can promote streaking with Hydro Blue (and any other spray wax, for that matter). The reason I recommend to wait a few weeks is because the oils wear off pretty quickly.

Sometimes less is more.

:dblthumb2:

Just in case you haven't seen this video yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtiRQDUUxc

Thanks for this info. I think that is what I was looking for

I did see that video. It is what convinced me to buy it for my wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Buster906
06-22-2017, 06:22 AM
That is the video created by Joe of Next Level Auto Detail correct? I have yet to try on my wheels

PA DETAILER
06-22-2017, 06:25 AM
I started with a clean surface. I used Iron-x to do this. Stuff is amazing. Still beading like crazy weeks after application.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/110002-afternoon-hydro-blue.html

WaxMaster1
06-22-2017, 06:26 AM
That is the video created by Joe of Next Level Auto Detail correct? I have yet to try on my wheels

No, that's Nick

Nick McKees37
06-22-2017, 06:58 AM
So am I correct in saying Hydro Blue should be applied to a bare surface or a surface lacking an detailing oils as in step 4

No....it means that:

If you use it for application 4, wait a few weeks AFTER waxing before applying Hydro Blue. Most waxes contain oils (natural, not 10W30 )and other "stuff" that "wets" the finish. These natural oils can promote streaking with Hydro Blue (and any other spray wax, for that matter). The reason I recommend to wait a few weeks is because the oils wear off pretty quickly.

I happened to use the same photo as Joe for the video he uploaded (coincidence!). Credit goes to Joe for that photo (he's a great photographer!)

Here's Joe's video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQgcqiqDt8

kevincwelch
06-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Sorry, but I have my doubts about the durability of any silica spray applied to a wax. I'm not sure how the organic base and inorganic silica interact.

In the company's testing, how long does Hydro Blue last when applied to a waxed (or sealed - not coated) paint surface?

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Nick McKees37
06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Sorry, but I have my doubts about the durability of any silica spray applied to a wax. I'm not sure how the organic base and inorganic silica interact.

In the company's testing, how long does Hydro Blue last when applied to a waxed (or sealed - not coated) paint surface?

(Sent via my mobile device...)

I agree with you Kevin. The natural oils found in most waxes definitely impact the longevity of Hydro Blue. How much? That depends on several factors, including when the wax was applied (refer to point number 4 in post above), how the surface was prepped prior to waxing, etc etc.

When I say "wax," I'm referring to a waxy substance, like a high-dollar carnauba paste wax.

If I had to guess, I would say using Hydro Blue as a topper over a carnauba wax would cut the longevity in half, maybe more, maybe less.

If you're dead set on using a carnauba paste wax on your vehicle, McKee's 37 Fast Wax is a better choice to maintain it. Synergistic Chemical Compatibility.
:props: