PDA

View Full Version : YOUR WAY of Compounding, Polishing, Glazing, & Waxing?

chrisg8p
06-21-2017, 01:13 AM
BEFORE YOU START YES I KNOW there's a lots of threads, posts, videos, and sites on this,BUT they don't cover what I want, I looked everywhere!
After collecting Hopefully a mass amount of info, I want to make a ONE STOP for NOOBS like myself, to truly start from. *will give credit of course to the really good threads and posts I see*

TOOLS: Griot's Garage 6" Polisher(W/ LC 5in plate), Lake Country Pads 5 1/2" 6xOrange(compounding) 1xyellow (incase I need stronger than orange for a section) , 4xWhite(polishing), 1xBlue(waxing), and for the glazing idk

Product: Meguiar's M105 Compound, Meguiar's M205 Polish, Meguiar's M7 Glaze, Liquid Glass (for the wax best reviews ive ever seen in any wax, and YES I KNOW its not technically a wax *TOO some* but to me yes)

So lets start, I made this even with the thousands of #### on this topic already because I want certain details I could not find or could not find repeatedly as a verification.

1. Compounding - imma start off with my experience, so original had a yellow Meg's pad, a $30 black&decker orbital and Meg's Ultimate Compound. I used 3/4 of the bottle on my ONE CAR ( that has to be wrong right ??) btw its a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. it had a #### ton of swirls, I spent an hour on the hood and that results are these
my wife took the pick I'm underway (I'm in the US Navy) posting this on my ship.

ANYWAYS, ik the polisher I had wasn't good but hot damn 1 whole hour to 1:30 just on the hood & that's my results!! rest of the car isn't too bad .

SO LONG STORY SHORT

1. COMPOUNDING what's your technique/ recommendations to the following

A) How much you use I seen vids where its 3 dime sizes or 5 dime sizes or long ass globs WHICH IS IT???

B) I know you overlap 50% but how many FULL laps do you do or should be able to get to or "do you stop and wipe" or "add more compound" when its clear or hazy?

C) how big should my sections be I hear 1foot by 1foot to 2foot by 2 foot or bigger? to me the first two seem like that's really small and will take years idk lol.

D) DIRECTIONS single directions or double directions and Speed for my GG6 *starting & Mid*

E) Should I wipe after every application or keep wet and about how many times for wet option ( and when would I re-wet when its clear or hazy on the paint)

F) I feel I should be using a lot less than 3/4 of 16 oz bottle of compound on ONE CAR .. am I right??

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING UP YOU SO FAR!! promise the rest wont be so complicated, but I feel compounding is the most technical and serious part of detailing because of cutting

NEXT
2. POLISHING - truth time ... ugh okay I DIDNT POLISH in the that pic above, I ran out of time and went straight to waxing! *phew* glad that's off my chest. BUT I've seen in videos of ppl getting rid of their swirls with just compound so ### happened with me!?

A) QUICK OPTION is this treated the exact same as compounding as the above answers?

B) If not Tell me amount, directions, speed, how many FULL laps, amount of times to re-wet or is there NO RE-WET just wipe, section sizes?

See that was easy!

NEXT
3. GLAZE - from what I seen looks easy still want you technique guys, never done this, so help me out so I can help others with the soon to be made thread!

A) amount looks like enough to make a thin coat

B) time I saw was 15 minutes left on the paint

C) any tips or left out info please do tell??

NEXT
4. WAX - okay my experience easy enough but I went thru 3/4 of one can Meg's ultimate past wax I feel like I used way too much am I right????

A) how much like a very thin coat that you can barely see, or thin coat you can see easily or paste that Sh*t on there like I did

B)so I know for regular wax you leave on there for about 5 minutes slide your finger up and if the path is clear its time to wipe, RIGHT? ... BUT any Liquid Glass users here that can tell me how to use it correctly??

C) Liquid glass Questions: same as "WAX a)how much" and CURE TIME I've read that 30 minutes in the sun to 3 hours in the sun and I've read wipe off within 30 minutes then put car in sun for 3 hours is that what it means by curing?

that's it guys IM FINISHED sorry for the long story but I want a single thread that covers damn near all of the questions I got and I know others have

SO THANK YOU for reading and especially those that comment!!!! also please tell me if made some spelling errors or anything

fightnews
06-21-2017, 03:39 AM
Liquid glass looks like something that would have been great to use in the 70's

dcjredline
06-21-2017, 07:01 AM
1. COMPOUNDING what's your technique/ recommendations to the following

A) How much you use I seen vids where its 3 dime sizes or 5 dime sizes or long ass globs WHICH IS IT??? Depends on the product used, humidity conditions, temp etc etc etc. Its a procedure you just pick up on. If you put 3 dots and its dry before you finish your passes you put more. If too wet you use less. This is really hard to say XYZ is the final answer in every situation.

