PDA

View Full Version : Uro Fiber vs foam

tampatopless
06-15-2017, 09:55 AM
So what did we decide for my using Speed on my 2014 Torch Red Mustang? BS Uro-Fiber or Lake Country Orange?

I need some cut but not a lot and I'm thinking a half-dozen of whatever (it's a Vert).

What say you?

Paul A.
06-15-2017, 11:45 AM
I would do 2 test sections, one with each pad, and then get a real good look/see and decide which one looks better. I'll be honest and say I have never used anything but orange or white foam pads though.

adamgayton81
06-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Like I stated with the two vehicles I did, the Uro Fiber and Speed was perfect for the two I had. The pics I posted speak for themselves and here is a pic of the black one 6 weeks later still beading...garage kept but daily driven.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/c4a24bc1f5227bf3eef0f267d4908ba2.jpg

I'll also be trying it on a clients special Spring Edition 2014 Camaro this weekend.

I've used foam pads with the speed and feel like it didn't remove a lot of the defects and I even used a green Rupes pad just to try it...same vehicle and HD Speed, used the Uro Fiber pads and miracles happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-15-2017, 06:52 PM
I would do 2 test sections, one with each pad, and then get a real good look/see and decide which one looks better. I'll be honest and say I have never used anything but orange or white foam pads though.

Paul is spot-on. All paints are different. Even different cars from the same manufacturer in the same year.

All the advice in the world won't replace you doing tests of your own with different pads/products to get the results that you are happy with. :xyxthumbs:

dlc95
06-15-2017, 09:58 PM
A friend and I did some cutting with M100/wool/rotary, and finished with Menzerna PF2500 on Uro Fiber pads, and they left micro marring. The car was a late model 200 getting prepped for the sales lot at a local dealership. It cleaned up with Rupes UHS system.

I also did a private clients black Camaro ss. I believe it was a 2010. I used the Rupes Keramik/yellow microfiber, and while it removed all the defects, it tended to haze the finish. The yellow foam left great gloss, but also left some defects. The UHS system was the happy medium in that situation.

Sometimes I can get away with microfiber, and sometimes I can't. It just depends on the paint.

Like Mike Phillips says - foam tends to finish nicer, and more consistently than a fiber pad.

Maybe try a dedicated microfiber finishing pad? The Meguiar's is really nice.

Mike Phillips
06-16-2017, 07:26 AM
So what did we decide for my using Speed on my 2014 Torch Red Mustang? BS Uro-Fiber or Lake Country Orange?

I would do 2 test sections, one with each pad, and then get a real good look/see and decide which one looks better.

Paul is spot-on.... no pun intended.

Do a Test Spot and then examine the results. I you really want to see what's taking place at the surface level, chemically strip the paint where you did both test spots and then inspect with bright swirl finder light.

To be fair to both pads, you need to have controls in place,

Same type of pad, that is cutting, polishing or finishing
Same mount of product
Same number of passes
Same speed setting
Same size area
Same downward pressure or same lack of pressure etc.

Basically, use great technique as you should for the pad, tool and product.

A

Like Mike Phillips says - foam tends to finish nicer, and more consistently than a fiber pad.

Agree.

I think what I type is, when comparing foam to microfiber pads,

Foam pads will tend to finish out nicer more consistently on a wider spectrum of paint systems than fiber pads

And part of the reason for this is because fibers act as a form of abrasive. I've explained this using the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System as an analogy.

Meguiar's introduced this system to change the production detailing industry by getting rid of the universally abused rotary buffer. The production detailing industry uses the rotary buffer for SPEED, not quality.

The idea was to replace the rotary buffer with a free spinning orbital polisher, the G100 or the MT300. (same 8mm free spinning orbital polishing action)

To make up for the loss of direct drive power and speed offered by the rotary buffer the incorporated a microfiber pad or a FIBER pad to assist in faster defect removal. The fibers act as a form of abrasive plus aid the actual abrasives in the compound and polish.

Car Detailing History 101

:)

dlc95
06-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Mike, thanks for the clarification!