PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past - TR3 Resin Glaze

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
06-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Blast from the past - TR3 Resin Glaze

When I was younger, this was a popular product and I remember purchasing a can to test out on my own car. I don't remember being overly impressed by it because after using it I continued my search for the "Best Wax".

Back when I ran the Meguiar's forum I created a forum group called,

Blast from the past!

In this group myself and others would share vintage and antique products in our car wax collections. When we have visitors to Autogeek, if they visit me in my office, most people are curious and interested to check out some of the unique products in my collections. I wasn't on the forum or facebook much today as I was doing inventory with the products used for our classes here at Autogeek. Before I leave for the weekend I thought I would share something from my collection to get this new group going.

I present...

TR3 Resin Glaze

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3466/TR3_001.JPG

This isn't the can I purchased back in the 1970's but a can someone gave me in the last few years. While it's not from the 1970's or even the 1980's, (it has a .com domain name on the side label), it looks exactly like the can of TR3 Resin Glaze I purchased and applied to my high school car.

Like most of the products you'll find at a retail store, this is a one-step cleaner/sealant. It would be called a one-step cleaner/wax except the protection ingredients are not wax but some form of synthetic or man-made ingredients. Same idea though.

:)

Kamakaz1961
06-16-2017, 06:08 PM
OMG!! I remember that! Shoot I am OLD!!! They still sell Nu Polish too!!!! So cool to see that! I always thought TR3 was a varnish!...LOL

custmsprty
06-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Oh man, that brings back some memories.

dlc95
06-16-2017, 08:17 PM
I still see this on the shelves of local parts stores!

The only thing I remember from the 80's was the glass bottles of Turtle Wax in grandpa's basement. The first time I waxed a car was with my dad in 1986. We went to grandpa and grandma's house, and washed and waxed the car. Our house had super hard water (mine now, and it still does), so we did the job there in Pontiac.

Fast forward ten years and I'd have the Meguiar's Deep Crystal System, Blue Coral Autofom liquid, and paste, Blue Coral Ultra Fine Auto Polish, Turtle Wax Vision, Meguiar's Gold Class, Meguiar's A12 Cleaner Wax, Meguiar's Medallion....

Lots of memories there!

WaxMaster1
06-16-2017, 08:28 PM
I remember that and the stuff the English guy waxed a hood with and then lit it on fire and then wiped the residue away. Funny stuff. And Mike, try not to talk about products that aren't sold here at Autogeek. :joking:

Mike Phillips
06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
I remember that and the stuff the English guy waxed a hood with and then lit it on fire and then wiped the residue away. Funny stuff.

That was

Auri

:)

WaxMaster1
06-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Let's not forget the metal filings placed on the paint and dissolved with acid too!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!

DBAILEY
06-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Blue Coral Autofom and the Auri is what got me started into detailing. After that I tried Klasse because I kept seeing their stuff in those gift magazines like Harrington's and SkyMall. Then I made the jump to Zaino. That is when I got serious about detailing and paint correction and found out about all the great products that are out there.

This TR3 and Liquid Glass were also ones that I was trying out when first starting

runningman187
06-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Rubbing compund believe its was num.5 in a green and white can the compound was an orange like color that worked back in the 80's would use a sock rough ouch but it worked well lol

Sent from my LGMS345 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Jaretr1
08-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Love this thread. Cant wait to see more posts of old products!

Frank70
08-17-2017, 03:15 PM
I remember TR3 and I still see it around every now and then. Don't have a picture but does anyone remember Vista. I used it back in the 60's and 70's. Sure kept my rides looking good.

BillyJack
08-17-2017, 03:42 PM
This is my first pic insertion since the photobucket fiasco, so we'll see how it works.
Here's some pics of my vintage products:

I didn't collect any of this stuff, as I'm old enough to have purchased them before they were considered "vintage".
Most of the Meguiars stuff is still available today. If Classic Slipstream was still available today, I'd still be using it. Slipstream was a hard carnauba with a solvent base. In their advertisements they claimed you could actually wax a car in the rain with it, and, of course, I had to test that claim out. It was true.

Bill

Larry A
08-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Back in 1963 and 1964 I worked for a Pontiac dealer and all cars got waxed with Dupont # 7 New car Wax . It was a hard paste wax that was made to compete with Simonize Vista.

GSKR
08-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Blue Coral Autofom and the Auri is what got me started into detailing. After that I tried Klasse because I kept seeing their stuff in those gift magazines like Harrington's and SkyMall. Then I made the jump to Zaino. That is when I got serious about detailing and paint correction and found out about all the great products that are out there.

This TR3 and Liquid Glass were also ones that I was trying out when first starting

I was gonna mentioned blue coral you beat me to it.Great stuff one of there brands you needed some extreme muscle to get off.

BillE
08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
I remember TR3 and I still see it around every now and then. Don't have a picture but does anyone remember Vista. I used it back in the 60's and 70's. Sure kept my rides looking good.

If I am correct, Vista was the first "cleaner/wax" to hit the shelves. I wanna say around 1960.

Bill