PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Pages : [1] 2

Aqualung
06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
So I just got a new car (Honda Accord Touring Sedan) a few weeks ago but have been unable to wash it due to the horrible weather we have been having the past few weeks here in South Florida. Want to do a detail this weekend. Would you all recommend I clay the car then add sealant then wax or clay the car then add one of those all in one wax/sealant/cleaner (McKees 37 360 or something comparable). Plan on using foam gun on car. Also any other recommendations on products I can use. Have not detailed a car in ages since I leased my last 2 cars and they included free washed and details.

DavidM235ily
06-19-2017, 01:32 PM
You should definitely clay it and put a wax or sealant on. A cleaner/all in one may not be necessary on a brand new car if clayed though.

I used to think claying a new car was silly until I started doing it. All of my cars have needed claying more at purchase than any other time of ownership. It's amazing how much stuff gets in the paint between manufacture and delivery.

So I just got a new car (Honda Accord Touring Sedan) a few weeks ago but have been unable to wash it due to the horrible weather we have been having the past few weeks here in South Florida. Want to do a detail this weekend. Would you all recommend I clay the car then add sealant then wax or clay the car then add one of those all in one wax/sealant/cleaner (McKees 37 360 or something comparable). Plan on using foam gun on car. Also any other recommendations on products I can use. Have not detailed a car in ages since I leased my last 2 cars and they included free washed and details.

custmsprty
06-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Here is everyhting you'll ever need to know, step by step by Mike Phillips.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Aqualung
06-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Here is everyhting you'll ever need to know, step by step by Mike Phillips.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Nice!! Didn't see that but this will help. Thanks

Aqualung
06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
So do you all think it's a good idea to use Iron X after washing the car?

adamgayton81
06-19-2017, 02:21 PM
So do you all think it's a good idea to use Iron X after washing the car?

It doesn't hurt...this is the chemical version of "claying" and removes a lot of the fallout prior to claying. I use the chemicals on any new car or any car that I haven't detailed before...then typically you can almost get away with "spot" claying only the needed areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer
06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
New car prep is case by case and a thorough inspection and proper top to bottom walk around is key. Some need more, some need less. The lot they sat in, the geography, and length of time it traveled by rail, if any, are all factors.

ScottH
06-19-2017, 06:33 PM

First, heartfelt congrats on the new car - always a special moment. Here is what I did when our car was new:

- Washed (twice)
- Chemical Decon
- Clay
- Prep Polish
- Blackfire Wet Diamond All Paint Protection (Sealant)
- Midnight Sun Carnauba (100% optional - you can skip this - it was more for looks than anything)
- Polished and Sealed glass - important when new
- Coated Wheels - important when new
- Applied Trim Protection - very important to do when new

ScottH

Aqualung
06-21-2017, 08:25 AM
First, heartfelt congrats on the new car - always a special moment. Here is what I did when our car was new:

- Washed (twice)
- Chemical Decon
- Clay
- Prep Polish
- Blackfire Wet Diamond All Paint Protection (Sealant)
- Midnight Sun Carnauba (100% optional - you can skip this - it was more for looks than anything)
- Polished and Sealed glass - important when new
- Coated Wheels - important when new
- Applied Trim Protection - very important to do when new

ScottH

SO what do you recommend as a prep polish, a glass sealer, wheel protectant and trim protectant

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Congrats! What color is it? The paint is soft on my brothers new black Accord. If you clay, you'll definitely want to polish after. I'd recommend a tangerine hydrotech pad and a light polish(HD POLISH+). Do you have a polisher?

Aqualung
06-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Congrats! What color is it? The paint is soft on my brothers new black Accord. If you clay, you'll definitely want to polish after. I'd recommend a tangerine hydrotech pad and a light polish(HD POLISH+). Do you have a polisher?

It's the dark grey color which I think they call modern steel metallic.

I do not own a polisher. Maybe sometime in the near future one will be purchased. Not in the budget at this time. Any other recommendations besides using a polisher.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
It's the dark grey color which I think they call modern steel metallic.

I do not own a polisher. Maybe sometime in the near future one will be purchased. Not in the budget at this time. Any other recommendations besides using a polisher.
I wouldn't clay the car without a polisher. You will micro-marr the paint, which will result in a hologram appearance in the sun. I'd use an iron remover, then pre-wax cleaner by hand, then wax or sealant.

Aqualung
06-21-2017, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't clay the car without a polisher. You will micro-marr the paint, which will result in a hologram appearance in the sun. I'd use an iron remover, then pre-wax cleaner by hand, then wax or sealant.

ok I see what you mean. Until the paint is completely hardened from the factory, avoid claying. Purchasing some iron X for the car. Which pre-wax would you recommend and is it better to place sealant on the car then wax or vice versa?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2017, 10:23 AM
ok I see what you mean. Until the paint is completely hardened from the factory, avoid claying. Purchasing some iron X for the car. Which pre-wax would you recommend and is it better to place sealant on the car then wax or vice versa?
Actually, your paint is already 100% hardened. A better way to explain it would be, Hondas(most japanese cars) have a more "sensitive" clear coat compared to others. The more sensitive clears are just as good as others, just more prone to scratching easier.

This is a good one...

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)

Some may say using an ultra-fine clay bar may not result in micro-marring(sratching) the surface, but I'm not sold on that, especially with scratch sensitive clear coats. You can give it a shot.

Aqualung
06-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Actually, your paint is already 100% hardened. A better way to explain it would be, Hondas(most japanese cars) have a more "sensitive" clear coat compared to others. The more sensitive clears are just as good as others, just more prone to scratching easier.

This is a good one...

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)

Some may say using an ultra-fine clay bar may not result in micro-marring(sratching) the surface, but I'm not sold on that, especially with scratch sensitive clear coats. You can give it a shot.
No I think I will give your idea a shot. Thanks