PDA

View Full Version : Dark Blue Correction - Advice on Paint Condition and Equipment Needed

rick3000
06-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have decided to give my '99 Porsche a polish prior to touching up some road rash and a few scratches, then protecting it with sealant and wax. I have never machine polished a car before, and would love to get some advice before I begin to invested in the equipment necessary to correct my paint. As far as I know the paint on this car has never been polished, so I think I should have plenty of clear coat, and if I can get it to 75%-ish I would be ecstatic. I believe most of the damage was caused by using a nylon snow brush in the winter, before I knew how incredible stupid that was.

I plan to buy a Griot's 6" because I like the price and the warranty and it seems to be the recommended polisher for beginners. I also plan to switch to a 5" backing plate immediately, because my car has a lot of curves. However, I am very confused by all of the opinions about which pads and products to use. I would prefer to not buy a bunch of pads I won't need. I have looked at the Meguiar's Microfiber Correction system, but I have read that the MF finishing pad will not finish as well as foam. I would also like to use the bottle of Menzerna 3500 I already have to finish prior to applying sealant, instead of the cleaner wax in the Meguiar's kit.

I have included a few images of the paint, the first is the hood, the second is the trunk lid, and the third is the rear quarter panel that has some deep (fingernail catching) tree branch scratches I plan to touchup with Dr. ColorChip after polishing the car. This is my daily driver, so I plan to polish it at least one more time when I retire it to weekend warrior status in a few years.

Main Question
Based on the paint condition in the photos, which products and pads would you recommend for a beginner?

Specific Questions
Will the MF Finishing pad, finish as well as a comparable foam pad with the SF3500?

Should I go for a Meguiar's MF cutting disc and D300, then finish with a white(?) CCS foam pad and the SF3500?

Would foam pads with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover or Menzerna PG1000, then SF3500 be better? Which pads?

Can a beginner use MF pads, or should I stick with foam for everything? Are the Griot's foam pads any good (looking at the 5" conversion kit)?

Would a thin or thick foam pad be better for a beginner?

Is the paint so bad I should just call a pro?

Thank you in advance to everyone that replies!!!

supercharged75
06-16-2017, 11:28 AM
You can fix that. Wash, decontaminate, then polish
Remember start least aggressive and test a spot and see if you get the results you want or make adjust your process as needed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Paul A.
06-16-2017, 12:56 PM
"Paging Dr. Sizzle Chest. Customer needs assistance in aisle 19" .

My personal favorites on free spinning DA machines are the Lake Country Thin Pro pads. Those pads coupled with Menzerna products are magical!

howardm4
06-16-2017, 02:33 PM
wash
clay/nanoskin w/ lube
Menzerna PF2500 and then maybe the 3500 if need be.
5" backplate w/ LC white or orange (start w/ white)
sealant of choice
wax of choice

dcjredline
06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I would say you could get great results with the D300 and MF cutting discs then 5 or so white or softer foam with your 3500!!!

rick3000
06-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have continued doing a ton of research and thing I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to purchase, but I have a few additional questions:

Do you think a compound is necessary, or will something like the PF2500 provide enough cut?
I am not sure if I should buy MF cutting pads, or if LC orange pads will be sufficient? (I know I will need to do a test spot, working from least to most aggressive.)