PDA

View Full Version : H2 hummer, crows feet paint

jmorlan
06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
I picked up this H2 hummer yesterday for 6 grand, the paint definitely has been neglected, and is no where near up to par for what I like in a vehicle so I'm not sure I'll keep it.

But while I've been going over it, wash, decontaminate, and hit it with m105 and my flex, it's revealing these crows feet scratches all over the paint.

Any help on how to mitigate that? Is the clear/base coat failing from neglect over the years and is it going to get worse and a pretty accelerated rate?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170616/00585e6d32250e94716cedc86d09adbb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170616/321f635f9c62852ea479eda38e6234f1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170616/3709ef123d6e3a119c04f55d631982bd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170616/09e8c2ca0a455be0ee11e684133a18c7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
06-16-2017, 09:24 AM
That sounds like a STEAL!

How many miles?

As for mitigating the appearance of the cracks in the paint about the only thing I know of that other people have tried and had some forum of luck is the Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze.

Machine applying anything white is going to expose and showcase them...

:)

jmorlan
06-16-2017, 09:45 AM
That sounds like a STEAL!

How many miles?

As for mitigating the appearance of the cracks in the paint about the only thing I know of that other people have tried and had some forum of luck is the Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze.

Machine applying anything white is going to expose and showcase them...

:)
140k.
Yeah, I've been reading some of your other posts regarding the issue and it's pretty much something I'll have to maintain and live with or turn the vehicle.
I've been looking for an suv my girlfriend and I can drive back and forth to work, or on some trips as currently we have 2 diesel pickups and the short trips are tough on them and we missed having am SUV.
Honestly an h2 was not on the menu at all. We were looking at ranger rover and porsche suvs, in a completely different price range. But when thebpgine rang yesterday with this opportunity I figured heck why not.

mc2hill
06-16-2017, 09:55 AM
I have those on my 2000 Frontier, and polishing only makes them worse (I am guessing it is the heat from the process?).

jmorlan
06-16-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm going to ditch the 105 idea and stick to 205 on a lower speed. Because the more aggressive it get, the worse they get. So I'll go the less aggressive route on the correction and more stick to the cover up game lol

Joe@NextLevelDetail
06-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Like Mike has stated above, Polishing it is only going to make it more noticeable.

Polishing is not going to make the crows feet look any better, Its only going to improve the paint around it.

The only thing you can do is try to fill it in with some glaze.

MikeC78
06-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Polishing that will just make it worse, as said by the man himself. What you have is clear coat failure and any polishing is gonna make it worse. Id love to see Black Hole fix that or make it better maybe, but that requires a repaint to be fixed.

jmorlan
06-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Polishing that will just make it worse, as said by the man himself. What you have is clear coat failure and any polishing is gonna make it worse. Id love to see Black Hole fix that or make it better maybe, but that requires a repaint to be fixed.

Like Mike has stated above, Polishing it is only going to make it more noticeable.

Polishing is not going to make the crows feet look any better, Its only going to improve the paint around it.

The only thing you can do is try to fill it in with some glaze.
I'm not going to go that far. This was just a spontaneous purchase that might or might not turn into a decent deal. I was trying to correct some of the brush pinstiping, and as I did, the crows feet became apparent. So I backed off and just took it Easy and it is what it is.
I can tell though, I'm not going to be able to deal with it day to day. They look like hard water spots and it drives me crazy. I'll throw some black hole at it each wash for few weeks and see what it does for my sanity. And if not away it goes.