PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction Issues and Question

thebouncer
06-16-2017, 06:54 PM
I am trying to correct the paint on 2011 Blackberry Pearl Jeep Liberty.

I washed the vehicle and the began paint correction using a Flex Buffer and Orange/tangerine Lake Country Light Cutting Pad with Wolfgang Uber Compound. I then switched to a Grey Heavy cut LC foam pad and then went to a griots Microfiber Cutting Pad. I tried running between 4 - 5 speed setting.:buffing:

Two problems

1. I am getting dusting
2. Some scratches are not coming out (they are not into the primer, just the clear, also I have these odd what appear to be "water spots" they seem to be beneath the clear as buffing them has no effect and when I rub my finger over it I feel no difference in surface depth. I am not sure what it is. I have included pictures..

Do I need to go to Wool pad next or change over to Megs M101 Compound instead beginning with a light cut and graduating up to heavy then microfiber then wool if that doesn't work ? I don't want to go through the clearcoat but I would like to get rid of the scratches and these "spots".

Please see attached pics 580045800358002

Buster906
06-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Do you have any MINERAL DEPOSIT REMOVER

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thebouncer
06-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Do you have any MINERAL DEPOSIT REMOVER

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have "Iron X" other than that no.

Buster906
06-16-2017, 07:27 PM
I would give the Iron-X a try. Nothing to lose by trying then place a damp microfiber towel once you apply the Iron-X and let dwell for a bit

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
06-16-2017, 07:37 PM
I have "Iron X" other than that no.
Iron X will not remove water spots. Looks more like bird poop than water spots.

rlmccarty2000
06-16-2017, 08:22 PM
You may be getting into wet sanding territory. The scratches should be coming out with the microfiber pads, but those spots may have eaten way down through the clear. If the spot is raised it is a water spot if it is indented it is etched. If you like you can try white vinegar to dissolve a water spot.

lane5515
06-16-2017, 09:54 PM
You may be getting into wet sanding territory. The scratches should be coming out with the microfiber pads, but those spots may have eaten way down through the clear. If the spot is raised it is a water spot if it is indented it is etched. If you like you can try white vinegar to dissolve a water spot.

I agree. Are those spots in front of the windshield washer nozzles/misters?

thebouncer
06-17-2017, 09:57 AM
I agree. Are those spots in front of the windshield washer nozzles/misters?
Yes most of them are. there are a few which are not.

thebouncer
06-17-2017, 09:58 AM
should I go to wool or is that going to be too aggressive ? or should I change to M101 instead of Uber Compound?

thebouncer
06-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Ok so I tried M101 and a LC Hybrid Light Cutting Pad it is fading these marks but they are not completely gone... would going to the heavy cut (Grey Hybrid LC pad) risk ripping through the clear or would I be okay ?

LSNAutoDetailing
06-17-2017, 10:50 AM
First question to ask before you go more aggressive is: Can I live with the etchings as they stand, or can I live with no clear-coat?

First read these articles:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/87410-clearcoats-thin-mike-phillips.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21471-wetsanding-fresh-paint-vs-factory-paint.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html

mwoywod
06-17-2017, 10:52 AM
you should be fine as long as you really watch your heat and keep speeds low. That said, I highly recommend getting a 3 inch backing plate and some 3 inch bos MF Pads for more precise polishing

TTQ B4U
06-17-2017, 12:54 PM
I agree with Mike in that if there are only a few here and there and mostly around the washer nozzles, then just ask yourself if you can live with them. If not, pop on a purple wool pad, and use something like Ultimate Compound. They should come out in a couple passes. I just removed some from a neighbors hood/roof/decklid on his black sedan in about 30 minutes with my Flex 3401. Once you compound it just hit it with a good polish on a white pad and you'll be in business.