B) I know you overlap 50% but how many FULL laps do you do or should be able to get to or "do you stop and wipe" or "add more compound" when its clear or hazy? Again depends on the product, humidity, temp, AND paint hardness/condition. There isnt a set number that works on every single paint type/condition. USUALLY 3 or 4 passes can do it and the "standard" most of us use is up and down pass then side to side pass alternating. Wipe down after that section is done.

C) how big should my sections be I hear 1foot by 1foot to 2foot by 2 foot or bigger? to me the first two seem like that's really small and will take years idk lol. the "standard" most of us use here is 2x2. I break my sections up depending on the body lines of the car, I like to follow as closely as possible to the 2x2 rule though.

D) DIRECTIONS single directions or double directions and Speed for my GG6 *starting & Mid* Two directions (for full coverage), speed depends on alot of factors too but compounding can normally be done around speed 4.5-6. 6 is usually too high in my experience.

E) Should I wipe after every application or keep wet and about how many times for wet option ( and when would I re-wet when its clear or hazy on the paint) I wipe every section when done with it. I dont know what you mean by keep wet. There is no benefit to keeping the used product and removed clear coat sitting on the section you just finished

F) I feel I should be using a lot less than 3/4 of 16 oz bottle of compound on ONE CAR .. am I right?? Yeah, I use maybe 3-4 ounces average for Camrys and Corollas.

Eldorado2k
06-21-2017, 07:20 AM
When I work with M105 & M205, I always start off with a circle on a new pad and 3 pea sized dots [maybe a little bigger but nowhere near a dime] thereafter. I don't prime anything but microfiber pads.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/ce8f322dd6210d34b18e67e64e66c3d1.jpg

I work a 1.5' x 1.5' section and move the polisher side to side 3/4 times, then up/down, and side to side once more and wipe off the product and inspect. I do not like DAT abrasives, hence the reason I love M105/205.

chrisg8p
06-21-2017, 08:47 AM
thank you and when I was saying keeping wet it meant like after I do the 3-4 full laps just reapply more compound but someone in another thread stie told me no don't do that just wipe and see if you need more

chrisg8p
06-21-2017, 08:49 AM
When I work with M105 & M205, I always start off with a circle on a new pad and 3 pea sized dots [maybe a little bigger but nowhere near a dime] thereafter. I don't prime anything but microfiber pads.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/ce8f322dd6210d34b18e67e64e66c3d1.jpg

I work a 1.5' x 1.5' section and move the polisher side to side 3/4 times, then up/down, and side to side once more and wipe off the product and inspect. I do not like DAT abrasives, hence the reason I love M105/205.

thank you for the visual .. so in that pic you're priming a new pad right, but you just said you don't prime anything but microfiber pads, when in the pic that's a FOAM one right? No trying to sound rude trying to understand cuz im a noob. thank you

Eldorado2k
06-21-2017, 09:08 AM
thank you for the visual .. so in that pic you're priming a new pad right, but you just said you don't prime anything but microfiber pads, when in the pic that's a FOAM one right? No trying to sound rude trying to understand cuz im a noob. thank you

Correct that's a new fresh pad. I don't consider that priming but I guess I see how it could sort of be thought of that way and I could sort of understand.. But fully priming would be to spread the polish or compound all across the face of the foam pad prior to it touching the paint for the 1st time and that's something I've never liked to do.

With just that circle amount it's enough to spread across the face of the pad within the 1st couple seconds of polishing without prematurely clogging up the pad. I also like to clean on the fly often, pretty much everytime I pick up the polisher from the paint, instead of waiting until I'm done with a whole panel as by then it could nearly be pretty saturated and too far gone.

I clean on the fly with either a tightly folded terry towel or a pad brush and usually have both nearby.

chrisg8p
06-21-2017, 08:07 PM
thank you guys for posting

I don't think I even need to make another thread just use this one

if anyone else got some tips POST !!THE MORE THE BETTER

dcjredline
06-21-2017, 11:05 PM
thank you and when I was saying keeping wet it meant like after I do the 3-4 full laps just reapply more compound but someone in another thread stie told me no don't do that just wipe and see if you need more

Right, in that situation you would most times want to clean the old used up product and any removed paint from the area and start again with fresh product. It will compound/polish better and not recontaminate.