PDA

View Full Version : New Formula for Optimum Protectant and Tire Shine?

HAN
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I just noticed on the AG description that they each have "new formula" .Can anyone that has used the new formulas tell us the difference? In particular, is the scent of the new Optimum Protectant any better? I would order another gallon in a heartbeat if the scent was better!

(IMHO- the only con of the Optimum protectant is the scent)

Thanks,

Pete

budman3
12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I have the new Protectant but have yet to use it nor have I used the old version ... but the new one has an interesting scent. It definitely isn't offensive. I'm not sure if you have used Meguair's #40 but it kind of smells like that but to a less invasive way. It's hard to describe, sort of like a chemical smell mixed with a hint of new car scent maybe?? Sorry I'm not much help, its really hard to discribe scents :).

Anthony Orosco
12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
The new Pro+ has a "new car" smell and a bit thicker. Same great low sheen and same great UV protection. Non greasy....in fact you can't really tell it's on the material, very low sheen look.

The new tire shine is more workable and user friendly. Works through a sprayer or by sponge application and it's water-based.

Anthony

Driven Auto Detail
12-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I never used the old formulas of either, but I do have a gallon of each of the new formulas.

Since I'm not sure what the old formula Protectant Plus smelled like, I can't compare. However, I like the scent of the new formula. As budman3 said, it does remind me of #40. As far as the performance, I love Protectant Plus. As Anothony said, it has a very low sheen. This is a big factor for me as I am very picky about the products that I use in my business. Another great thing about Protectant Plus is that it doesn't have that greasy feel to it. Like the description says, it's very "silky" to the touch. Hard to explain, but I like it.

As for the Tire Shine, again I have never used the old formula but I like the new formula. It has a nice sheen to it and since it's water-based, no greasy feeling on your hands. After washing, I spray each tire and let sit for 10-15 minutes. This allows the tire shine to soak into the rubber. I then go back with a dedicated MF towel and swipe the whole tire. Wiping it down with a dedicated MF towel gives it a nice even look.

I've used a number of interior and tire dressings and these two are my favorites. This is why I've chosen to use them on my customers vehicles.